SR40 & LC9 on the MA Approved Firea...Last update (promi

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Update As Of 4/21/2011

All the hubbub about the SR1911 had sucked all the oxygen out of the air for a couple of days and I didn't want to bother trying calling Ruger, but I did yesterday, regarding the LC9 being approved and certified for sale in MA. Yes, it's listed on the website but apparently some people still had a question in the back of their mind (including me). Not anymore.

I received a return phone call just a few minutes ago from Ruger customer service in Arizona and spoke with a very nice woman who confirmed: YES the LC9 is approved and certified for sale in Massachusetts - and in California. It is still pending in Maryland. That's a spoken telephone confirmation from a Ruger representative, not just a picture on a website. Once again, kudos to Ruger customer service for getting back to me promptly with a straight answer.

I did not ask about the SR1911. I'll do a separate thread about that pistol as more information becomes available. This is the last time I'll update this thread.

Update As Of 4/14/2011

Good for Ruger! Massachusetts citizens now have another modern, state-of-the-art, high value striker fired .40 caliber pistol from which to choose. (See below - the LC9 is approved too according to Ruger!!) The SR40 10+1 in Black and Stainless is for sale in Massachusetts according to Ruger's website and according to a post quoting a Ruger representative found at the Northeastshooters forum. It has been green-lighted by the Attorney General.

For prospective MA SR40 buyers, now's the time to call your favorite shop and get an order in.

Response: Yes, this is correct. This new model is approved in Massachusetts. These firearms are shipping on a daily basis. We sell to Ruger distributors, who in turn supply the local FFL dealers. We have no way to know what the dealers have on order or how soon they may receive our products. The SR40 is in very high demand at this time. Hopefully your local dealers will be receiving our products quickly and he will be able to accommodate you. We do appreciate your patience. If you should need further assistance please call our Service Department at 928/778-6555 between 8:00 - 4:00, MST Monday thru Friday, at a time convenient for you. A Ruger Representative will be happy to help you.

[OLD POST FOLLOWS]

For any Ruger fans in the Commonwealth: I just checked tonight and the 10+1-round version of the SR40 in both black and stainless are now listed on the 3/11 version of the Massachusetts Approved Firearms Roster.

http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firearms/approved_firearms_roster_03-2011.pdf

It was not on the last version of the roster I saw, so this is definitely a new addition and it means that the guns have been successfully tested and approved by the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security.

[OLD INFORMATION REDACTED]

Update To the Update

According to Ruger's "MA Approved" page (link above) the LC9 has been approved for sale here as well! That comes as a bit of a surprise to me and I want to triple-check it myself by calling Ruger, but I see no reason to doubt them. If that's true, that's two excellent new choices for MA residents and I'll bet the LC9 will sell extremely well here.

Wow, it's great day for Ruger fans and frankly every gun owner in the Commonwealth who is looking for new, high value pistols, either full size or compact. The LCP is still not on the list, but at least we've got the LCR, the SR9c, and the LC9. Finally, MA has also approved the standard SR9 v 1.2 in black, which I don't believe was an option before.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that even to get the same pistol with a different finish approved, a manufacturer has to submit a complete set of guns for testing, even if the only thing different is the finish.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
gstan1919 said:
The SR-40 will be worth your wait. It is a very nice shooting gun. Hope you get one soon.

I'm looking forward to it so that I can transfer the SR9 to my Dad and have the .40 for myself ;) The SR9 won't be a stepchild hand-me-down, either: before he gets it I want to put some Galloway parts in it, and both of us like the idea of the common platform in different calibers. He dug the gun because of the ambi. controls (he's very strongly dominant left-handed) and so having the .40 will let us share the fun.

sargents1

Single-Sixer
NixieTube said:
gstan1919 said:
The SR-40 will be worth your wait. It is a very nice shooting gun. Hope you get one soon.

I'm looking forward to it so that I can transfer the SR9 to my Dad and have the .40 for myself ;) The SR9 won't be a stepchild hand-me-down, either: before he gets it I want to put some Galloway parts in it, and both of us like the idea of the common platform in different calibers. He dug the gun because of the ambi. controls (he's very strongly dominant left-handed) and so having the .40 will let us share the fun.

Let me guess, the Commonwealth makes you run a background check on your dad in order to transfer a gun to him.

Massachusetts is a silly, silly place :roll: .

The fellow that used to be Engineering Manager at work went down to the police station when he moved to New Hampshire from Mass. He said he wanted to register his guns. The officers there looked at him funny and asked "Why? Do you want them to be able to vote?"

Still, I guess we should look on the bright side, at least you can own a handgun. You could live in Chicago or Washington DC.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
sargents1 said:
NixieTube said:
gstan1919 said:

Let me guess, the Commonwealth makes you run a background check on your dad in order to transfer a gun to him.

Massachusetts is a silly, silly place :roll: .

The fellow that used to be Engineering Manager at work went down to the police station when he moved to New Hampshire from Mass. He said he wanted to register his guns. The officers there looked at him funny and asked "Why? Do you want them to be able to vote?"

Still, I guess we should look on the bright side, at least you can own a handgun. You could live in Chicago or Washington DC.

I do not have to run a background check against the purchaser as a private seller as long as they possess a license to own the legal firearm in question here in Massachusetts. I can make the private sale myself, but I still must file a transfer form with the State within 10 days of the sale I believe, declaring the transfer of the firearm. As long as the people are legal in MA and the guns are legal in MA, private sellers are allowed to conduct business between themselves so long as they make the requisite notification when they do so. The form is an FA-10.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Firearms+Registration+%26+Laws&L2=Firearms+Records+Bureau&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_forms&csid=Eeops

Yeah, it's about that silly, but I'm mindful of how deadly serious the silliness is now that I've lived here for a while. Instead of giving or "gifting" the gun to my father I'm going to sell it to him and file the requisite form with the State. He's going to get an unbeatable price on the firearm but I'm going to make sure that when he has it, he has legal ownership of it.

The corollary of this is: "Never 'loan' a firearm to anyone in Massachusetts on an extended basis, even if they have a bonafide license to have it and so do you." As far as I know there is NO SUCH thing as 'loaning' firearms to someone in this state. You must sell them in order to be truly legally safe. It is a legal grey area (very grey) if they ever have to defend themselves in court. If they cannot prove actual ownership of the firearm not only they could be in big trouble but you (the 'loaner') could be also. So I intend to make sure that when I transfer the firearm to him it is a properly registered and bonafide sale, not anything else. At all. Ever.

You and I could say anything we want and argue till we're blue in the face that it's silly, but the day an overzealous prosecutor says: "You don't really own this gun, but you shot it to defend yourself, and that doesn't matter because it wasn't yours, and now you're going to jail" is the day I hope nobody in the Commonwealth ever has to face. So I intend to scrupulously avoid that possibility. :)

sargents1

Single-Sixer
NixieTube said:
I do not have to run a background check against the purchaser as a private seller as long as they possess a license to own the legal firearm in question here in Massachusetts. I can make the private sale myself, but I still must file a transfer form with the State within 10 days of the sale I believe, declaring the transfer of the firearm. As long as the people are legal in MA and the guns are legal in MA, private sellers are allowed to conduct business between themselves so long as they make the requisite notification when they do so. The form is an FA-10.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterminal&L=3&L0=Home&L1=Firearms+Registration+%26+Laws&L2=Firearms+Records+Bureau&sid=Eeops&b=terminalcontent&f=chsb_frb_forms&csid=Eeops

Yeah, it's about that silly, but I'm mindful of how deadly serious the silliness is now that I've lived here for a while. Instead of giving or "gifting" the gun to my father I'm going to sell it to him and file the requisite form with the State. He's going to get an unbeatable price on the firearm but I'm going to make sure that when he has it, he has legal ownership of it.

The corollary of this is: "Never 'loan' a firearm to anyone in Massachusetts on an extended basis, even if they have a bonafide license to have it and so do you." As far as I know there is NO SUCH thing as 'loaning' firearms to someone in this state. You must sell them in order to be truly legally safe. It is a legal grey area (very grey) if they ever have to defend themselves in court. If they cannot prove actual ownership of the firearm not only they could be in big trouble but you (the 'loaner') could be also. So I intend to make sure that when I transfer the firearm to him it is a properly registered and bonafide sale, not anything else. At all. Ever.

You and I could say anything we want and argue till we're blue in the face that it's silly, but the day an overzealous prosecutor says: "You don't really own this gun, but you shot it to defend yourself, and that doesn't matter because it wasn't yours, and now you're going to jail" is the day I hope nobody in the Commonwealth ever has to face. So I intend to scrupulously avoid that possibility. :)

One of many reasons I am happy to live in Maine.

In any case, as responsible gun owners it is our duty to be scrupulous about following the law, even if it is not to our liking. We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard because there will always be those that do not.

BTW, I am sure your Dad is going to like the SR9. I had a chance to shoot one a while back and I liked it. Very nice feel, comfortable and natural pointing. I like the nice low bore axis too.

My cousin and shooting buddy got the SR9C for his girlfriend (probably so he could have an excuse to get a Ruger that he secretly wanted...he's a S&W guy) and has nothing but nice things to say about it, and he is REALLY picky about his guns.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
sargents1 said:
[In any case, as responsible gun owners it is our duty to be scrupulous about following the law, even if it is not to our liking. We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard because there will always be those that do not.

That's the truth exactly. In a restrictive State where the Attorney General and the State Police and the demographics themselves tend to not be in your favor, the most important thing to do is to set the best possible example. It's not "fair" but life isn't fair either. It does, however, reward excellence. :)

jhearne

Buckeye
Kudos to Ruger for getting it approved! It's good to have options.

Josh

NixieTube

Blackhawk
jhearne said:
Kudos to Ruger for getting it approved! It's good to have options.

Josh

You said it! And I was amazed to see, after looking at Ruger's page twice, that the LC9 is now approved here also! That's a big deal. Looks like I might not be buying that Kahr after all...Prescott to the rescue of my wallet! I can probably buy an SR40 and an LC9 for about 10-20% more than I would have spent for the Kahr alone. I've wanted a new compact 9 for CCW and the pickins' here were very slim until now.

I talked to one of my favorite dealers at the Holbrook Sportsman's Club show and he was unaware of the LC9 approval. Looks like he's behind the curve on this one. Oh well, I won't be buying until mid summer anyway. Good things to those that wait not to mention time for Ruger to work the bugs out. Definitley good news for Massachusetts gun owners. Thanks for posting; Mike

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Klondike Mike said:
I talked to one of my favorite dealers at the Holbrook Sportsman's Club show and he was unaware of the LC9 approval. Looks like he's behind the curve on this one. Oh well, I won't be buying until mid summer anyway. Good things to those that wait not to mention time for Ruger to work the bugs out. Definitley good news for Massachusetts gun owners. Thanks for posting; Mike

You're welcome! I was a little surprised myself to see the LC9 approval but I'm taking Ruger's website at face value - I have not independently confirmed it, and I'm going to call tomorrow and make sure that it's not some kind of web misprint but it's very very hard to imagine they would make a mistake like that, since it is a dedicated page for MA approved firearms. I have a hard time believing that would happen accidentally. Either way the SR40 approval is good news and if the LC9 is really approved (I'm 99 44/100% sure it is) it really is a good thing for MA shoppers.

Ruger is doing a really great job right now giving Massachusetts buyers options and I wish more manufacturers would do the same thing.

I'll call Ruger tomorrow to independently verify the LC9 approval and report back here to Rugerforum. I see no reason not to believe it. The page at Ruger's website has been the same now for several days and at the same time I'm quite sure a lot of Ruger Corp. people are reading *this* website inre: the possible existence of the 1911. My thread has been on Page 1 for the past couple of days here in the semiauto forum and if there was anything wrong with it I expect I would have heard from someone. In other words there's been a lot of publicity and no countervailing information regarding the LC9 in MA that I've heard. Based on that I'm saying it's an approved and certified gun, legal for sale in Massachusetts. But I'll ask Ruger for final confirmation tomorrow and post the results.

Take care!