taper crimp die question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I see a lot of references to the Lee 'factory crimp' die. It appears that this is nothing more than a plain ole 'taper crimp' die. Q1: am I correct in this assumption? Q2: why is this the leading recommendation when RCBS (and others) have been making a plain taper crimp die for years?
THANKS,
John

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The Lee 'factory crimp' die varies in it's type of crimp according to the cartridge. The revolver rounds have a roll crimp. The semi-auto's have a taper crimp. The rifle rounds have a collar crimp.

An additional feature of the straight walled case dies is that there is a post sizing carbide ring that irons the case out as it is withdrawn from the die. It makes sure the case is not bulged but can also reduce the diameter of some large lead bullets.

mikld

Blackhawk
Jimbo gave a good description of Lee's FCDs, rifle and pistol (many are confused and/or use the same name for both). In my opinion, and I am not a Lee hater, the Lee FCD for handgun cartridges is worthless. I had been reloading for 25+ years before I tried an FCD (out of curiosity). I tried one for my .44 Magnums. The Lee FCD ruined my perfectly sized bullets and resulted in leading (I had worked out leading problems years ago). I punched out the carbide sizing ring and tried it again. I got uneven funny shaped crimps. My FCD now resides in a landfill somewhere in So. Oregon.

If I had a problem with chambering a round, I would find out what the problem was, not just resize the cartridge in the final step. I have reloaded 45 ACP for 17 years or so and 9mm for mebbe 12 years and have never had a need to use a "bandaid fix" on any of my ammo. If I had chambering problems, I'll find out why and fix it. If one wants to use an FCD, I got no problem with that, but I really don't like new reloaders being told "just get an FCD and you'll be OK", rather than learning how to troubleshoot their handloads and correct any problems...

Now the Lee FCD for bottlenecked cases is another animal altogether, I have 2 and use them...

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I use the Lee FCD on .357 and .41 mag with no apparent (at least to me) problems, at least on jacketed bullets. Have not tried lead bullets with it. You can adjust for how much roll crimp and more and less taper crimp. I have some polymer coated bullets on order and will try it with them when it comes. I also use the Lee FCD on the 2 rifle calibers I am reloading now.
I have had to fool with most of my Lee dies a little bit when setting them up. Cleaning, maybe polishing, adjusting. I am sure that the "better" brands of dies are made better. So just order the one that you like. I started my revolver reloading with the Lee FCD and have not seen a reason not to like it yet. Maybe I just am missing it.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I also use the Lee 'factory crimp' dies on almost all my reloads. It separates the crimping from the bullet seating operation which sometimes can be a problem and they are easy to adjust for more or less crimp.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I use the FCDs on 4 revolver, 1 auto pistol and 5 rifle cartridges. All have performed as advertised, and I prefer to seat and crimp in two steps. Among other things, the FCD allows me to do that without constantly dinking around with the combo seating/crimp die to achieve the same result. The post-sizing carbide ring on the handgun calibers is a bonus, though I haven't seen that it has to work too hard with my reloads.

I've crushed handgun cases doing the seat/crimp operation simultaneously. There are several ways this can happen. One is uneven case lengths. Lee advertises the FCD is reasonably tolerant of length variations. Some folks never trim their handgun brass--I do, so I haven't really put this quality to the test. I do know I've never yet crushed a case with the FCD, even set "way down" to see if Lee's claim you "can't do it" holds water. It seems to.

Cleaning and a bit of fluff and buff prior to use was mentioned. Just as a matter of course, I take a new set of dies out of the box and head outside with a can of brake cleaner. After disassembly, everything gets cleaned, checked for burrs and deburred as required (I've done no more deburring on Lee's dies than others.) Then things get lubed lightly, and reassembled. Back in the house, the dies get adjusted and generally don't require additional service for quite a while. I've found this drill to be beneficial regardless of die brand.

Best advice I can give about the FCD is "Try it, and if you like it, great. If not, you're not out much money and you can always sell it." I understand Lee's sold a gazillion of these dies, with few complaints, so maybe they're on to something! ;)

Rick C

mikld

Blackhawk
Separating the seating from crimping is not die dependant. I can use any seater die and any crimp die (but I choose the Redding profile Crimp for my revolver loads). I wonder how folks made reloads that would chamber before Lee introduced their FCD for handguns... :?: :shock:

NikA

Buckeye
I thought that's why all those Wilson-type case gauges existed: to check that all your loads will chamber before it matters. They've been around forever, and Lyman just released a couple new designs with multiple cartridge sizes on one block.

I use the Lee FCDs for every pistol cartridge I load. I figure they are as cheaply available as any other crimp die, new or used, and give me the added bonus of checking my cartridge dimension meet SAAMI spec. If I don't want that but still want the crimp die body, I'd remove the crimp sleeve and put it in the next size up.

Ka6otm

Blackhawk
Jimbo357mag said:
I also use the Lee 'factory crimp' dies on almost all my reloads. It separates the crimping from the bullet seating operation which sometimes can be a problem and they are easy to adjust for more or less crimp.

So do I, all except for precision rifle reloads. The Lee die also eliminates the problem of getting different amounts of crimp on cartridges if your cases vary in length.

loaded round

Hunter
Say what you want, but I use all Dillon dies in my 550"s and have yet found a need for a Lee FCD. I started reloading over 45 years ago and load for 19 different calibers and gauges.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Just goes to show you you cant please everyone. I too crimp as a added step. The lee
FCD's work great unless you are shooting bullets greatly oversize for caliber such as
.456" bullets in a .45 Colt SAA. And they are inexpensive...and....you don't have to keep adjusting your seater plug to crimp as an extra step with the seater die.
I own at least a dozen FCD's , both rifle and pistol.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I am firmly in the camp of separate seating and crimping, but I do not use a LFCD. Most of my seating dies are Redding. I use chamber checkers for all my semi auto rounds.

This thread has shown me just one more reason to not use one. Sometimes you want oversize bullets. Shoot Colt SAA's any amount and you will know what I mean there.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
NikA said:
I thought that's why all those Wilson-type case gauges existed: to check that all your loads will chamber before it matters.

Hi,

Ok, let's say I'm gonna toss my FCD and buy a Wilson (type) gauge. I use it, and find my rounds are oversized. What do I do now?

This is one place the FCD makes some sense to me...

Rick C

loaded round

Hunter
Define ''oversized''.

quote="Rick Courtright"]
NikA said:
I thought that's why all those Wilson-type case gauges existed: to check that all your loads will chamber before it matters.

Hi,

Ok, let's say I'm gonna toss my FCD and buy a Wilson (type) gauge. I use it, and find my rounds are oversized. What do I do now?

This is one place the FCD makes some sense to me...

Rick C[/quote]

gwpercle

Bearcat
Lee Factory Crimp dies are great for people who don't know how , or can't figure out how , to properly adjust their crimping dies. Years ago , before FCD , you had to learn how to adjust dies to get the desired crimp , be it taper or roll . Die adjustment is not rocket science but it takes some experience to learn. Maybe the instructions that came with dies and contained in loading manuals were better written and illustrated back then . I figured it out and I'm not very technical .
I've been loading for close to 50 years now and never needed a FCD or Wilson case gauge to do it with.
Gary

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
gwpercle said:
Lee Factory Crimp dies are great for people who don't know how , or can't figure out how , to properly adjust their crimping dies.
Not true. I know how to adjust a seating and crimping die but I prefer a separate crimping die and if I am going to have a separate crimping die the Lee FCD works well and for not much investment. It's just logical. :D

Mr. Don

Bearcat
gwpercle said:
Lee Factory Crimp dies are great for people who don't know how , or can't figure out how , to properly adjust their crimping dies. Years ago , before FCD , you had to learn how to adjust dies to get the desired crimp , be it taper or roll . Die adjustment is not rocket science but it takes some experience to learn. Maybe the instructions that came with dies and contained in loading manuals were better written and illustrated back then . I figured it out and I'm not very technical .
I've been loading for close to 50 years now and never needed a FCD or Wilson case gauge to do it with.
Gary

This.
When I first started loading I needed the Lee FD, but as time went by and I learned to use and adjust my dies properly I found myself needing the FCD less and less. My .38/.357 FCD never comes out of the box anymore. My 9mm gets used occasionally to remove a bulge from a case but never to crimp. Loading on a single stage and one less lever pull per round is a good thing.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Jimbo357mag said:
gwpercle said:
Lee Factory Crimp dies are great for people who don't know how , or can't figure out how , to properly adjust their crimping dies.
Not true. I know how to adjust a seating and crimping die but I prefer a separate crimping die and if I am going to have a separate crimping die the Lee FCD works well and for not much investment. It's just logical. :D

+1

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
gwpercle said:

Hi,

I've been loading just a hair over 50 years, and it's true, I've never "needed" those items either.

But just to toss in a bit of perspective, I've also had teeth for close to 65 years and never "needed" a toothbrush to keep them clean. It sure makes the job easier though, so the extra expense of keeping one or two of them around has been worth it to me. Maybe not so much to others...

Point being, at the risk of tedious repetition, one of the great things about reloading is there are often many different ways to do the same job, with satisfactory results from each. It's not a "right" way or "wrong" way proposition: you pays your money and you takes your choice. Simple as that.

Rick C