SP101 Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bwarner

Bearcat
Finally was able to get my new SP101 2.5 DAO to the range. Started off with 38 spl rounds, everything ok. Got to some 357 rounds fired a cylinder went to use the ejector to clear to empty rounds the ejector rod seem to stick and would not eject the cases.
38 rounds were Winchester 130 G T&D FMJ. 357 were Fiochhi 158 G HJP.
Do I have an issue and need to call Ruger?

contender

Ruger Guru
By using the 38 spl first,, you likely caused a deposit of powder residue & maybe lead etc to "foul" the chambers. The 357 is a longer case, and when fired, the cases "stuck" to the chamber walls due to this residue.
MANY of us who have enjoyed shooting 38 spls out of our 357's for years learned early on that it requires a good cleaning of the chambers before 357 can be used.
Scrub each chamber really good, & go try 357 ammo w/o any 38 spl ammo. Bet that fixes it.

ronyama

Bearcat
I had the same problem with a new SP101 in 357 and had to use the bench to push against the ejector rod. I used a 40 caliber bronze brush to clean the chambers. Using the brush with copper chore boy will remove all of the crud. I now use only 357 cases, factory rounds and hand loads.

Arctos

Bearcat
The above suggestions will likely fix your problem, but there's also another thing you could check. On my SP101, I noticed that the spent cases did not eject when one of them was in line with the lower left rear corner of the cylinder window in the frame (shooter's perspective). The rim of the case would hit the frame and prevent ejection even though the cylinder was swung all the way open. If I rotated the cylinder slightly so none of the chambers were aligned with the problem spot, the cases ejected. Ruger sent me a prepaid return label and fixed it quickly free of charge.