"The Mighty Stopping Power of a 1911"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

31f513d40550c03fe5aaeeb99f3a2043205c3b33c350c2ecf412454cd18eacda.jpg

but...
I remember very well, my very first M-16 orientation class. The DI told us, "more power than a 'effin' elephant gun".:rolleyes::rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
There seems to be no shortage of folks on gun forums who actually believe that the 1911, firing 45 acp, is second only to a nuclear bomb in destructive power. As a handgun, it does do the job that it needs to do, so I have no problem with those that are in love with the 1911. I'm just not one of them.

There's more to a 1911 .45acp than merely it's appearance and caliber. It's a political, military, and cultural symbol of the history of the USA. Much like the AK, M1 Garand, swords, and other weapons that have appeared on flags, shields, and banners throughout history. They have meaning far deeper and wider than just their technical lethality. :)

redfernclan

Bearcat
I don't own one, but I do love them. I think for most, the relationship began when you were packing one in the service. Depending on it to get you out of a bad situation. Coming to rely on it to not fail when needed. Over time, you begin to trust in the weapon.
And a relationship is born.
Much the same as a trusted hunting rifle that the two of you have many stories to tell.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
I don't advocate this BUT!
All I know is if you go shooting porcupines, they will take four or five 38's to stop or two or three 357's to stop, BUT if you shoot them once with a 45, they cease to function!
Disclaimer: OK, so we were younger and dummer back then!
Porkies get the death sentence in my neighborhood as I have seen the destruction they can do to farm buildings . They actually knaw on old fashioned aluminum siding . I put them in same category as the tunneling "dirt pig " aka groundhogs .....

harley08

Blackhawk
I had a Viet Nam Vet tell when me he was in his fox hole out of nowhere a young skinny Vietnam regular was going to stab him (from the top of his fox hole) with an SKS. This Viet Nam Vet took his .45 and fired 2 or 3 rounds and blew the Vietnam regular right out of the fox hole.

Latest posts