Super Wrangler!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Yaworski

Bearcat
I don't have any data whatsoever but I wouldn't be surprised if Single Sixes do not sell well at all. I've looked at them before but the price put me off.

I bought my Single Six in 1992 because it was pretty cheap and I wanted a cheap .22 to teach my kids. I think that I paid $185. I just looked at current prices, my brain exploded.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Any one shopping check locked and loaded in Illinois . I bought my original wrangler from them with free shipping it was a real good price😊

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The wrangler achieved a few goals for Ruger:
1. More competitive in the lesser priced .22 handgun market.

2. Boost their .22 handgun sales since the SS costs so much to make now. And Ruger has sold so many SSs over so many years, they have to compete with the sales of their own guns on the used market!

Cost Savings:
The secret to cost savings of the wrangler is MIM small parts rather than casting them. And to a much greater extent the replacement of the prep for nice blued or polished stainless finishes. Lots of labor savings in time and less highly skilled/paid employees! The spray on ceracote finish doesn't quite hide a multitude of the rough metal surfaces underneath! You could not sell a gun like that by just bluing over it. The zinc grip frame instead of alum alloy is the final cost savings.

Another thing Ruger solved with the wrangler free spin cyl was the easier chambering of ammo over the new models since introduced in 1973. And they didn't have to resort to the additional cost of the RIPS system for proper chamber-to-loading-gate alignment like they introduced in the New Vaquero and NM Flattops in 2005.

Yaworski

Bearcat
I'm going to have start watching the used gun cases for a "Super Wrangler." Maybe even sell my Wrangler and Chiapet.

I can't believe that I just wrote that . .. . sell a gun? Never.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
Looks as though they are going to be hot ticket. My local gun shop owner told me he has a lot of calls for the Super !

I'm going to have start watching the used gun cases for a "Super Wrangler." Maybe even sell my Wrangler and Chiapet.

I can't believe that I just wrote that . .. . sell a gun? Never.
why not ? I've sold many guns over the last 30 years , sure I have some regrets but by selling now and then, I've been able to enjoy many more than if I had just purchased what i could afford too keep

Last edited:

Yaworski

Bearcat
LOL each to their own but I don't think so

shoot I have probably 20 or so that I would sell right now if i was offered the right price

Of the [redacted] guns that I have, the only one I might consider selling would be my ChiaPet single action .22. I bought it because I couldn't get a Wrangler but now I have a Wrangler.

Everything else was bought for a specific reason. The possible exception is the 1911 that I bought at Christmas because it was only $299.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
The wrangler achieved a few goals for Ruger:
1. More competitive in the lesser priced .22 handgun market.

2. Boost their .22 handgun sales since the SS costs so much to make now. And Ruger has sold so many SSs over so many years, they have to compete with the sales of their own guns on the used market!

Cost Savings:
The secret to cost savings of the wrangler is MIM small parts rather than casting them. And to a much greater extent the replacement of the prep for nice blued or polished stainless finishes. Lots of labor savings in time and less highly skilled/paid employees! The spray on ceracote finish doesn't quite hide a multitude of the rough metal surfaces underneath! You could not sell a gun like that by just bluing over it. The zinc grip frame instead of alum alloy is the final cost savings.

Another thing Ruger solved with the wrangler free spin cyl was the easier chambering of ammo over the new models since introduced in 1973. And they didn't have to resort to the additional cost of the RIPS system for proper chamber-to-loading-gate alignment like they introduced in the New Vaquero and NM Flattops in 2005.
This Super got me thinking after the above analysis:
1. The quality, low price point has been very successful for Ruger, lots of sales, many different options
2. There is now a steel alloy cylinder frame offered, some have speculated the demise of the SS6

Could this open the door for something a SS7 in the same cost saving strategy?

Could this lead down the road to large frame revolvers with the same cost saving strategy?

May be that the coated finish could be offered in other models for a big difference in current prices

Vern142

Bearcat
I was late to the party again I guess. I just bought a stainless single-six convertible last week. Paid 700. for it. Primarily a gift for my newest grandson but I intended to use it with the magnum cylinder as I have a good quantity of that. Having issues with the cylinders hanging up and rounds not seating but I'll get it sorted out.
Wish I would have seen these wrangler convertibles coming.

I was late to the party again I guess. I just bought a stainless single-six convertible last week. Paid 700. for it. Primarily a gift for my newest grandson but I intended to use it with the magnum cylinder as I have a good quantity of that. Having issues with the cylinders hanging up and rounds not seating but I'll get it sorted out.

I wouldn't waste another second on regret…

I have nothing against the Wrangler, but the Single-Six is a step up, in my opinion.

When your grandson is giving that stainless Single-Six to HIS grandson… it'll be evident that it was worth it!

I have several Single-Sixes where the chambers are "tight." I have to keep them scrubbed out with a bore brush, and all is well.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You'll not regret the stainless model. Just recognize that SS tends to gall when machined especially when cutting tools become dull. Polishing the chambers with Mother's Mag Wheel polish makes big improvements! Use a magnifying glass to find and fix burrs, etc., in the chamber mouths.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye

I wouldn't waste another second on regret…

I have nothing against the Wrangler, but the Single-Six is a step up, in my opinion.

When your grandson is giving that stainless Single-Six to HIS grandson… it'll be evident that it was worth it!

I have several Single-Sixes where the chambers are "tight." I have to keep them scrubbed out with a bore brush, and all is well.
I have 2 single sizes and 2 wranglers . I like both models . Glad to see Ruger is competing with the Heritage market 😊