SP101 357 vs LCR 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rino

Bearcat
I bobbed the spur off for snag free carry. You can still grab the hammer with your thumb with a slight pull on the trigger. With the heavy trigger pull I have never accidently fired it that way. Of course its aimed in a safe direction when doing that. Had one of the factory spurless DAO type and didnt like not being able to cock it.

Eric N.

Bearcat
I have never shot the LCR,but I have handled one at the local gun store. Nice trigger.I have a SP 101,3.06 in bbl 357 Mag. that I CCW that has the spur hammer. I have never heard anybody call the LCR as built like a "tank".

thegiantmidget

Bearcat
They're both excellent if used within their inherit limitations, but I feel they serve different purposes. The LCR is an exceptional carry piece. As a do-it-all handgun, give me the 3 1/16" .357 SP101. I wouldn't pocket an SP101. Too much heft for my liking, but IWB or OWB, I never feel under-gunned. My suggestion would be to carefully evaluate your needs. I can't think of anything the LCR does better than the SP101, besides being easier to tote. Remember... "It's not supposed to be comfortable. It IS supposed to be comforting."

Good luck with your decision.

chris_

Blackhawk
I pocket carry a 2.25 SP daily. The difference in the two is that I can go put 100 rounds through my SP while the LCR is a 20 round or so gun and then it has to go away and I am far from recoil shy.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
This is JUST the thread for which I had hoped to read!!! :) I too am considering the exact same question!

My needs for carry are not an all day situation. I basically would carry when I go hiking or out shopping. Once I get home, I can remove my carry piece and just keep a gun in each of the main rooms I frequent. It is not as if I have to have a carry weapon on me from the time I get dressed until the time I hit the sack. So for a situation where I would carry 4 hours at a time maximum, I am thinking the SP101 would be a good choice. While at a trapshooting range, I carry 2 boxes of shells in a belt pouch quite often and the weight of 2 boxes of shells was very tolerable. When walking around with one box of shells, it was barely noticeable. So I feel the weight of the SP101 is not a concern. I have mexican and pocket carried my P90 (full mag, empty chamber) around the house and it never bothered me.

I have fired the S&W 642 and had no problems with recoil in that. So I know the LCR 357 would not be a problem with 38 +P loads. But my reasoning for stepping up to the SP101 would be even faster followup shots. If I go to the LCR 357, it would be mainly for 38 +P., or even the +P+ loads. But for instances where 357 rounds would be a better choice, the SP101 would probably be better for me, especially if I have to get a faster followup against a rabid coyote or the like.

People mention pocket carry with a SP101. Have you pocket carried with loose pants such as dress slacks or Dockers?

Also, is the hammer spur on the standard SP101 snag easily on a shirt? That said, I probably would be more likely to get the DAO version. If I am going to get my carry license and use the SP101 for possible defense of my life, it may be more beneficial to me to only fire it DA so I am 100% used to it.

edit: I wonder why Ruger does not make shrouded hammer varieties like the S&W 638? Also, what I think would be a good compromise for those wanting a fully exposed hammer that does not snag on clothing would be to have a rounded hammer not unlike a P-series or a 1911 with a skeletonized hammer. Yes, it may look goofy on a revolver. But it would be far less likely to snag yet be easier to cock for SA firing than the aforementioned 638.

Black Hawk

Bearcat
People mention pocket carry with a SP101. Have you pocket carried with loose pants such as dress slacks or Dockers?

I only did once. That sp slapped and banged around so much that I never tried that again. It just didn't work for me. The lcr on the other hand was just fine. :oops:

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Black Hawk said:

I only did once. That sp slapped and banged around so much that I never tried that again. It just didn't work for me. The lcr on the other hand was just fine. :oops:
I take it that was due to its weight, correct?

As I am not exactly a skinny shooter, I am considering alternate carry locations besides a waistband holster, IWB or OWB. Let's just say that if one were to say I have a "spare tire" midsection, it would be the size of a tractor tire! :lol: I can wear my P90 inside my waistband, but due to my size, I can only place it in certain areas. Crossdraw is defintely out of the question. So I guess I am trying to consider different locations if an LCR or SP101 were to print. When I go hiking in warmer weather, I wear lightweight shirts.

Somewhere on this forum, I thought I saw a thread about concealed carry options for us with less than athletic figures. Does anybody remember that thread and/or what section it is in?

Merlinspop

Bearcat
My 2.25" SP has the spur. Rides quite well in a Silver Dollar Pancake. My thumb is over the spur as I draw and have never snagged it on any sweatshirt or coat I've practiced with. If I wanted to pocket carry, I'd go spurless. Well, no I wouldn't... I'd dig my LCP out of the safe where I put it the day my SP came home.

JaPes

Bearcat
I own a LCR .357 Magnum. My opinion of how it shoots:

.38 Special = no problem

.38 Special +p = no problem

.357 Magnum = not what I would call fun, but not unpleasant.

I don't know how to truly explain the feel of shooting a .357 Mag out of a LCR. It kicks hard. After the first 20 rounds, I was not sure I wanted to continue. Every time I went to the range, I'd bring the LCR and .357 rounds. I gradually pushed my threshold. Now, it's not so bad.. but not exactly fun either.

You'll either be ok with it or you won't.

My friend tried it. I warned him to get a good hand hold and that it would kick hard. He took a shot, recoil kicked his butt, and he put it right down. He didn't want any part of it. :lol:

I hope this helps.

Black Hawk

Bearcat
I take it that was due to its weight, correct?

Yes it was due to the weight. Probably wouldn't be as noticeable in jeans but for me it needs a holster. The lcr can just go along easier in a pocket and almost forget you have it. I do like the sp101, but want it in a holster. The lcr is just more comfortable for me to carry. It stays home when I go target practice though.

BillH2121

Bearcat
I recently purchased the Crossbreed Supertuck to carry my 2 inch SP101 and I'm surprised how easy it is to carry IWB. I honestly can't imagine pocket carrying the SP - I have trouble pocket carrying my Beretta Nano. When I first got my SP, I shot 100 rounds of 357 mag 158 gr first trip to the range and had a lot of fun. Of course, the next day I felt it but it is a joy to shoot. I would definitely get the SP - when I shot the LCR I thought it was hard to handle compared to th SP. Get the SP, even if you don't carry it, it's a great car gun or camping, etc.

Slanteyedshootist

Single-Sixer
I agree with JaPes. The more you shoot 357 through the LCR the easier it gets. I used to shoot +Ps through my first LCR and I really don't feel much of a difference with the 357's recoil.

Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
There is a significant difference in 38+Ps in an LCR and 357 recoil in a KLCR. If you don't notice the difference, you are lucky or have nerve damage. When I was younger I think I could have shot the 357s in a KLCR all day long (of course it didn't exist then). Now I don't do more than a few cylinders full of hot 357 in the LCR. Now hot 357s in the sp101...I can still shoot those all day long. :mrgreen:

tdubb

Bearcat
I had the same dilemma, SP101 or LCR. I just couldn't get myself to like the polymer even though the trigger on the LCR seemed a lot better. I got the SP101 2.25 inch barrel with the hammer spur. I knew the trigger could be improved, since I also own a GP100 that the trigger really smoothed out over time.

I got a model 577 from HolsterPro, which has extra leather covering the hammer. http://www.holsterpro.com/
2012-05-23_18-18-41_757.jpg

2012-05-23_18-18-51_232.jpg

I've since trimmed a little of the that extra leather away to suit my needs. It is my daily carry and it works really well for me.

.357 Magnums are harsh, but not painful. My palm is usually a little tender the next day if I shoot a lot of them. I could shoot .38's all day.

glenkans

Bearcat
I've got a sp 3in in 357 and my son in law has the lcr. Having shot both a lot, I'm glad I got the sp101.I carry mine inside and outside the waistband and never feel the weight. I can also shoot fairly precisely up to 50 or so yds. and cant do the same with son in laws lcr. I wouldn't have an lcr unless someone gave me one but I'd buy another sp101 if I ever wore mine out(unlikely). It's a great little all purpose gun that was designed for special purpose hence the initials.only wish I have is a larger caliber but the size would probably be too large. Great little revolver.Best wishes,Glen

ftlupton

Single-Sixer
Wifey is 69yrs old, weighs 103lbs and she can outshoot most men with her LCR at 15yds. I load it up with 4.5grs of Unique and 140gr boolits. I have had them both but now shoot a Smith 637 and love it, different strokes for different folks.

whalerman

Bearcat
I just purchased an LCR. And that was after specifically going to out to buy an sp101. I wanted a piece of steel, I ended up with a polymer DAO revolver. First thing I did was take the free box of .357 they gave me, 158ghp, to the range. The gun is surprisingly comfortable to shoot with that high power ammo. The double action trigger is much better than the sp101. Some have said the polymer won't last as long as the steel. That hasn't been the case in many other firearms. I'm a fan of my LCR.

I do have one question. What is it about the weight of the .357 LCR that adds that few ounces? It it mostly in the beefed up cylinder or are there internal differences.

whalerman

Bearcat
I just purchased an LCR. And that was after specifically going to out to buy an sp101. I wanted a piece of steel, I ended up with a polymer DAO revolver. First thing I did was take the free box of .357 they gave me, 158ghp, to the range. The gun is surprisingly comfortable to shoot with that high power ammo. The double action trigger is much better than the sp101. Some have said the polymer won't last as long as the steel. That hasn't been the case in many other firearms. I'm a fan of my LCR.

I do have one question. What is it about the weight of the .357 LCR that adds that few ounces? It it mostly in the beefed up cylinder or are there internal differences.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
whalerman said:

The 38 LCR has an aluminum frame the 357 KLCR has a stainless steel (blackened) frame. That's the majority of the weight difference. Yes the cylinder is slightly different. But I don't believe there are any internal diffferences.