Gun belt internal steel belt vs regular leather Strength question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Looking at getting a $30.00 belt company belt.. not sure if internal steel belt is needed or regular 15 Oz leather belt good enough to outer waist carry a all steel revolver such as Security Six and not sag on the belt due to the significant weight. $35.00 for regular leather, $48.00 for internal steel leather belt. Also are internal steel belts too stiff to bent and uncomfortable to wear for long periods intially till they break in?

FLgun

Single-Sixer
Thank you!! Have considered and looked at material belts , I definitely understand the benefits of not being affected by environment but decided I enjoy leather more currently.

deac45

Single-Sixer
I've never used a steel lined belt...seems a bit of overkill. Heavy leather belts have served me well. I've carried SPs, GPs, Redhawks and Blackhawks. Never felt any sag from the weight of the gun.

contender

Ruger Guru
If a strong leather belt is your desire,, I'd contact Mike "Doc" Barranti of Barranti Leather. Top quality,, and worth the money. Discuss your concerns with Doc, and he'll easily answer any of your questions.

anachronism

Single-Sixer
Looking at getting a $30.00 belt company belt.. not sure if internal steel belt is needed or regular 15 Oz leather belt good enough to outer waist carry a all steel revolver such as Security Six and not sag on the belt due to the significant weight. $35.00 for regular leather, $48.00 for internal steel leather belt. Also are internal steel belts too stiff to bent and uncomfortable to wear for long periods intially till they break in?
A steel belt sounds really uncomfortable, I'm trying to understand how one could break in. For a conventional belt I can say that the leather quality will be critical, and $30.00 sounds really cheap. My suggestion would be to buy a top quality belt from a reputable company. Contender made an excellent suggestion with Doc Barranti, but others could be suitable as well. FWIW, my last gun belt was just under a hundred dollars American.:)

AzShooter1

Single-Sixer
I still have a steel lined belt from about 15 years ago and it's holding up quite well. It's not uncomfortable at all and I wear it almost every day. It's really nice when I carry my 686 6 inch in the holster.

15 ounce leather belts will probably hold up just as well as a steel lined.

I get my belts from Ernie Hill Leather. They are a bit more expensive but I've been doing buisness with him for 40 years.

Latest posts