SP101 DA roughness- Try this first

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Houstonxd40

Bearcat
Hi All,
This is for anyone who has a SP101 and has double action roughness. Try this first before doing a full bore Iowegan action job. I have done a lot of action work on the SP101 and this simple work removes the largest portion of roughness experienced with the feel of the DA.

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/sp101.pdf

Remove Grips and start the disassembly as documented in manual.
Cock the hammer and insert the spring capture pin in the hammer strut.

Deal only on the hammer strut in this attempt. Use a small bench vise, open jaws slightly, hold the hammer strut assembly on top of the opening with the seat on the jaws of the vise, push down on spring, remove pin and ease the hammer strut away to disassemble the assembly. REMEMBER! The strut is under strong spring pressure. Be careful. ALSO! Take a good look at the relationship between the strut and the seat as they need to go back together in the same order.

On the hammer strut look down the edges of the strut. This strut is a stamped out part and only finished on the flat sides of the strut. the edge side looks like a piece of 60 grit sandpaper down the edge. To get a feel for how it affects the action run it up and down the cut out square of the seat. Whatever roughness you feel here will be felt and magnified when cycling the action of the gun.

Chuck the strut up in the vise and take a small file and start working on it taking that gross rough edge off. When the gross stuff is off use a crocus cloth or diamond stone to smooth out. Bevel the edges between the flats and edge. If you have a dremel tool then polish using the felt wheel and rouge. Run the edges up and down the seat cut out now. I will feel much better.

I have also noted the front edge of the strut at the hole end was actually rubbing against the frame of the revolver at the area of the grip locator pin hole. I beveled off a bit more edge of the strut in the area below the pin hole to create some clearance.

While you have your dremel and felt wheel out, polish the strut head that rotates within the hammer when the action is cycled. Just polish, don't get crazy here.

Once all this is done put the strut assembly back together. Put a dab of grease on the strut head. Put your assembly back in and remove the pin as per instructions in your manual. Cycle action. Did that sandpaper feel go away?

This may be all you need to do to get your SP101 to "feel good". It won't help the poundage but should certainly help the feel. I does on mine.

Hope this helps SP101 owners have a better experience with their revolvers.

Cheers
Houston

Houstonxd40

Bearcat
Thanks Gentlemen,

I read a lot and use search a lot but don't post a lot, unless I think I have something beneficial to add.

I have enough Ruger firearms in my collection that I consider myself a stock holder. :mrgreen:

There are more I want just not enough money, time or safe space.

The SP101 and GP series are my favorites but I do keep an eye out for Single Six series as well. I can take down the sp and the gp in my sleep. I am a constant tinkerer.

The model I have had a desire for is the SP in 9mm. Hard to find and I kick myself for not buying the one I saw on a shelf a few years ago.

Cheers
Houston

Dregg

Single-Sixer
Would it be a lot to ask for you to make a short video showing the work ?

Some people may not be confident enough to do this without a visual training aid.