Taller rear sight blade for a Maximum

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Paul D Heppner

Bearcat
As the subject line suggests I am in need of a taller rear blade. I have a 7.5 inch gun that is in fact sighted in for 50 yards, but, the rear assembly is WAY up there. I would like to get it down a little tighter to the frame. I am using a 180 gr bullet at just under 1600 fps with excellent accuracy. I have seen different factory blades offered in the Brownells catalogue some of which are "high" for different models. My question is which model and what are the actual heights of the different blades.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Well, the 357 Maxi is a great gun. As for a taller rear sight, I've not heard of anybody making any. But, maybe a custom gunsmith could make a few. They should not be too hard to make.
Find a post by our member "sixshot" and ask if he can get something like that made. His son is making some fiber optic front sights for us right now, and they have done some rear peep sights. So, to make some "taller" rear blades shouldn't bee too hard for him to make. And, his prices are very reasonable for what he offers.

txn63

Bearcat
Hamilton Bowen lists a rear sight for the Super Redhawk, GP-100, and the Hunter model that is 0.40 taller than the standard Blackhawk sight. You might find a factory sight for one of those models, or just spring for the Bowen which a far superior sight IMO.

Paul D Heppner

Bearcat
Filing the front blade would in fact solve the problem. However that is a permanent fix that alters the gun forever. A simple blade change is quite reversible. I will be contacting Sixshot. Thanks for the info.

David Bradshaw

Blackhawk
Paul.... do not permanently alter a Maximum unless you just have to have a bigger bore on that frame. No secret my preference for a stock .357 Maximum. Contender suggests a higher rear sight blade, fashioned from sheet stock. If you can find one of Jim Clark's Ruger rear sights from around 1980, it provides a deep notch for a sharper picture (deep notch helps keep eye on TOP PLANE of sights----where focus focusses). If .040" higher-than-stock Bowen click adjusted sight matches your current elevation adjustment, his sight offers an excellent alternative.

Sounds like you already know enough about the Ruger .357 Maximum to appreciate its attributes. Therefore, make your correction at the rear sight without altering revolver.

I prefer the elevation screw to have three threads of engagement at highest adjustment, and to keep adjustable iron sights lubricated.
David Bradshaw

Paul D Heppner

Bearcat
David, we are in complete agreement. I am in fact going to try and fab my own blade today. The original blade is .042 thick. I have some .040 steel shim stock that should work and I have the skills. And yes the Maximum is a top notch deer whacker.

dwayne

Single-Sixer
I replaced the rear sight in my BHFT with one from Hamilton Bowen. The Bowen version is taller than the stock version, provides positive adjustment and a much better sight picture. If I were in your shoes, I'd call Bowen and ask which model he recommends. That way, you can be sure of a successful solution via a very high quality product.

Coogs

Maximum
That was why, at least I assume, that there are two variations of the 7 1/2" Max front sight blade. Early Maxi's, I'd say probably under serial #600-04000 or so have a very high front sight blade, after that until the end of shipped production, which was March of 1983, the 7 1/2" guns all have a low front sight. Just a little more Max info, Coogs.