Low Back (150- s/n), Stainless, Police Service Six and Speed Six

Help Support Ruger Forum:

The info at hand shows model 737 for both the GS32 and GS34. I never followed the numeric codes since they don't indicate barrel length. Catalog number is much easier for me to wrap my head around and it is unfortunate that Ruger stopped using them.
I 100% agree that catalog numbers are easier to understand as once you understand the Ruger system, you can figure out what the gun is by the catalog number, but I also try to track the model numbers, especially know since that is all Ruger seems to want to use. Lipsey's still lists catalog numbers for some of the models still in production which is helpful but the newer models seem not to have them at all.

THANKS!

Terry T

Buckeye
I have yet to find a low back fixed sight stainless 6 series.

1681156219760.jpeg

MinorLV

Ruger Six Series and DA Collector
Agree as well, good stuff Terry. I have a low back 2 3/4 150 SN and a 2 3/4 151SN. Still on the hunt for the 6" stainless.

MinorLV

Ruger Six Series and DA Collector
Two fantastic pieces of Ruger history and I envy you both. Hopefully there are at least 3 and I get some of my wife's Irish luck!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Hopefully there are at least 3 and I get some of my wife's Irish luck!
You never know. My statement above should be reworded to say these two are the only ones known.

Here they are mentioned in the RENE Ref:
1681323411212.png

But whether there were a few others made is anybody's guess. There was clearly some unusual circumstance that caused these two to be made that high up into the 151 prefix since the supply of lowback frames was generally exhausted in the 151-0xxxx range (and there were plenty of highbacks in that range as well). Someone probably found a couple lowback stainless frames that had been overlooked and just slipped them into the production line. Might have just happened that they were making a batch of GA-36 revolvers when those two frames came along in the queue. A guy screwing barrels into frames all day might not have even noticed the difference. Someone fitting the cylinders and actions would have had a better chance of seeing the difference, and certainly whoever had to put grips on the completed guns would have figured it out when the highback grips wouldn't fit.