Take a Look at these Primers Shot in P Series - Safe?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Welding Rod

Bearcat
I just bought what appeared to be an unfired P89 (totally stock) and shot it for the first time yesterday.

It is a 315-9XXX number.

This is factory S&B ammo. The primers appear perfectly normal when shot in my other 9's

Blazer Brass and Independence, both new factory loads, do the same in this pistol, and also appear normal in my other 9's.

Gun seems great but these primers got my attention.

Any thoughts on 'em? Safe or no?

ry%3D400.jpeg

ry%3D480.jpeg

Anyone know how to make my links work?

dacaur

Single-Sixer
cant see the pics

you were missing the .jpg at the end... dont know why thy are so small though....

ry%3D400.jpg

ry%3D480.jpg

revhigh

Hawkeye
Sure is a nice firm strike, that's for sure .... LOL.

I'm sure it's OK .... try a different brand of ammo and see if the results are the same.

REV

Pinecone

Blackhawk
welding rod, Welcome to the forum. With "cratered" primers, as you show in the pics, I would be checking or have checked, the "headspace" on that pistol just to be on the safe side. Also check the firing pin tip and "protrusion"!......................Dick :wink:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Yep, welcome to the forum.

I'd have to say, try some different ammo. But if the new ammo does it too, then yeah, it might be a problem.

-- Sam

GhosT

Blackhawk
OK, Clueless.... not being a smartass.....
And the pics are small to me.

If these rounds fired reliably.....
What am I missing?

Too deep a primer strike, not deep enough?
What am I missing?

If just a matter that the primers are penetrated...,
I can't imagine it being a problem with a P89!
They are freaking TANKS!

FEEL FREE to set me straight!

Fishslayer

Single-Sixer
Cratered primers are a sign of overpressure. You don't generally see it in factory loads.

I've heard S&B are loaded hotter than most, but still...

tkarter

Single-Sixer
They are loaded hotter than others. But, they stay together and haven't ever hurt either of my P series.

You probably don't want them in your kel tec P 11.

tk

Welding Rod

Bearcat
What the pictures show are "cratered" primers. All factory ammo fired in this gun so far does this (Independence, Blazer Brass, and S&B).

Cratered primers show metal that after firing has flowed back into the firing pin hole. Additionally, some of these primers show that the metal that has flowed back into the firing pin hole is then being swiped partially off the primer during extraction / ejection. The problems, assuming normal ammo pressure, would be too large a firing pin hole and / or excessive headspace.

Don't understand why Ruger would make a gun like that?

Here is a link that shows a better picture: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=98236

You can see the lower right and lower left primer are actually missing metal that was swiped off of the back flow.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
If all ammo is doing that and you have a new Ruger send it back.
If you have a used Ruger send it back.

The ammo you asked about is what I commented on out of experience with it.

The only good gun that could do that is a dirty one when fired.

If the action goes closed and every brand ammo does that then it is too much headspace and needs manufacturer attention.

If it is just S&B ammo doing it I call that standard performance and maybe a reason not to buy ammo you don't think will be good for what you are doing.

tk

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Welding Rod":1y5ip1a0 said:
Don't understand why Ruger would make a gun like that?
Oh come on, you sound smarter than that. You can have an issue with a particular gun that is not a designed-in flaw in the entire model line.

Sorry to hear of your problem, but I agree with the others; If all ammo is doing this, send the gun back to Ruger for a checkup. If it's just S&B, skip the S&B.

-- Sam

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
My guess and it's only a guess but, it could be that the previous owner fired uncoated lead bullets through this pistol and there is a build up of lead were the rifling starts, this would effect the headspce of the round.

tkarter

Single-Sixer
I will say I will fire any ammo in my P89 that is a manufactured ammo.

It will shoot it.

If yours won't then maybe you need to go beat up who you bought it from.

Or whatever is in your realm of what you do in such circumstances.

No matter what I really think that ammo didn't hurt your handgun period.

tk

the cratering is a little concern but then he also said it looks like part of that is the metal on the primer being stretched or bent as the round is extracted and ejected.... that's not goo in itself and seems to me would cause the firing pin to fail.

If the head space is off and the round is not fully chambering as I understand it, that can be a really bad thing... but if it's from build up then it should be able to be cleaned out, right?

Or the factory could replace or repair the chamber... heck, you could just buy or borrow another barrel right?

tkarter

Single-Sixer
blume357":qfrfryea said:
the cratering is a little concern but then he also said it looks like part of that is the metal on the primer being stretched or bent as the round is extracted and ejected.... that's not goo in itself and seems to me would cause the firing pin to fail.

If the head space is off and the round is not fully chambering as I understand it, that can be a really bad thing... but if it's from build up then it should be able to be cleaned out, right?

Or the factory could replace or repair the chamber... heck, you could just buy or borrow another barrel right?

Good guns may display that shooting S&B ammo. Maybe soft primers or a very hard hitting firing pin.

If all ammo does that then it is time to suspect the handgun.

Is all I am trying to say.

tk

GhosT

Blackhawk
Sidenote/Thanks Guys.

Never seen cratered primers before...
After reading yer posts...DUH,see the cratering...

And taught me something new ;)