sr40 Reloading?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jgr1974

Single-Sixer
Just wondering if the sr40 has a supported chamber? If not is there an aftermarket barrel that does have a supported chamber? Anyone reloading for the sr40? :?:

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
I have been shooting reloads in my SR40C. I don't have my exact reload data in front of me but I load at the low end of the listed powder amounts. I shoot 165 gr fmj rn bullets. I am using the speer reloading manual and it lists the loads as .40 light.

Matt

jgr1974

Single-Sixer
Do you guys use the "bulge buster" from Lee, or are you just using "normal" reloading techniques?

norfolknova

Single-Sixer
I have only reloaded my own range brass, and it was all new brass, mostly WWB and Federal from Walmart. So I just use the standard Lee sizing and depriming die that comes in the 4 die kit.

Matt

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Don't have a SR 40 but do have a SR 9c, chamber design very well supported on it.
I do load a lot of .40 for my EAA Elite Match and Beretta 96 Brigadier. I just use the Lee 4 die set with that includes the Factory Crimp Die. The carbide ring on the Lee sizing and FCD dies comes very far down on the case and IMHO is really all you need. Just be sure to adjust your dies as close to the shell plate/holder as possible.
Sal

axisofoil

Single-Sixer
yes, it's supported. yes, you can use normal dies to reload cases that were fired from the sr40. yes, it likes reloads.

Hornady hap 180gr, 6.5gr blue dot, 1.127 oal. shoots quite nicely.

Sal1950

Blackhawk
Want to try some lead?

http://www.missouribullet.com/
IDP #2 170g SWC
Hodgdon Universal 5.0g
Federal 100 SPP
OAL 1.130

Functions fine with no leading in my guns, and is VERY accurate.
Sal

boltons75

Single-Sixer
Sal1950 said:
Want to try some lead?

IDP #2 170g SWC
Hodgdon Universal 5.0g
Federal 100 SPP
OAL 1.130

Sal

Getting ready to cast a bunch of lead for my 40, what is the size of the bullet your shooting?

lordinvalid

Bearcat
jgr1974 said:
Just wondering if the sr40 has a supported chamber? If not is there an aftermarket barrel that does have a supported chamber? Anyone reloading for the sr40? :?:

I had the same concern, and wrote Ruger customer support. The following is the response I got.

"No, none of our SR series barrels are fully supported. For this reason we cannot recommend reloads in our firearms. If you should need further assistance please call our Service Department at 928/778-6555 between 8:00 - 4:00, MST Monday thru Friday, at a time convenient for you. A Ruger Representative will be happy to help you.

If you need further information, please visit our website at www.ruger.com or contact us at:

Revolvers, shotguns, rifles, 10/22 Charger Pistol: (603) 865-2442
Pistols: (928) 778-6555
Serial Number History Information: (603) 865-2424

Please note: This e-mail is sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

Sincerely,
Ruger Firearms"

After reading these post and looking at the chamber closer, I am leaning towards this response as a CYA statement. I am still new to reloading and not sure if I should invest in a LEE die set for my .40 or not.
:?:

wixedmords

Blackhawk
That is pretty much the form letter coming from any firearms company in regards to their semi-automatic firearms. It is all lawyer language. They can't just give you a open invitation to reload. It wouldn't be the smartest thing for them to put on paper.

No semi is 100% completely supported, but as time goes on they all seem to be getting more supported in their design. Even 4th generation Glocks are so much better than generation 1 and 2. I wouldn't worry about it with a SR9 or 40. But, if you are picking up range brass with bulges, that can cause some extra attention.

Find a good load you like and have at it. Like everything else in reloading, work into it slow and test the heck out of it.

lordinvalid

Bearcat
Thank you,

that was the only regret I had with my Ruger SR40C, now I will have to get the wife to open the purse strings to get my DIE set. :D

Sal1950

Blackhawk
boltons75 said:
Sal1950 said:
Want to try some lead?

IDP #2 170g SWC
Hodgdon Universal 5.0g
Federal 100 SPP
OAL 1.130

Sal

Getting ready to cast a bunch of lead for my 40, what is the size of the bullet your shooting?

I'm sorry, I didn't catch your question when you posted it. Probably too late now but Missouri sizes his .40s at .401
Sal