SRH extended firing pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Does the SRH have ignition problems with the OEM spring or does the extended firing pin solve issues created by reduced power mainsprings?

Oh, would the extended FP cause primer ruptures with hot loads with a lower power or the OEM firing pin??

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I've tried using reduced springs in different guns over the years. And I've had a single firearm that I never touched the spring,, yet experienced a fair number of mis-fires. It was a S&W .40 S&W model 646 revolver. (It was my USPSA competition gun.) I tried a few things before I was able to fix the problem. I added an extended firing pin. It helped,, but not a 100% reliable cure. I made sure I had the mainspring tension screw tight. I switched to different primers. All this helped,,, but I still experienced mis-fires. I finally added more tension to the mainspring by adding a spent primer cup,, minus the anvil, under the head of the tension screw. Now it's 100%.

If the goal is a smoother, softer feeling action,, I discovered long ago that the BEST method was a simple action job. By having a pro smooth up the internal contacting moving parts,, PROPERLY,, every gun felt a lot lighter & smoother. Spring power is required to give reliable ignition. Ruger is known for it's strong springs,, and many have replaced them with lighter springs, and have been quite happy. But the best method to get a good action is to have an action job done. I have learned to do a fair amount of it myself,, and while my work may not be as good as a professional,, it has provided me with smoother, lighter feeling actions. All of the ones I've personally done have been in SA handguns. If I were to want any of my DA handguns smoother,, I'd consult someone who is very good at working on them.

A side note;
Lots of people do what is called a "poor man's trigger job" on a Ruger NM SA handgun by unhooking one leg of the trigger return spring. Long ago,, at a gun show,, I bought a Ruger .357 Maximum, 10" for $275.00 because the owner had taken it on a trade for work, and the action wasn't working properly. Upon removing the grips,, and finding the trigger return spring unhooked on one leg,, and BINDING the mainspring,, I just smiled. Once I got home, and replaced the now bent spring,, with a new one, and installed it as intended,, the gun is just fine.
And it's the exact same gun I just used to kill that buck with that I posted about in the hunting section here. The post about him committing suicide. A $275 Maxi because of an improper attempt at an action adjustment. I still smile about that one.

gnappi

Single-Sixer
>>SNIP<<

A side note;
Lots of people do what is called a "poor man's trigger job" on a Ruger NM SA handgun by unhooking one leg of the trigger return spring. Long ago,, at a gun show,, I bought a Ruger .357 Maximum, 10" for $275.00 because the owner had taken it on a trade for work, and the action wasn't working properly. Upon removing the grips,, and finding the trigger return spring unhooked on one leg,, and BINDING the mainspring,, I just smiled. Once I got home, and replaced the now bent spring,, with a new one, and installed it as intended,, the gun is just fine.
And it's the exact same gun I just used to kill that buck with that I posted about in the hunting section here. The post about him committing suicide. A $275 Maxi because of an improper attempt at an action adjustment. I still smile about that one.
Funny, I discovered this twice. The PO's of my SBH in .480 and BH .357 did the same thing, but the spring in both cases were not destroyed.

Thel

Blackhawk
The extended firing pins, I believe, came about because of the Redhawk having some problems. Bowen, in his book, mentions the problem. The newer easily removable firing pins just happen to fit a number of other Ruger models aside from the Redhawk. From what I gather, ideal firing pin protrusion should be 0.055" and minimum headspace 0.060".

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Sort of on this train of thought, I want to bob the hammer on my SRH but the potential of an ignition issue strikes me as possible?

wilecoyote

Bearcat
bobbing a donor hammer on my S&W 19 has done nothing good about the ignition. maybe am me.
I reverted back to oem spur, anyway_

gnappi

Single-Sixer
Wile, I've bobbed many (over a dozen) S&W's and all worked fine afterward but all had a factory mainspring, maybe your spring was changed for a lighter one?

wilecoyote

Bearcat
Wile, I've bobbed many (over a dozen) S&W's and all worked fine afterward but all had a factory mainspring, maybe your spring was changed for a lighter one?
...factory mainspring: tension screw with and without spent primer cup under her, screw fully closed, anyway_
rebound springs in all the flavors: thinned, not thinned but some coil cut, etc._ never tried Wolff's_
polished all the polishable, by the Kuhnhausen Gospel...
100% ignition only with unmolested hammer and oem rebound spring, here_ as said, maybe am me...
CCI spp only, because I don't use Federal since I had some misfire on bolt-action rifle with them_
my gunsmith ego suffered a bit :), but even better than hearing click instead than boom...

gnappi

Single-Sixer
...factory mainspring: tension screw with and without spent primer cup under her, screw fully closed, anyway_
rebound springs in all the flavors: thinned, not thinned but some coil cut, etc._ never tried Wolff's_
polished all the polishable, by the Kuhnhausen Gospel...
100% ignition only with unmolested hammer and oem rebound spring, here_ as said, maybe am me...
CCI spp only, because I don't use Federal since I had some misfire on bolt-action rifle with them_
my gunsmith ego suffered a bit :), but even better than hearing click instead than boom.

Kuhnhausen Gospel...

wilecoyote

Bearcat
...if nothing else, from Him I at least learned the things not to do, and that's no small thing, with my nickname :)
I'm only sorry that he didn't dedicate a manual to SRH...

Last edited: