Super GP100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Onty

Single-Sixer
What's the difference between a Super and Standard GP100 besides the grips, Barrel shroud and cylinder?
I would say everything else:

"Ruger has added a new competition revolver to their Custom Shop products. The new wheel gun is called Super GP100. This is not just a tuned GP100 but rather a hybrid of a GP100 and Redhawk. It is based on a Redhawk frame that allows having a large 8-round .357 Magnum cylinder but it also inherited the dual-spring clockwork from the GP100/Super Redhawk which is more suitable to be tuned and allowed Ruger engineers to design a light competition trigger."

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...-hybrid-the-super-gp100-competition-revolver/ .

I am puzzled why Ruger didn't do the same and make SRH with Redhawk barrel, to get 41magnum, 44 magnum, 45 Colt, 454 and 480!?

Thel

Blackhawk
"
I am puzzled why Ruger didn't do the same and make SRH with Redhawk barrel, to get 41magnum, 44 magnum, 45 Colt, 454 and 480!?"

That makes two of us that are puzzled. If Ruger had done this they could have reduced the number of parts they would have had to maintain in inventory, reduced having different assembly processes and more. In the past I have had only Redhawks and GP100 and never a Super Redhawk (mainly because of appearance-the Alaskans weren't out then). If Ruger were to use SRH innards I would be all in for a .44 or .45 model in 4" bbl. Hamilton Bowen does offer a conversion of a SRH to use a RH barrel but it is a bit pricey for my pocketbook.

The only reason I can think why Ruger would not change is that current RH sales are doing ok.

As for looks I think the main critique was for the ventilated barrel and maybe the short cylinder. On the .44 or .45 this would not be the issue.

As to the difference between a standard GP100 and the Super GP100 the Super employs the larger Super Redhawk frame and cylinder compared the GP100 as is a large frame vs. medium frame. Cylinder diameter, e.g., is larger as is the frame in height and length.

Last edited:

Onty

Single-Sixer
Having accurate, shootable revolver is one thing. How it looks is another matter. When I saw Super GP100, the first thing that came to my mind was comment by by Ross Seyfried about one of those fancy revolvers from S&W Performance Center, "it has every flavor except vanilla".

Just take a look at some of those Korth revolvers https://www.google.com/search?q=kor...ThpAucQ_AUoAXoECAIQAw&biw=1920&bih=1047&dpr=1 .

To be fair, they have also some conventional ones, IMO they look NICE; Classic, Heritage Edition and Mongoose https://www.nighthawkcustom.com/revolvers

Last edited:

Onty

Single-Sixer
"
I am puzzled why Ruger didn't do the same and make SRH with Redhawk barrel, to get 41magnum, 44 magnum, 45 Colt, 454 and 480!?"

That makes two of us that are puzzled. If Ruger had done this they could have reduced the number of parts they would have had to maintain in inventory, reduced having different assembly processes and more. In the past I have had only Redhawks and GP100 and never a Super Redhawk (mainly because of appearance-the Alaskans weren't out then). If Ruger were to use SRH innards I would be all in for a .44 or .45 model in 4" bbl. Hamilton Bowen does offer a conversion of a SRH to use a RH barrel but it is a bit pricey for my pocketbook.

The only reason I can think why Ruger would not change is that current RH sales are doing ok.
(y)

Also, Bowen makes Redhawk and SRH Alaskan using Anaconda barrels http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/workshop.html . Those barrels make a significant difference in appearance. If I am spending considerable amount of money on such custom revolver, other thing I will do is hammer spur like on SBH, new Anaconda or S&W N-frame. Hammer spur on current Ruger DA revolvers just doesn't make sense.

brutus

Bearcat
When the Super GP 100's first came out I knew I wanted one. Tried a local GS and was told to new can't get any. Stopped at a small gun shop and the owner said he knew a Ruger rep and would give her a call. A week later I had my new Super GP100 in 9mm. The serial # is 70. I have a range setup behind the house and this is my "put many close together holes in cardboard fun toy."

Thel

Blackhawk
"If I am spending considerable amount of money on such custom revolver, other thing I will do is hammer spur like on SBH, new Anaconda or S&W N-frame. Hammer spur on current Ruger DA revolvers just doesn't make sense." - Onty

I wonder if the hammer spur is the same width as the body of the hammer for casting convenience? In time past Jim Stroh, since retired, and others offer to build up a thumb pad on the hammer with welds and some shaping, checkering and all. After getting a Colt barrel for an Anaconda, the Super Redhawk and paying for all the gunsmithing one is not too far from the base price of some of the Korths you are showing. Another revolver of interest is the German Janz which can have caliber conversions made for them. See:

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, the differences have been explained.

But I have had folks trash the LOOKS of the gun w/o actually seeing or handling one. I saw my first one at SHOT.
My second one at our FoNRA event.
My third one is MY gun. I use it in USPSA competition, and I REALLY enjoy it. It has balance, comfort, and is a shooter!
As for looks,, well, I feel a performer has good looks no matter what!