Stolen valor

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pyth0n

Buckeye
I am a veteran of a US Army Military Intelligence Unit. I am also the Father to two Sons.

My youngest is training for Rescue Diver now with the Coast Guard. He said he felt the need to serve out of respect he feels for his brother.

My first Son, Ryan, chose to follow my path. He served with a direct action capable Intelligence Unit. He was killed in action in the middle east.

When I think back about my service, I don't feel glory. We received Presidential Unit Citations, medals, awards, etc. But I remember the friends that I lost. I remember how truly necessary I felt the work we did was. I remember my Son, who was and is a hero.

These fake people are not stealing anything. They tell their obviously fake bullshit. If you look at a real war veteran, if he does talk about it, you will see the loss in their eyes. I did it because the job had to be done. My Son died doing the job he felt had to be done. My remaining Son is risking himself doing a job he feels must be done.

Those liars will remain the pathetic nothing they already know themselves to be.
salute-to-veterans.jpg

Jrken124

Bearcat
I grew up with my best friend from the time we were just kids. We fished, hunted, went to school together and basically learned to be young men together. When we graduated we were both classified 1A and eligible for the draft so we enlisted in the Navy together. The buddy system they called it. Went through recruit training together and found ourselves getting assigned to separate duty stations. After our A school training, I was off to sea duty in the Gulf of Tonkin and my buddy got shore duty here in the states. I proudly did my duty aboard the USS Constellation but was heartbroken to find out my best friend had not. A few months after boot camp he had had enough and went AWOL. Arrested and sent to the brig in Philadelphia where he awaited and finally received his discharge from the Navy. Although we remained friends and after my four year enlistment we continued to hunt and fish and hang out but we both knew things were just different between us now. We never spoke much about it and just kind of let it fade away with time. We are both near 70 now and when I saw a picture of my old friend on Facebook wearing a Vietnam Veteran hat with ribbons, I was heartbroken all over again. I felt as if he had stuck a knife directly into me. I don't believe he could have picked a better way to shatter for good our relationship. We are no longer friends. I will always have fond memories of the friend I had as a boy but not of the man he became.

If one didn't actually serve there, why wear a hat with Viet Nam on it?

Is serving in the military during the Viet Nam era any different than serving at any other era?
Yes, while Korea vets were the forgotten warriors, Vietnam vets are the hated warriors. Never before or since have American vets been more disrespected.

When even vets from previous wars don't want to associate with you it shows just how disliked Vietnam vets are.

Yes, while Korea vets were the forgotten warriors, Vietnam vets are the hated warriors. Never before or since have American vets been more disrespected.

When even vets from previous wars don't want to associate with you it shows just how disliked Vietnam vets are.

In WW1 and WW2, vets were honored for their service to the nation. The generosity of the GI Bill after WW2 is evidence of the gratitude of the nation toward those that served during that conflict. And while the Korean War were also honored, that entire war was fought in the aftermath of WW2, when Americans were war weary, and fearful of what the next war might bring now that atomic weapons were a reality. But as you said, the Vietnam vets were not honored, but generally despised. Leftist anti-war rhetoric, echoed by the news media, painted American soldiers as "baby killers". The very nature of that war, without real front lines and combat taking place in the midst of civilian enclaves and our media showing the horror of war through photos and even live television made the bravery and service of those that served tainted unfairly with the barbarity that accompanies any military engagement. Only now, several decades later, is the Vietnam Vet given any positive recognition for his service. And it is this belated recognition that the person once proud to say how he evaded service now wants to share.

caryc

Hawkeye

About a year or so after returning from Viet Nam, I tried to join the VFW and they wouldn't take me. They said Viet Nam was not a foreign war.

I always let them know it too when I go into a grocery store and they come up to me wearing those funny little hats and ask for a donation. :mad:

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
I'm a retired GI. A couple of years ago when they passed some dumb law where every Vet with a disability is allowed to come on base and utilize the Commissary, Post Exchange, and MWR services, the number of folk wearing Special Forces Crap has increased a thousand fold. Whats worse is they even try to approach you to talk Bovine Scat.

I checked with vendors on 4 different bases and they said sales of SEAL, Special Forces, Pararescue, and Ranger chit went through the roof !

Retired guys like me don't even join American Legion or VFW because of all the one term wonder Puss nutted can't cut it kkkkuuunnt Posers !

Even had one brave soul at Audie Murphy VA hospital in a waiting room tell me he was a Recon Marine, SEAL, Delta, Ranger, and Airborne. I asked how long he was in and he told me three years. I called him an F-N liar and he made a mistake of lunging his slow ass toward me. I called my wife and told her I'm going back on base because I don't deserve better but I earned it !

The dang medal/decorations are a whole nother ball of chit, everyone seems to have a Bronze Star or higher. I say you better BEWARE of the soldier with the most "Humanitarian" medals. Thats what you get when its a non-sanctioned for war area.

Peace my Brothers !

Last edited:
When it comes to medals, they lost their meaning a long time ago. When I served in Vietnam the award of a Bronze Star for service was assumed for every soldier finishing a full tour without a disciplinary issue. I was the Adjutant of a Battalion and I was required to submit a request for the Bronze Star for everyone approaching the end of their tour. I had to justify, in writing, why a particular soldier should NOT get this medal. So it was essentially meaningless.

nd sometimes when real valor should have been recognized, beuracratic BS ruled the day instead. We had a young Lieutenant pilot who, after his Huey was shot down, organized a defense from under the downed helicopter, then carried out his wounded co-pilot and then his wounded crew chief, suffering several AK wounds in the process but somehow he kept moving and survived. I wrote up the paperwork for a Medal of Honor for this brave soldier, only to be told by Division that they had already used up their quota of such nominations for that calendar quarter. The CG of the Division told my Battalion Commander that the medal was clearly justified, but due to the quota system it would be downgraded to a Silver Star. Now a Silver Star is nothing to be sneered at but it does not carry the prestiege of the Medal of Honor. The whole system was a sham.

LuckenbachTexas

Buckeye
Correct, and I submitted video for an award recommendation and the Commander said "thats his job".

I don't "sneer" at any true awards because I ain't the judge but these puss-nutt posers claiming to have what they don't, that pisses me off.

BearBiologist

Hunter
My Grandfather fought in China before WWII. He was in the Navy. My father believed the movie The Sand Pebbles told the story of his father's service.

He saw combat, did what he was told to do, and he served. He was not a WWII Veteran did not get any parades, no accolades.

I believe he had PTSD, and self medicated himself to an early grave.

He didn't get the respect he deserved and others demand respect they don't deserve. Sad.

My Grandparents served here to support the war effort then were bumped out of their jobs by returning veterans.

My Grandmother went from manufacturing precision instruments for bombers, to waiting tables. She is still with us and is sharp as a tack.
My dad served in Burma with the 14th Air Force supporting the Flying Tigers after they rejoined the US Armed Forces. My grandfather returned from Canada to enlist in WWI but they refused to take him because he was in a "vital industry" (grain farmer). Tried for WWII but was too old.

As I commented earlier, I was kept in the US due to illness and discharged early. I found out, while working in the Orderly Room as a clerk, that I was slated to go to the First Cavalry when my flow through the system was halted. Part of me is grateful for what happened and part feels I let my buddies down!

Last edited:
I grew up with my best friend from the time we were just kids. We fished, hunted, went to school together and basically learned to be young men together. When we graduated we were both classified 1A and eligible for the draft so we enlisted in the Navy together. The buddy system they called it. Went through recruit training together and found ourselves getting assigned to separate duty stations. After our A school training, I was off to sea duty in the Gulf of Tonkin and my buddy got shore duty here in the states. I proudly did my duty aboard the USS Constellation but was heartbroken to find out my best friend had not. A few months after boot camp he had had enough and went AWOL. Arrested and sent to the brig in Philadelphia where he awaited and finally received his discharge from the Navy. Although we remained friends and after my four year enlistment we continued to hunt and fish and hang out but we both knew things were just different between us now. We never spoke much about it and just kind of let it fade away with time. We are both near 70 now and when I saw a picture of my old friend on Facebook wearing a Vietnam Veteran hat with ribbons, I was heartbroken all over again. I felt as if he had stuck a knife directly into me. I don't believe he could have picked a better way to shatter for good our relationship. We are no longer friends. I will always have fond memories of the friend I had as a boy but not of the man he became.
Sorry to hear that your friend turned into a fraud but sadly there are a lot of them out there. I know a guy who was in the USAF for a whole 3 weeks and claims to be a disabled veteran complete with all the bells and whistles on his clothing and hat. I have publicly told him that he is a fraud, but he always keeps wearing the stuff claiming that he was injured in Vietnam when he was thrown out of basic training in 1975. He has ridden this to full disability and has worked for maybe 6 months total in his life. Some believe him and his bullshit even to the point of picking up his check in a restaurant. I told the person buying his meal afterward that the guy is a fake and they were appalled at his behavior.

For genuine veterans I have nothing but respect and don't care if your entire time in service was handing out toothpaste or typing forms. You served honorably and that is what counts. Yesterday I was in the local diner and a young Marine with there with his family for breakfast. I went to my truck and got him a USMC coin to thank him for his service. His mom offered to pay me for the coin, and I told her that he earned it.

Latest posts