Factory finish on Semi-auto handguns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
I've been carrying a 38 Special LCR for 10 or more years. Still looks almost "as new".
Recently got a Glock 43 that had been the on duty BUG and off duty carry the past 5 years of a state trooper.
It too still looks new.

Gotta say …. The technology of these gun finishes is pretty impressive.

Are these 2 examples "pretty"? No, but that's not what they were designed for either.

I'm with you on the durability of Glock finishes, they seem to hold up well.
Other hand I've got two early LCP that are pretty scruffy and got there fairly
quickly. Mag release buttons grew rust when almost new and living in sweat
soaked holster. Granted different price point then the Glock 36 carried the same
but for several more years with almost no finish issue.

I've been carrying a 38 Special LCR for 10 or more years. Still looks almost "as new".
Recently got a Glock 43 that had been the on duty BUG and off duty carry the past 5 years of a state trooper.
It too still looks new.

Gotta say …. The technology of these gun finishes is pretty impressive.

Are these 2 examples "pretty"? No, but that's not what they were designed for either.
I've got two Glocks, I think you convinced me to buy the Glock 19.

The finish is nice. It's smooth and very even. Which is important because of all the flat surfaces.

But with a polymer gun, the finish is mixed into the entire piece, right? It's not just a surface coating, like painted metal. So a scratch shouldn't show up as easily.

One of the reasons I stopped caring my Ruger LCP was the rust... seems I'm corrosive in the Summer time.

I've carried a Sig P239 for about 5 or 8 years now... in a leather holster... lower is aluminum with a nitride stainless type coating and the upper is stainless.. the coating on the lower is wearing off on the edges but I'm cool with it... don't need a pretty gun for carry I need one I can depend on...

Latest posts