SP101 Hammer Issue

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lance0812

Bearcat
Bought a NIB SP101 Saturday and am well into smoothing the action by dry firing, but...
The hammer serrations are sharp enough to be uncomfortable after only a few times cocking it.
Any advice on how to smooth it without ruining the no-slip properties?

claybird

Bearcat
Lance , I had that problem with several revolvers,mainly rugers. A little time with a flat stone will help that problem.
use a little extra time on the outside corners.
While you have the stone in hand you might want to go over the outside edges of the trigger guard.

Verndog

Blackhawk
Lance0812 said:
Bought a NIB SP101 Saturday and am well into smoothing the action by dry firing, but...
The hammer serrations are sharp enough to be uncomfortable after only a few times cocking it.
Any advice on how to smooth it without ruining the no-slip properties?

You'll find most of the "bite" is the serrations where they meet the outer profile edges of the hammer. Take a fine jewelers file and put an edge break on those outer edges. Hit the top a bit also feeling as you go. Finish with some fine wet emery paper with oil anywhere from 180-360 is OK. Made a huge difference with mine. Still enough bite for no slip, but now user friendly.

DPris

Buckeye
I use a hard India stone, but pretty much any finer file or medium stone will work.
Tape around the frame & sights before you do it, in case you slip. Avoids scratching up places you don't want scratched up.

On a side note, when Ruger goes to MIM hammers on the SP, those sharp edges will be gone.
Denis