Steel Ejector Rod Housing ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dave T

Single-Sixer
I recently purchased an old model (3-screw) Blackhawk chambered for the 45 Colt cartridge. It came with the original aluminum ERH and I have on hand an old steel ERH. When I tried to install the steel version on the Blackhawk the screw would not fit the hole. My question is: is there a different diameter for the screw on the AL ERH versus that found with the earlier steel ERH?

And if the screws are different, is there a source for the older screw? I tried to find such a thing on Brownell's web site but it is the most un-wieldy web site I've ever encountered.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Dave

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Dave, I believe you will find the difference is on the barrel. At one time it was screw hole and later it became
a welded on stud with threads. So I guess the answer is yes the screws are different. I can not remember if new model ERH screws fit, but I'll state "they do" and I will or will not be corrected ASAP, thus giving you the answer.

SATCOM

Dave T

Single-Sixer
Well, I went to Midway's web site and looked up ERHs for Ruger Blackhawks. The one they have listed (blue steel) is for the New Model with the threaded hole in the barrel. My early 1970s Blackhawk has the stud on the barrel with a threaded hole in the stud.

I have a blue steel ERH I got in a trade years ago. It fits fine on the frame, barrel and stud. The problem I have is the screw that came with the gun and is holding the aluminum ERH on now does not fit in the hole in the steel ERH. Some previous owner had it on a gun because the tip of the ERH shows come holster wear to the bluing. I just need to find a screw that will fit the steel ERH and the threaded stud in my barrel.

Any further help will still be appreciated.

Dave

Hondo44

Hawkeye
New model or old model gun doesn't matter.

Aluminum and steel ERHs for studded barrels have a top hole of 1/4" (.250") and use a 1/4" cap screw with 6x40 thread. These came first on large cal. centerfire guns.

Aluminum and steel ERHs for barrels with just a threaded hole, have a top hole of .217" and use a .217" cap screw with 8x36 thread. This is the current set-up.

1. You have to do what Robert above did.
2. Or get a large hole steel housing.
3. Or simplest solution, get a Bearcat ejector hsg screw; it has the .217" cap to fit your steel housing and the 6x40 thread to fit your barrel stud. Call Ruger CS (336-949-5200) and they'll send you one free! Don't tell them what you're doing, they won't understand, just say you need a replacement for your Bearcat. If they ask for a serial # tell them it's above serial #93-00000 and you'll get the newer one with the red nyloc insert so it doesn't shoot loose.

Or $4.99 + shipping at Brownells:
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/ejector-parts/ejector-screws/ejector-housing-screw-prod11852.aspx

Dave T

Single-Sixer
Thanks Jim. I just ordered 3 of them from Brownells. (smile)

Dave