SR40 w/ Galloway recoil assembly range report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer1

Single-Sixer
I just got back from the range after putting 200 rounds of 180gr Rem FMJ downrange with my new SR40. I had just received and installed a Galloway stainless steel recoil rod and 20 pound spring assembly. The pistol performed flawlessly. The recoil was similar to that of my SR9c. I felt like the extra weight of the recoil assembly helped me keep my groupings tight at 10 yards.

I would like to thank Eric Galloway at Galloway Precision for the great work on the new recoil assembly. I am liking the feel of the extra weight of the solid stainless steel recoil rod.

In contrast to the report of other's, I found the trigger to be quite smooth, similar to my SR9c.

I am a happy camper, with a dry pup tent. Which is quite nice up here in the soggy Pacific Northwest.

boomer 8)

(This report is included in subsequent "Ruger Family Range Report" thread.)

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Outstanding Boomer,
Great to hear and was pleasure doing business with you. Thanks for the kind words and look forward to filling your SR performance needs in the future.
Merry Christmas to all,

Eric G.

WolfePack01

Bearcat
Hey Boomer! I was just wondering...why did you get the 20lb recoil spring/rod assembly instead of the 22lb which is the stock retention weight for the SR40? I'm about to get a recoil rod/spring assembly from Galloway Precision for my SR40 and want as much info as possible before purchasing. Thanks!

Paul C

Bearcat
Is it possible for the SS rod to chew up the opening on the slide? I seen something about that mentioned in the guide rod thread a couple posts down from this one.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
When he ordered the 40s were being shipped with 20 lb springs. In the past couple months they have started shipping with a 22. I changed my site to reflect it. Either works fine. Very little difference in feel.
Eric

WolfePack01 said:
Hey Boomer! I was just wondering...why did you get the 20lb recoil spring/rod assembly instead of the 22lb which is the stock retention weight for the SR40? I'm about to get a recoil rod/spring assembly from Galloway Precision for my SR40 and want as much info as possible before purchasing. Thanks!

Tmyoungjr

Bearcat
I just placed my order for the SS Guiderod+spring (at 20lbs) for my SR40 along with a polished striker indicator :) Excited and can't wait for their arrival :)

Thanks Eric! Now get that competition trigger kit out :) I just started shooting some local IPSC!

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Paul C said:
Is it possible for the SS rod to chew up the opening on the slide? I seen something about that mentioned in the guide rod thread a couple posts down from this one.
No. They will just cycle and cycle, similar hardness same materials. Pretty much zero wear. What thread is it you are talking about? The LC9 thread?

Paul C

Bearcat
From the LC9 Excessive Guide Rod Wear thread :

Mike J said:
I don't know about the LC9 but I have seen some pic.'s of guns over on the Kel Tec forum that people had changed out the stock plastic guide rod for a metal one. The hole in the front of the slide the guide rod goes through got chewed up. You might possibly mess up your slide instead of just chewing up a plastic guide rod that is easily replaced. I do not know if Ruger would take care of the damage for free if that happened. If the same thing happens to the replacement guide rod they are sending you I believe I would ask for a shipping label & send it in.

WolfePack01

Bearcat
Egalloway said:
When he ordered the 40s were being shipped with 20 lb springs. In the past couple months they have started shipping with a 22. I changed my site to reflect it. Either works fine. Very little difference in feel.
Eric

Thanks for the info Eric! What does the tip of the guide rod look like? Is it solid or hollow? Does it look like SS sticking out the hole in the slide or does it look the same as the plastic when the slide is full forward? Do you have other pics that I could see other than what is on your site?

Dusterman

Single-Sixer
Great info. I just picked up my SR40 and I was wondering which spring to use. I put a SS guide rod in my SR9 and love it I instantly got tighter groups and enjoy shooting it much more. I have a 330 SR9 and I am thinking about ordering the trigger kit for it when I order the SS guide rod for the SR40. Thanks Galloway for some great parts.

A

Anonymous

How far out is the Galloway SR9c Guide rod assembly?

I just installed my polished striker indicator from Galloway and love it.

Also, any word on the Galloway +2 mag extensions. I'm really looking forward to trying these on the 10 round mags for my SR9c. As I think they'd bring the SR9c up to the round count of my old Browning Hi-power, without the extended round bulk of the 17 rounders with the adapter.

Hopefully the +2 mag extensions will incorporate a finger rest like the S&W M&Pc mags.

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Dusterman said:
Great info. I just picked up my SR40 and I was wondering which spring to use. I put a SS guide rod in my SR9 and love it I instantly got tighter groups and enjoy shooting it much more. I have a 330 SR9 and I am thinking about ordering the trigger kit for it when I order the SS guide rod for the SR40. Thanks Galloway for some great parts.

Glad you like it, we aim to please. Not sure but I'd guess your just getting more comfortable with the gun and it is showing your groups. I honestly can't say how the guiderod might have changed your grouping but I'm pleased your happy.

mylastrook said:
How far out is the Galloway SR9c Guide rod assembly?
I just installed my polished striker indicator from Galloway and love it.
Also, any word on the Galloway +2 mag extensions. I'm really looking forward to trying these on the 10 round mags for my SR9c. As I think they'd bring the SR9c up to the round count of my old Browning Hi-power, without the extended round bulk of the 17 rounders with the adapter.

Glad you like the indicator they have been a great seller and everyone has been super pleased which is great.
The SR9c guiderods will be out very shortly, couple weeks, keep an eye on the site.
My extensions have been one set back after another. We want to offer the best possible and keep the cost low, that has been the biggest challenge. We are working on them. They will now work with the 10 round mags though due to the design of the mags. The base plate shoulders fold in not out, this is to keep you from adding capacity, the SR9c 10 rounders are the same body as the 10 rounder full size limited cap mags used in Cali and other nanny states. Sorry.

Happy Father's day Everyone!!!

insaneranger

Bearcat
Paul C said:

I can't speak for the Galloway guide rods, but the one I ordered from Bedair F'd up the guide rod opening on the front of my SR9 slide! I had to send it back for a refund, but now my SR9 is chewed up on the front of the slide! Oh, yeah...Bedair also kept my spring & never shipped it back! :evil:

I would like to see some good closeup pics of the Galloway rods to see if they are made differently than Bedairs. I might consider getting one, but I'm a little iffy on ordering one after my bad experience with Bedairs stainless rods.

Mike J

Hunter
insaneranger said:
Paul C said:

I can't speak for the Galloway guide rods, but the one I ordered from Bedair F'd up the guide rod opening on the front of my SR9 slide! I had to send it back for a refund, but now my SR9 is chewed up on the front of the slide! Oh, yeah...Bedair also kept my spring & never shipped it back! :evil:

I would like to see some good closeup pics of the Galloway rods to see if they are made differently than Bedairs. I might consider getting one, but I'm a little iffy on ordering one after my bad experience with Bedairs stainless rods.

This is why I think it is wisest to stick with what the manufacturer provides. For whatever it is worth I own 2 pistols that use the Browning link design & both of those have metal guide rods in them from the factory but I think with a cam design the flexibility of a plastic one might be a good thing.

Latest posts