SP101 in .22LR?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stantheman86

Buckeye
Yes, we need to confirm this!

I have also heard for years that Ruger was introducing a scaled-up version of the Mini-30 in 7.62x51/.308 which never happened.

I'm gonna email Ruger and ask about this, because I have wanted this for years now :D The older ones are starting to touch the $900 mark.

If they do bring it back, let's hope for a LR/WMR convertible.

I had been hoping Ruger would see the desperate need for a .22 "trainer" version of the SP101. The only other viable alternative for a new DA .22 revolver are the S&W 617's and the J-frame .22 they make, both are pretty much target guns.

pabner

Bearcat
The gun shop owner that told me about the reintroduction of the SP101 .22lr usually knows what he is talking about.

I was looking at a S&W 617. I told him the 617 was a little heavy and I would prefer something more the size of a J frame M63. But I can't stand to look at the little glass bead on the end of the M63. He mentioned that I might want to wait and see the SP101 .22lr.

He was told it would be released this year.

Thel

Blackhawk
Somewhere on the Internet I heard that Ruger would bring back the SP-101 .22 LR but with an 8 shot cylinder which could be welcome. If I recall the old 4" SP's in .22LR were about 33 oz which is about what a 4" K frame Smith Model 18 would weigh give or take an oz. or two. The new 617's are considerably heavier with the full underlug barrel. The SP-101, I would hope, would come with a lighter barrel than on the old ones and this with an 8 shot cylinder should cut some weight on the gun.

Oh, Stan, the .308 Win version of the Mini 30 was to be called the XGI but never made production after a couple of prototypes. Supposedly, the reason was given that they could never make the gas system work adequately but somewhere there is some info given on this.

hittman

Staff member
I was very fortunate to find a 4" 22LR SP a few weeks ago for a reasonable price. I too have heard this rumor for a long time. Also heard a rumor of the LCR in .22 but ..... it's just a rumor.

If you guys gotta have a double action 22 now, look for an old High Standard or JC Higgins. I've got a couple of each and they're fine inexpensive shooters!

A

Anonymous

I had a nickel H&R 905 years ago. Did well after I cut about 4 coils off the mainspring!

I'd still rather have a DA/SA Ruger .22LR. I've heard rumors of the LCR version, and they could forget selling that to me. I don't want the SP-101 version revived, I don't like the grip tang design, and it's too hefty for a .22. I've also heard the new .22 will be .22WMR. That, OR .22LR as a choice would be okay by me.

A lighter than SP frame, with traditional grips, maybe three barrel lengths, and choice of adjustable or not sights on at least the longest barrel.

Had Ruger made a .22LR SP when I got back into shooting, my carry gun would be a 3 inch .357 SP loaded with .38+P HP. And I would have a 3 inch .22 SP for partial practice. I don't care for S&W or Taurus, so I ended up using a Bobcat........ :roll:

Thel

Blackhawk
I agree with Stan. Hopefully, they will come with a fully adjustable rear sight on the 4" bbl. if offered. I would think with the recently increased cost of ammo and components that there would be a market for double action .22 revolvers. As cylinders are easier to remove from the crane than on the GP series maybe offer .22LR/.22WMR models, too. I think with an 8 or 9 shot cylinder and a lighter barrel a number of ounces could be shaved from the weight of the gun.

mjh

Single-Sixer
I've finally got some money saved and stashed away, when the new sp's are on the market, I'm bringing one home.

stantheman86

Buckeye
Ruger will probably use the same windage adjustable sight as the .327 SP101.......but they need to make the .22 SP a 4" with the option for a half lug to make it handier. If I could make any recommendation, it would be for a 2.5" full lug barrel for those who want a "trainer companion" gun for a .357 or .38 they use for a CC gun. The 4" half-lug .22 would be for those who want it primarily as a range gun or plinker.

They used to make the half lug 4" .22's, they are rare but they were made. I don't see why they can't make them again.

WarpathEngineering

Single-Sixer
I was jumping when I read this posting so I got on Ruger's website and wrote them an email telling them of the rumor about the SP101 in .22LR was coming out again soon. Here is their response.

Response:
Thank you for your email. We have no plans at this time but will forward your request to our Marketing Department.

So the lesson here is 1. Don't believe everything you hear & 2. Everyone needs to email Ruger and plead with them to bring the SP101 in .22LR back and soon. These things are getting hard to find and I have to be honest, I'm having a really hard time with the though of paying more for a .22LR revolver than I did on my .22 target rifle.

hittman

Staff member
If Ruger does have plans to introduce one ...... you think they'd spill it in an email? Naaa.........

Regardless, there's lots of options in the marketplace now for double action 22's that are good quality and affordable.

Big_Guns

Bearcat
WAIT!!! My SP101 .22LR is worth WHAT????? I just use it to practice on the range with because ammo is so cheap.

yamalink

Bearcat
My local forum had two sp101 22lr for sale the same week. Two different unaffiliated sellers. One ad read "very rare, no other like it.....$750." The other ad was like "don't shoot it much, $450."

yamalink said:
My local forum had two sp101 22lr for sale the same week. Two different unaffiliated sellers. One ad read "very rare, no other like it.....$750." The other ad was like "don't shoot it much, $450."

I'd go with the one for $750.

Always happy to pay a premium for a "very rare" model... :p :p :p

Charon

Single-Sixer
I bought my half-lug .22 SP-101 for no other reason than that I was shooting a competition at a local club in which the course of fire was six shots. I had been using a High Standard 9-shot revolver, and it was a little bit of a nuisance to load only six into it and make sure the cylinder was lined up just right when I closed it. Who knew I was buying a gun destined to be "rare, one-of-a-kind" and worth a whole bunch of money?