Strange diameter for .38 spl? Would these work?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I have a 1000 count box of lead semi-wadcutters at 145 gr, what are obviously intended for .38/357 revolver bullets BUT they are sized at .357"? As lead, shouldn't they be .358"? I don't think I have a 9mm that would even consider feeding these due to bullet profile, but I have several 38s that need feeding, and am wondering, could these be expected to work in a .38 (most likely a S&W K frame)? I expect it would be some amount of HP38/W231, a very moderate load.

Paul B

Hunter
You might want to make up a dummy round in 9MM and do a plunk test, I've slugged the barrel on a few 9MMs and they weren't .255" or even .256" One Ruger, a Taurus were .257" and an S&W was estimated at .257" based on measuring a 5 groove barrel. I took several readings on the slug so diameter is considered an estimation. The bullets I run in my 9MMs is a 125 gr. truncated cone type that I size to .357 with no problem. Shoots quite well in my 9s.
Paul B.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
You might want to make up a dummy round in 9MM and do a plunk test, I've slugged the barrel on a few 9MMs and they weren't .255" or even .256" One Ruger, a Taurus were .257" and an S&W was estimated at .257" based on measuring a 5 groove barrel. I took several readings on the slug so diameter is considered an estimation. The bullets I run in my 9MMs is a 125 gr. truncated cone type that I size to .357 with no problem. Shoots quite well in my 9s.
Paul B.
.355?

Johnnu2

Hunter
I use whatever I have at hand...typically .357 and .358....... can't tell the difference for plinking and casual target shooting.

J

contender

Ruger Guru
As a caster,, I try & make a bullet sized to fit a specific firearm by measuring the throats, and slugging the barrel. Getting a .357 lead bullet may have been done to match a specific sized throat & bore. NOT UNCOMMON!!!!!!!

You can easily use those in your .38/.357. The accuracy may or may not be "match grade" but easily enjoyed. Then again,, if your gun really likes them & is accurate,, you may want to buy more of them.

Rich/KY

Bearcat
Before I started castjng used a lot of commercial lead bullets that were a nominal .357 in several S&W revolvers and at moderate velocities didn't have any issues. All guns are can have quirks but until you load some and try then in your revolver there is no way to know.

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
Before I started castjng used a lot of commercial lead bullets that were a nominal .357 in several S&W revolvers and at moderate velocities didn't have any issues. All guns are can have quirks but until you load some and try then in your revolver there is no way to know.
I like to do my homework, but yes, nothing left to do but load up 50 or so and try them.

MHtractorguy

Single-Sixer
Yes, I was aware of that. But in your post, which I quoted in that post, you seemed to be saying .255 and that one was not familiar to me.:unsure:

I would be all over a .257 magnum.

Last edited:

Chief 101

Hunter
Over the years I've shot a ton of hollow base wadcutters in 38 caliber. They expand to your bore size. Now if these aren't hollow base dunno. If they are hollow base they make a hell of a hollow point.

Last edited:

Latest posts