SP101 and ammo preference

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dennis

Single-Sixer
I took my 3" SP101 and two different types of 38 special ammo to the range today. At 15' I hit a sheet of paper 2 out of 5 shots with brand X. I thought, WTF? Then I tried brand Y and put 5 out of 5 in a 1" group. This restored my self confidence, so I tried brand X again, and this time I hit the paper only 1 time out of 5 . Hmm, so I tried brand Y again and, once again, put 5 in one inch. That gun definitely showed a preference for brand Y. I went home and ordered a bunch of brand Y - I did not think one gun could show so much variation between two different rounds.

Just a comment about my revolver and a trip to the range.

Dennis

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
Dennis said:
Jimbo357mag said:
Well at least you don't have 5000 rounds of type 'X' sitting around. :D
Amen to that! But I will certainly start stocking up on ammo Y!

Care to share what that might be for those of us who might not have discovered this ammo to try it.
For my revolver the good target/practice ammo "Y" was Speer Lawman 38 Special +P 158 Grain TMJ. Speer #53750. It just shot really well for me today, but YMMV.

I had been shooting a lot of brand X because it was cheap, but frankly, I was beginning to think my shooting skills were digressing until I tried the Lawman line. A bit more expensive, but it is worth it for me to keep up my confidence in my shooting ability.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Just thought I'd toss this out there for everyone's worry bucket. :wink: :mrgreen:

Maintaining consistency in the production process (including the supply chain) over time is also a problem for all high volume producers. Some producers are better at process control than others, but many small things can throw it out of whack. Suppliers change, workforce turnover, machinery wears out, financial problems force cuts in critical steps, and so on. And you can't test fire every round you make, so sampling statistics can hide problems in lot-to-lot quality. What is excellent ammo today, may be crap tomorrow.

Have a nice day. :wink: :mrgreen:

Dennis

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
Just thought I'd toss this out there for everyone's worry bucket. :wink: :mrgreen:

Maintaining consistency in the production process (including the supply chain) over time is also a problem for all high volume producers. Some producers are better at process control than others, but many small things can throw it out of whack. Suppliers change, workforce turnover, machinery wears out, financial problems force cuts in critical steps, and so on. And you can't test fire every round you make, so sampling statistics can hide problems in lot-to-lot quality. What is excellent ammo today, may be crap tomorrow.

Have a nice day. :wink: :mrgreen:
GunnyGene,

I would not argue your point at all. That is one of the reasons I said YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Keep shooting straight.