Super Wrangler versus Single Six?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Star43

Blackhawk
Ruger only made less than 20,000 of them in a period of about 3 1/2 months, summer of 1986. It was a Single Six with only 1 cylinder. Just the 22 LR cylinder. The gun is capable of shooting 22 mag but it only came with the 1 cylinder. I know the serial number range, starts with the 261 prefix. You can tell by looking at it upside down by the trigger guard on the frame and you will see what looks like a little house or arrow there. That signifies it came only with 1 cylinder. This was in 1986. Ruger also did this in 1975 and the mark they used them was a little star. I have 2 of the arrow guns. One is still in box unfired and I gave it to my son. Still unfired after all these years.

Star43

Blackhawk
Good luck finding a stainless single six in the valley here, heck same goes for a blued one. I have asked shops and they say they can't get them. Too back ordered. That's why I worry about them dropping the single six. It all started with me a couple of years ago when I tried looking for a stainless single six in 327. They said same thing then. Back ordered......still back ordered. Wonder if we are looking at the end of prod- uction for the Single Six ?? Makes you wonder.

Star43

Blackhawk
Don't get me wrong, I want to see them continued. It's just if, and it looks like it is, that the Super Wrangler is a big success and it being a lot cheaper to produce and make more money than a standard SS, well you figure it out.

Hankus

Blackhawk
Good luck finding a stainless single six in the valley here, heck same goes for a blued one. I have asked shops and they say they can't get them. Too back ordered. That's why I worry about them dropping the single six. It all started with me a couple of years ago when I tried looking for a stainless single six in 327. They said same thing then. Back ordered......still back ordered. Wonder if we are looking at the end of prod- uction for the Single Six ?? Makes you wonder.
Be patient; a local shop received several new Single Sixes recently, both blued and stainless.

Star43

Blackhawk
Well, that maybe explains it. You are on East coast. I'm originally from New England. God bless the Boston Red Sox.......anyway, maybe in California, it seems to be different in getting these guns. This state California, is so screwed up with gun laws and restrictions and "lists", that a lot of companies will defer from this place. A good friend of mine who had a shop for years retired and got sick of it. Another buddy has a pretty large shop and we talk all the time about the situation here, which is not the best.

Star43

Blackhawk
Personally I am happy with what I have now. Would I want more, of course, but the older guns I have now actually seen better built than what I have seen in new production guns....I'm good.

Star43

Blackhawk
From what I saw and held, which had some heft to it, it seemed more of a zinc type of metal. It was definitely different from the Single Six. Not as refined. That's why it is cheaper.

Star43

Blackhawk
I don't know what is currently used in single sixes today. In CA, I haven't seen a Single Six in a long time. But I would guess that there are MIM parts definitely in there. The Super Wrangler I saw was like I said , a type of zinc metal. You can check it out yourself. But, you are correct that it doesn't concern me at all, as I am happy with the older guns I have now. I believe Ruger has used MIM parts in all of their guns as cost cutting measure, but I do believe that Ruger guns have always been "overbuilt" as they say, and and that's fine with me.

bigbillyboy

Buckeye
After reading the last several posts I had to do some comparing . I compared 2 new model single sixes I own to my wrangler . The singles just have a more "smooth " feel and better lock up . Not trying to start any arguments as I like all three . Just wondering what others see in comparison ?

Star43

Blackhawk
Personally, I agree with you 100% Then again a Single Six costs about triple today. Ruger is trying to compete with the Heritages of the world. That is how the Wrangler came to be. Then Heritage had the 22 mag and the Wrangler didn't. Ruger being of safety concerns didn't want to do the 22 Mag in a regular Wrangler and that is how the Super Wrangler came to be. They beefed it up to handle the 22 mag, but to save money on prod- uction costs, they used the zinc like metal, which is much cheaper to produce. Comes down to money as it always seems to be. But the Super Wrangler is going to be much better than a darn Heritage, in my humble opinion. When I think what I paid for mine years ago, I'm glad I did.

rem58sport

Bearcat
Just returned from my N. Calif. LGS. Once again to my surprise they has a stainless NM Super Single Six. No case or mag cylinder and looked clean. The cylinder had a very definite tight drag at one repeatable point when rotating and very poor fitting factory grips. Drum roll.......$900.

Star43

Blackhawk
There you go. $900 for a used stainless SS. Again, I am happy with what I got. How old or I should say, what year do think it was made ?

Star43

Blackhawk
A used stainless Single Six, with no mag cylinder, no box or paperwork, and very poor fitting grips. For 900 bucks. God Bless America !!

Latest posts