Tell me more about the SR1911...why is it a better platform?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
Looking at getting a 1911 pistol.
I have always wanted one, just never bought one.
American made is a MUST for me, no foreign parts either, if I can help it..... don't care how nice they are.

For those that have owned a SR1911:

Why is it better than other versions; S&W, Taurus, Springfield, 1911s?

I am a lefty, anyone know if Ruger is considering a Ambidextrous mag drop or safety model in the near future?

gunman42782

Hunter
If American made is a must, then you can forget Taurus and 90% of the Springfield models. Both made in Brazil. Smith and Wesson's 1911s are nice, but have an external extractor that I am not fond of. That pretty much leaves Colt or Ruger or one of the many semi-custom shops, such as Wilson, Les Baer, etc. You can't go wrong with a Colt, after all, they have been building them for a hundred years. But, the Ruger is, IMHO, just as good at a whole lot less money.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info.
Yes, American made it important, I didnt know for sure but, I knew several companies used "Import" parts, I just didnt want to shoot my mouth off and bust the wrong company out.

Taurus and Springfield are off my list then, thank you....

gunman42782

Hunter
I forgot to mention Remington by the way. They seem to be a well made 1911, American made.

The Wall

Single-Sixer
It's a good 1911 just like all the other good 1911's. Other than manufacture, color, it's Rugers first, and some inconsequential changes it's just like many of the other basic 1911's.

Tipper

Bearcat
I would buy the ruger especially if its your first 1911.
Reason:
1 ruger don't make no junk
2 its almost a collectors item now
3 people are paying as much as $999
4 it had some gliches in the begining but they seem to be ironed out
5 from all reports its a shooter, mine is.
6 its a damm good looking 1911
7 they are more available now
my favorite has been my colt, but I'm now leanin towards the ruger. The S&W e model is a nice one, same for the back ops para and of course the colt. Best part they are all made in the good ole USA.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
If you can get one for around $700.00 it is hard to beat! You can occasionally find a real nice pre 70 series Colt for 700-800 dollars locally here, but few and far between. I recently scored a real gem and prefer it to the Ruger, but not because anything wrong with the SR. Had a Kimber and they rock too, great trigger, very accurate even if you got the doomsdayers whining about the horrors of MIM and cast etc....I have found that pretty much any 1911 will shoot darn accurate, loose or not. Case in point, AMT Hardballer I took in trade.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
I've owned Kimbers, Colts, Springers, Para's and a couple others.

I like the Ruger best because.........

1. It's a Ruger.
2. Very accurate and reliable without having to buy a bunch of crap and change everything to get it to run.
3. Made in the U.S.A..
4. Cost me less than $600.00 NIB. I ain't passin' that up for nothin'! It's easily a $700.00 pistol.

These reasons are why it's "better" than other mass produced 1911's I've owned.

'Course lots of folks buy a bunch of crap and change all of the parts before they even shoot the thing. Hell, if you got the money to waste, knock yourself out. I'd rather use it on ammo.

jeffjeeptj

Bearcat
The Ruger does not have the Firing Pin safety like a Series 80 Colt. That was important to me. Less mechanical things that have to move to work.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
I wish I could find one for $600 bucks, I have not been blessed with seeing that price yet.....

Thanks for the insight Gents, it is making me lean even harder to lightening my wallet soon ha-ha.

I did find a new Stainless Remington 1911R1 for $670. It in stock and available unlike the Ruger SR1911.

mdewitt71

Single-Sixer
I walked into 3 shops today and called 4 others; was told that Distributers are not even taking orders right now on SR1911s.
Guess they are that far behind, I would think they are gonna miss out on alot of business when people opt for different guns instead of the wait.

Latest posts