sr9 hard slide problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

newshooter

Bearcat
:D I saw where an older gentlemen (like myself) was having problems with the SR9 slide. Guess what - I was dryfiring my new SR9 and my hands were hurting and my sister said "why don't you use a rubber jar opener to assist with the slide rack." I did and boy DID IT EVER FEEL BETTER. I plan on taking one to the range.

Let me know if anybody else with sore hands tries this and how it works.

Take care and good shooting.

keith81

Bearcat
Those gloves with the rubber grips might work well too. And you can pick them up just about anywhere like gas stations or a hardware store.

jdavis

Single-Sixer
I can relate to your problem. The serrations on the slide are meat grinders.
I have used a golf glove with great success whenever I am racking the slide a lot of times. It feels natural and offers good protection.

Scott

Single-Sixer
Don't know how many rounds your sr9 has through it, but mine is quite a bit easier after several hundred rounds. That, and I've spent a lot of time practicing different techniques. Keep shootin and it'll get easier.

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
Truth is, we shouldn't have to wear special gloves, use special techniques, yada, yada, yada to rack the slide of any gun. I have other Rugers, Taurus, Berettas, and my friend has Glocks. They are all easily rackable.

At 70 I'm giving up on the SR9c. It's been a great, reliable, accurate gun but I haven't the hand strength to rack the gun in a self-defense situation. I'm going to sell it at the next gun show here, in about a week, and replace it with a Glock 19.

I got half way to making the gun great for me by modifying the slide lock to a lock/release. So as long as the slide is locked back I can change the mag and hit the release. If it's not locked back is when my trouble with the really stiff slide makes life tough. That I couldn't fix.

Verndog

Blackhawk
GeorgeP said:
Truth is, we shouldn't have to wear special gloves, use special techniques, yada, yada, yada to rack the slide of any gun. I have other Rugers, Taurus, Berettas, and my friend has Glocks. They are all easily rackable.

I agree, if it's not fairly easily done without any aid then the gun is not right for you. Couple of questions, how many rounds have you shot, and have you tried to rack anyone elses SR9 or 9c to compare?

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
Verndog said:
GeorgeP said:

I agree, if it's not fairly easily done without any aid then the gun is not right for you. Couple of questions, how many rounds have you shot, and have you tried to rack anyone elses SR9 or 9c to compare?

Yes, I've tried a number of SR9s and SR9cs at gun stores. Mine had about 700 rounds shot through it. Sadly, I no longer have the gun. My favorite local dealer bought it and with an extra $100 I bought my friend's nearly new Glock 19. He bought a Glock 19 Gen4 from that dealer.

Verndog

Blackhawk
jdavis said:
I can relate to your problem. The serrations on the slide are meat grinders.

Some have complained about the serrations being sharp. Mine weren't bad but I still broke the edges some. Get some fine about 180-240 grit emery paper, cut a small square and sit down to a movie and clean the edges till they dont bother you anymore, then follow up with a small square of scotch brite pad. You'll thank yourself later, not real hard to do either.

slfree

Bearcat
GeorgeP said:

At 70 I'm giving up on the SR9c. It's been a great, reliable, accurate gun but I haven't the hand strength to rack the gun in a self-defense situation. I'm going to sell it at the next gun show here, in about a week, and replace it with a Glock 19.

I got half way to making the gun great for me by modifying the slide lock to a lock/release. So as long as the slide is locked back I can change the mag and hit the release. If it's not locked back is when my trouble with the really stiff slide makes life tough. That I couldn't fix.

The gun should be in battery, read ready, before any self defense situation, unless perhaps your cleaning it at the time

jeffegg2

Bearcat
I was worried about the slide, but read some reviewers that said it will loosen up with time. Some also say to leave it racked open during storage to loosen up the spring. My wife has not complained about it when she is shooting, so it must not be that bad.....

I think I just got used to it. :shock:

wlhump

Bearcat
My KP89 is a little tough for my wife and my daughter's new SR9c is just a little tough to rack. This may be all mental, but I have tried it with my daughter and my wife and they both agree...

Grab the slide tight with your "off" (left hand for right hand shooters) and with your right hand on the grip in a standard hold (finger OFF the trigger!) push with the right hand. Basically your hand gripping the slide concentrates on holding the slide and you can use your whole arm of the strong hand on the larger area of the frame/mag well of the gun to push against the recoil spring and cocking mech.

For most of us it doesn't make a lot of sense, but the two women in my life swear its easier.
Just an option.

Nicodemus

Bearcat
newshooter said:
:D I saw where an older gentlemen (like myself) was having problems with the SR9 slide. Guess what - I was dryfiring my new SR9 and my hands were hurting and my sister said "why don't you use a rubber jar opener to assist with the slide rack." I did and boy DID IT EVER FEEL BETTER. I plan on taking one to the range.

Let me know if anybody else with sore hands tries this and how it works.

Take care and good shooting.

There's more than one way to rack the slide! :wink:

Rather than holding the gun pointing out away from you and trying to rack the slide, hold the gun pointing across your chest pushing left and right at the same time. I'm old and arthitic also and this works easily well for me.

RMFC

Bearcat
The easiest way I've found to rack the slide, which was taught to me by a friend who happens to be DEA, was NOT with the thumb and index finger of your offhand, like some people to. I have been told the most reliable way is to place the lower palm of your offhand on the inside serrations and wrap your hand around the top of the slide, gripping the outside serrations with your 4 fingers. This doesn't seem to take much hand strength, comparatively, as other methods of racking the slide.

newshooter

Bearcat
Thanks so much RMFC for all your inputs on my SR9 questions including the hard slide and space bwtn frame and slide problems. Appreciate you taking the time to reply.

As for the hard slide - sometime I can do it without any assistance but mostly I use a bottle opener made of rubber or a golf glove to rack the slide so I guess I have this problem licked (except for the embarassment of having to use something as an aid to rack) but that is what you get for being old and decrepid.

Thanks again to all the guys (girls) that responded to my questions.

Dave :p

RMFC

Bearcat
You're welcome newshooter. I don't know much but I share what i know and soak up lots of info.

exavid

Hunter
My SR is a lot easier to rack now that it's had about 1500 rounds through it. Or it might just be that I've gotten used to it. Normally I prefer to rack it with a hand wrapped around the top of the slide so I can push with my shooting hand while pushing towards me with the hand on the slide. I shoot with my left hand and have a bit of arthritis in my right thumb so this method is a lot less painful for me. Of course a dose of Advil before I go shooting helps a lot too.