SP101 trigger improvement....just a little bit?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

yamalink

Bearcat
About to buy a SP101 357 3" but wanted to know how easy it is to lighten the trigger pull a little. Not looking for a hair trigger but man oh mighty that stock trigger weight is pretty heavy even though the pull is smooth-ish. Maybe down to 8 or 9 pounds?

Can this be done with a simple spring swap or will a gunsmith need to work some magic?

contender

Ruger Guru
Generally,, you can improve the feel of any action with a better set of springs. However,, when a factory set is left alone,, and the gun is fired a lot,, it will smooth out a lot itself.
To truly get a smoother feeling action,, a gunsmith "cleaning up" the action will do wonders.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Getting a light trigger pull with an SP will not be easy. A spring change is easy and can be done by almost anyone to lighten the trigger. Dry-firing and use will also help the trigger. Smoothing and polishing the trigger parts is also within the ability of most owners. I think in most cases a trigger job is not necessary unless there is a really rough pull or bad trigger break. But I doubt you will get it down to 8 pounds double-action and still get reliable function with all brands of ammo. I think 10 pounds is a more realistic goal. :D

...Jimbo