SR9 How-To (Multiple Inside) - Video Links Removed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jhearne

Buckeye
Finally got to see the vids with sound Grendel. I've actually got my tripod setup today and I'm going to be posting the videos for my how-to's tomorrow morning before 8am (I hope...work permitting ;)).

Going to be posting:

Intro video, outlines the how-to and features of the SR9
Field Strip (new one)
Mag DC Removal
Magazine Disassembly

I intend on getting the Frame Strip done this weekend and then later figuring out the best way to do the FULL detail strip of the frame internals. I'm also going to be doing the Mag Release and Slide Internals (apart from the Striker parts...LCI, Extractor etc...). Gotta reshoot and edit some stuff here now so until tomorrow am :)

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Ok, last update burning the midnight oil. I'm uploading a little video from me to you guys letting you all know what's up with my video progress and what I intend on getting done soon. The video should be up around 1am cst.

Here's my channel

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Videos posted, all of what I've done except the Mag DC Removal Video. I forgot to export it last night and get it transferred to my work computer for upload. It's edited and ready, just have to get it going at about 4pm today. It's about 6 mins or so so it'll take about an hour on my poor upload speed (.25mb/s :() at home.

Hit the original post for links to the Videos I've posted or click my Channel link in my signature. Part 4 is the Mag DC Removal Video.

recoilguy

Bearcat
jhearne.....i just watched your videos tonite.......very nicely done sir. Between yours and Grendels I am sure I can put in the new trigger. I am pretty excited and if it were earlier Id get right to it now.

What a great forum and great help from people who really know their stuff. Thanks to both of you guys.

RCG

jhearne

Buckeye
I've got some HD (720p) videos recorded and I just finished double checking them. I have HD Videos for:
Field Strip
Mag DC Removal
Mag Disassembly
Frame/internal Disassembly (4 Parts)
Mag Release Removal/Reinstallation
Slide Detail Strip (LCI, Extractor and Striker Blocker)

Going to try and upload them tonight but they may not go since YouTube is doing maintenance right now.

I also have some 300 FPS shots of the Slide Closing, but they're a tad too dark and underexposed, can tweak them at work with some software and I can upload them quickly. Hope to recharge the batteries and get out in some sunlight soon and get some Hi-Speed shots with the SR9.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Updated today to include links to my newer videos. If anyone has ideas for new videos please let me know, planning on a High Speed shoot sometime soon...will be a compilations of shots and scenarios...single shot, double taps, fast shooting, etc...600 Frames Per Second :).

Josh

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Great job with the videos, Josh. I will say that a big ol' roll of tape helps quite a bit with those tight roll pins in the slide.

I think I have an extra mag release button lying around. I'm going to see about grinding and reshaping the right side of the button. Since I'm a righty, I don't have much use for it, and it can tear up my middle finger when I shoot IDPA or during dryfire practice, since drawing from the holster so much and aggressively acquiring your grip can cause the button to dig into your middle finger. Not planning on grinding it down completely, but just a couple/few millimeters to get rid of the checkering and radius the edges.

-JT

recoilguy

Bearcat
I put an ultimate Ghost in one of my SR9's this weekend. The videos were the ticket and so helpful I cant even begin to say. It is great to know what to expect and to see it before you actually do it. I will surely be getting another Ghost for the other gun no doubt. It is so much smoother and there is no stick point......brilliant!

To keep the pins straight I got a piece of corigated cardboard and traced the frame on it with it striped down. then made small holes in the card board where the pins come out of the gun. When I took the pin out I put it in the same hole in the cardboard copy. Never had to worry I got confused or had them backwards or anything.

The video guys yyou made it so easy.....thanks!

RCG

jhearne

Buckeye
Glad it helped recoilguy, the cardboard isn't a bad idea at all. Especially if it makes the job at hand easier. I'm a big fan of anything to make it easier.

Josh

ApplianceJunk

Bearcat
Awesome, thanks!

I learned a lot about my new pistol.

I did not read every post in all nine pages so this may have already been asked, but in the first post you said....

It's a very simple process, but a necessary one. Especially for those of us with old style magazines, when the noses of FMJ rounds catch the mag latch while loading mags, the shaving can pile up in the magazine. I've heard a few people here who cleaned them out and were amazed at what was in them.

I'm guessing I have the new clips, but how do you tell? What is the difference between the old and new clips?

jhearne

Buckeye
ApplianceJunk":5cwhks0u said:
Awesome, thanks!

I learned a lot about my new pistol.

I did not read every post in all nine pages so this may have already been asked, but in the first post you said....

It's a very simple process, but a necessary one. Especially for those of us with old style magazines, when the noses of FMJ rounds catch the mag latch while loading mags, the shaving can pile up in the magazine. I've heard a few people here who cleaned them out and were amazed at what was in them.

I'm guessing I have the new clips, but how do you tell? What is the difference between the old and new clips?

If the gun was bought new in the past year and a half at the very least then you should have the newer mag style.

Here's a pic showing the old and new mags. The top one is the old style, the bottom is the current version. If you turn the front of the magazine where you can read SR9 9x19mm there should be the U or [] shaped mag release notch. The U shaped one also has a window on the side. Which I think is part of a design decision that wasn't fully made. Some mags don't have release cutouts on the fronts, but on the side, like this extra window. I believe the P Series pistols from Ruger are like this (releases from the side). Nothing important, just an observation of the older style mags.

Josh

100_1743-1.jpg

ApplianceJunk

Bearcat
If the gun was bought new in the past year and a half at the very least then you should have the newer mag style.

I bought is used, but the guy I bought it from bought it Dec. 2009 and only shot a few boxes of ammo through it.

Looks like I have the new style clips for it. Thanks for the info and photo.

alienbogey

Bearcat
Josh,

Outstanding work, thanks.

I recently had to re-remove my mag DC after a trip to Ruger, I went right back to your how-to, and it seems to me there's a small mistake in the narrative. From Step 2:

'Release the Mag DC and press in the Striker Blocker, again while holding the Striker Blocker, push the Striker as far as it can go, you should now see the tip of the Striker in the Breechface.' (underline added)

I believe the underlined words again while holding the Striker Blocker' should instead be 'again while holding the Mag DC'.

At least that's what I found, that I needed to hold both the Striker Blocker and the Mag DC in to push the striker all the way forward, and from the way the instruction is written it appears that may have been what you meant.

If I'm wrong let me know and I'll delete this post.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Josh,
Just wanted to send out a huge thanks to you for the tremendous amount of work you put into the posted How-To's and Videos!

Bought home my new SR9C about a week ago and performed the polishing work and installed the Ghost Rocket as per your instructions. Trigger went from long and very gritty to smooth with a very clean break around 7 lbs. Got this baby just about where I want it now but I would like to get the pull down around the 5# you show on your pull test video for this set up. If you have any ideas how to accomplish a lighter pull let me know.
I suspect Ruger has had a couple of different weight Striker springs over the evolution of the SR9 series. I've read a number of posts on the early SR9C guns that complained about light strike mis-fires, they were returned to the factory and after coming back with a new striker assembly the light strike issue disappeared, but I'm just guessing.
In any case I called Ruger today and ordered a few new springs to play with and see what the results of a little clipping will be. I'll let you all know what my results are when I'm done.

Also wanted to thank the gentleman known as fcamelbourne on youtube for his video on the Ghost install, nice work and a great companion to Josh's work.

Finally since this is my first post here I'd like to thank Ruger! I've been buying and shooting Ruger weapons for over 30 years, my first being a 3 screw SuperBlackhawk which I still have and shoot often. Their weapons have always offered the best bang for the buck and reliability that is second to none. Also the customer service I received whenever I called has been stellar, an example of what all companies should should offer.
100% USA owned, operated, and manufactured will always get my $ whenever possible.
Cheers,
Sal

jhearne

Buckeye
Welcome Sal to RF.com, glad I was able to help! fcamelbourne is a member here but under a different handle...Grendel if my memory serves me right.

As for getting yours down to the 5 lbs I showed, it's tricky. First, I set my trigger up for testing where it would repeat efficiently. Secondly, I set the gauge to pull from the furthest point of the trigger, the tip, not near the pivot point. It's like wrenching on a bolt. The longer tool you're using, the more leverage and less force is required. I could max out the gauge if I just pulled from a spot near the pivot. In earlier tests I did this not knowing fully what I was doing at first, but better realized how things worked after I got into the internals and saw how they came together. There's no real set method for testing, I just wanted repeatability and a reliable setup. I think I did ok, I'm just letting you know in case you didn't have it setup to pull quite like mine was. Just 1/8 of an inch up the trigger can add a pound or more to the figures.

My internals were polished a long time ago and have had a few hundred rounds to break them in and further polish the wear points. But as for lightening the trigger, polishing does little in that aspect. Polishing helps remove the gritty/stacky feeling you get when you first fire the gun, bone stock.

The evolution of the design, and spring in the striker assembly, can and probably contribute to the variances between my SR9 and anyone else's. The Striker Spring gives the SR9/c most of the characteristics for the pull weight of the Trigger.

Good luck with the clipping, some will tell you not to do it, I'm on the fence leaning towards not doing it. However, I understand the want to improve the feel of the trigger. Just be aware of the legal ramifications of using a modified weapon in a self defense situation.

Hope you enjoy the SR9c, you won't be alone if you do!

Josh

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Thanks for the response Josh.
I was aware of your setup and the reasons for it, what I didn't know was that you were placing your gage right at the very tip of the trigger. I believe I would get reduced readings if I were to remeasure at that point also. All pivoted triggers systems will show this variance due to the leverage issue, but seems where Ruger has placed the pivot point in this design makes it more exaggerated than I've run across with other weapons.

I'm also aware of the legal ramifications but I believe we both already crossed that line when we started polishing the internals and installing the Ghost reset bar. The intent of either of these mod's would be argued by the lawyers same way as a mod'd spring, it made an accidental discharge more likely to happen under stress.

I currently own about 15 handguns but this is only my second DAO striker fired gun. I also have a Kel-Tec P11 but the trigger on it is so bad with no way to improve it that I'm going to dump that weapon one day soon. That will be a first for me, I've never sold a weapon out of my collection in the 30+ years I've been at it, but I just can't live with this POS, I don't enjoy firing it and I won't keep no safe queens.

I'm REALLY thrilled with the SR9C! I put about 250 rounds through the SR9C the first night I picked it up, and another 250 tonight. Shot mainly my reloads but also a some cheap Federal Champions and some WWB from Wally World without a single hiccup, she just ate anything I stuffed in her and refused to stop. I'm totally amazed at the accuracy of this compact little blaster, at 20 yards she's holding about as tight a group as these old eyes are capable of. Soon as I can get the trigger just a tad lighter I'll call the mod's on this baby complete and then just see if I can wear it out shooting it. Probably never be able to do that though, been trying to wear out my other Rugers for years and years without success.

Thanks Again for all your hard work!
Sal

mbresortguy

Bearcat
Talk about coming late to the party... :lol:

Josh.. this is an excellent writeup on a fairly complicated subject!! I spent many years writing and using technical manuals, and would have given my left-arm for someone with your obvious talent!! You are, indeed, a gifted individual!

Used your "wordware" to remove the MDC from my SR9c and, I might add, from my newly aquired SR40! My SR9c is my daily carry (replaced my beloved KP90..) so I don't think I'll experiment all that much with it. My SR40, however, will be a different story! Since both platforms appear to be almost identical in construct, I'll play with the 40 and use the knowledge gained from there to transfer to the 9c.

Thanks again for all of your hard work and insights.. they have been greatly appreciated on this end!!

Cheers!

jhearne

Buckeye
Hi Kyle,

Thank you for the kind words! Welcome to RF.com and congratulations on the SR40!

You said your going to tinker, if there are any problems with my instructions not being compatible with the SR40. Please let me know so I can make the proper changes.

Enjoy your Rugers!

Josh

mbresortguy

Bearcat
If I come across any anomalies between the SR9c and the SR40, I'll forward the info to you, with pictures if at all possible. I may come screaming for help, especially once I get it stripped down to the FCA!

Upon a cursory inspection, the internals look virtually identical, but, then again, things are not always as the appear to be!!

Thanks again for your efforts!!

Cheers!

jhearne

Buckeye
Sounds good, I'm really not expecting any differences between the internals of the newer SR9 and 40 models.

Josh