Any extended grips for (old) Vaquero?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Recently, I bought a Vaquero in .45Colt. Made in 1997, unused, like it just left the factory. Really like it, except for one thing - the grip. It's just way too short. I have the Old Army and while I knew the grips were not interchangeable, I expected them to be somewhat similar in size. They're not, the Old Army has about 10mm extra on the bottom, just enough to comfortably rest my pinky. The Vaquero feels somewhat like a kid's gun, compared to that. Is that normal, or was I "lucky" and got some stupid rare limited edition smaller grip model?
Also, if it's normal, is there any readily available grip that would extend the length? Looks like the Hogue overmolded grip goes below the original butt of the grip frame. While I like Hogue rubber grips, I'm not sure I want one on a "cowboy" style gun though. I could make an extended wooden grip myself, but with all the stuff I need to forge and carve for my customers, I'd actually prefer buying it.

Doc4429

Single-Sixer
I have a set of extended grips from Texas Grips on a Ruger Flattop 44 Magnum. The grips make shooting the revolver much more pleasant and look great as well. I highly recommend them.

Bill

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I don't think your Old Army has original grips or grip frame. Both it and your Original Vaquero came with XR3-RED size grip frames (never shorter or with any special grips) and so the grips are identical and are interchangeable. Since your OA grips are 10mm longer, that describes a Super Blackhawk grip frame and grips, if the grips don't overhang the grip frame at the butt. Does the OA have a square back trigger guard or is it stainless with a round guard?

Last edited:

Knecht

Single-Sixer
My Old Army has brass grip frame, it's from the 70's. I don't think anyone did anything special to it, other than likely practiced some fancy cowboy spinning and dropping it many times, as I assumed from the damaged grips when I bought it. I replaced them years ago, I think I actually asked at this forum what are they compatible with. Here's a picture of it, I'll take some comparison shots with the Vaquero.

Attachments

• DSC09852.JPG
    DSC09852.JPG
    421.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

hittman

Staff member

I'm not your answer guy on swapping grip frames but maybe this link will give you more info on which frames came from what guns.

You could bolt on a new model super Blackhawk gripframe in either blued or stainless of if you like the SBH length but not the square back trigger guard you could go with a stainless Hunter gripframe. The other option is to go to Ronnie Wells site and look at the longer grip frame options he offers.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
Sounds good. I don't really care about the trigger guard shape, just want a nice full grip. My Vaquero is stainless, so it's good to know the grip frame comes in stainless too. Will see if I can find one in my country, or import it.

If you want to "replicate" the feel and look of your Old Army and its "brass frame" the new model Super Black in stainless steel is the way to go , Part #KMR00300 from the factory or Brownells its part number 8G101J77 runs just a little over $118 US may try and find one off the internet?? used?? I have not had any for some time now since we retired, but did have a old Army stainless frame but thats the same size as 'Hondo' noted above, shorter than yours,,,,,sold it a couple of shows back...good luck

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Well for a stainless SBH grip frame you can have a square back guard or a round guard. The square guard will be easiest to find. The important thing is to find one that's already been on a gun (and cheaper too). You don't want a new one, they come oversized and need lots of fitting labor to match the Vaquero main frame and then polishing!

The new model SBH grip frame will bolt right on your gun using your screws and mainspring parts, and likely need little or no fitting. Just polish or buff it to match the high gloss finish of your vaquero. The SBH grip frames have a brushed satin finish.

Happy shopping, you could post a want ad on this forum's classifieds. They run about $110 to $150 and may or may not come with grips.

Knecht

Single-Sixer
I'll see what I can find. I doubt I'll find a spare grip frame in my country, but perhaps I'll get lucky. Shipping it could be a little tricky, as while it's not considered a "main part" by our law and should be legal to ship, the shape is so easily recognized on xray as something gun-related that I'm quite sure it would lead to a quarrel with the customs office.

G2

Hunter
This is a 50th Anniversary 44 flattop that came with the smallish/thinner XR3 grip frame, very punishing and hard to hang on to w/ 44 magnum loads.
I like Brass, so it got changed out to a RW Brass Hunter, the same size as a Super Blackhawk with the rounded trigger guard, went ahead and used Hunter Grip Panels to keep it Rugerish. Changed the Hammer out to Super too.
52084302922_b59e55c4db_k.jpg

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Herrett's used to make grips ("stocks") for both XR3 and the XR3-red frame. I have bought several sets of the XR#-red over the years from bay. You may have to look for a while. I have a set of the Texas Grips extended for the XR3-red. Nice grips. You might check their listing. Also they will do a custom grip. Not real cheap but a lot cheaper than a grip frame, I expect. Maybe $35 to $50 over the list price. I personally would not change grip frames on that gun. Keep it original and buy some grips that you can shoot.