Super Redhawk Alaskan

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chaneyd

Bearcat
Finally did it!! Won a NIB .44 mag Alaskan on Gunbroker. Can't wait to shoot it. Have several .44's but not an Alaskan. Won the bid for $650.00. Don't think that's too bad of a price. Anyone tell me what to expect when I get around to shooting this monster?

G2

Hunter
Recoil in the Alaskan 44 or 45/454 is not bad at all. Great grips, no bite anywhere. Stout 454's recoil but still not bad.

Enjoy, Congratts.

the fatman

Single-Sixer
:D Congrats! I agree with G2. After shooting the 44 Alaskan you'll scratch your head over people thinking the 44 is hard to shoot. :wink:

batmann

Single-Sixer
You will find that it is a great pistol to shoot. IMO, I find the felt recoil to less than my Smith 629 Mountain Gun and just as easy to carry.

certified angus

Bearcat
yer gonna like it :D pretty accurate little gun too. I let the guys at work shoot mine a couple of weeks ago. Most have not shot a handgun before, but all of them hit or came pretty close to hitting a pop can at 25 yards.

chaneyd

Bearcat
Took it out this weekend. What a blast! Unbelievably accurate at 25yds. Shot at clay pigeons. Once sight was adjusted had no problem hitting ALL of them with ease. What a hoot to shoot.

slowpoke

Single-Sixer
Congrats! The Alaskan .44 is definately on my short list of guns to get. Nice to hear the reports on how it shoots as well. Believe it or not I haven't shot a .44 Mag since I was 18 yrs old, (that was a long time ago)! Enjoy!

BGoff_SC

Bearcat
Great deal.

UPS left me a notice today. They're tring to deliver something from S. Ruger. I guess my Alaskan is coming back from the Mother Ship. Will try to be here tomorrow to receive it. Interested in seeing what they had to say and more so about the concerns I had with it.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I have a 454 alaskan I love to shoot. I already have a 3" 44 S&W 29 so I went with the 454 in the alaskan. I also have several 45 colt blackhawks so I have plenty of ammo for light loads.

BGoff_SC

Bearcat
UPS rang the bell today. The Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan (Sarah) is back.

4THsrha5-19-101.jpg

So that's 16 days to get to the Mother Ship and back again. They paid for the ride.

Of course I took her apart to see if they had done some corrective action. According to the enclosed letter they had repaired the hammer (arc like marks) and repaired the action. I could also see that they had completed some of the interior metal reduction that I wanted done. There were various points on the hammer and trigger group where excess metal and roughness had been removed.

They of course did not polish the interior on the body or the several parts but I can take care of that.

They stated that they had done a safety function check and that test firing had been done. OK.... So now all I got to do is clean her up, drag her down to the range and put a few rounds through her.

SRHA5-19-10.jpg

She's a real piece of work. Ruger Super Redhawks in .44 Mags and higher are notorious for their capabilities to kill on the barrel end and cripple on the back end.

Of course with the Hogue grips and, some finger grooves, and that extra cushion/ padding they put in there makes quite a difference. I've had 357s with worse recoil.

I've been a big Redhawk fans since the late 80's but that recoil and long barrel put me off. I used to see several of them sitting in Gun Shops up in the far North selling as "Used". Strangely enough they all used to come with a box of open ammo, with only 6 rounds missing. Somebody got the urge, put 6 rounds through her and went oops. My bad! Traded it in or sold it. I can understand that.

So far so good.

magnumtrail

Bearcat
The Alaskan has been by best Ruger purchase by far. Everything was right on my sample and the trigger pull rivals that of my classic Smiths. It has truly become one of my favorites and is one of the softest recoiling .44's I've shot. I've seen mixed reviews on the supplied Hogue's but they do make a huge difference in taking the "bite" out of the bark. I was so impressed with the Hogue's in fact, I installed a set on my 629 and turned it into a kitty cat too.

The Alaskan is strong, easy to carry and quick to deploy. The short tube is not a detriment at all as mine takes targets from 50-100 yards regularly if I do my part. It's also a great gun to get others started with big bore as it's very nimble with great balance and kicks like a .38 when loaded with specials - very accurate when loaded light too. I like mine so much that I'm thinking I need another sample in .454 (probably wouldn't turn down a .480 either if one presented itself).

Photos of mine:)
http://kellyinnovations.com/alaskan44.htm

Rob72

Bearcat
BGoff_SC":xn0aqxdd said:
She's a real piece of work. Ruger Super Redhawks in .44 Mags and higher are notorious for their capabilities to kill on the barrel end and cripple on the back end.

Of course with the Hogue grips and, some finger grooves, and that extra cushion/ padding they put in there makes quite a difference. I've had 357s with worse recoil.
Ya' know, I have an affinity for Hogue's nylon(hard) grips. Greatly preferred on .357 and J frames, for me. Soooo... I thought I'd put them on the Alaskan. :roll: Shooting plain old 240grs felt like the time I saved myself from a faceplant on ice by slapping the heels of my hands on the ground when my feet shot out from under me. I put the softie back on. :lol: