Stainless ROA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Had the Howell for a 51 navy. The firing pin heads would "mushroom" making it hard to remove from the feral. Also messed up the hammer face. Pin would hit in the cap notch on the face pounding a big dent. Hammer and pins too soft? Spring too hard? Kirst makes them in stainless.

Had the Howell for a 51 navy. The firing pin heads would "mushroom" making it hard to remove from the feral. Also messed up the hammer face. Pin would hit in the cap notch on the face pounding a big dent. Hammer and pins too soft? Spring too hard? Kirst makes them in stainless.
Sorry to hear your problems that I have not had. My Howells and ROA show no signs of wear after 1000+ rounds fired. I do run lighter hammer main springs, #18 The hammer on the ROA is probably a weeeeee bit better steel than on your Italian made 51.
The firing pins are replaceable.

chet15

Hawkeye
Chet, a Buddy of mine dose have a stainless old model #5629 that dose have the Liberty barrel.
any input would be appreciated.

There are a few of those out there, estimated at around 5,000. Nice example!!
I've heard of one of those also having the backwards cylinder inscription.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
:DOK! It is just like #646. No "Liberty" on barrel. Over the years I passed on several ROAs because money was tight. Still is but this one was yelling "buy me". $499 plus tax. I read someplace that perhaps 500 reverse cylinders got shipped? What am I dealing with here?
Yeah, 500 is probably a good estimate, perhaps a few hundred more.
Chet15

Latest posts