SP101 357 vs LCR 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chiefwahoo

Bearcat
Hello all. I'm looking to buy my first revolver in the coming months. After April, a relative of mine who has an FFL is going to order one for me at a good price.

After some research, I've narrowed my choices to the SP101 in 357(either 2 1/4 or 3 inch barrel) or the LCR in 357. I want to be able to carry most days and also practice and develop accuracy on the Revolver. I currently carry a Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact 9mm. Basically, I'm looking to get my first revolver and like the versatility of one chambered in 357 and want to be able to carry after feeling comfortable.

Having said that, the price of the SP101 and LCR seem to be fairly close. What are some of the issues that might help me in this decision? I appreciate any help at all including the overall basic question of the drawbacks of having the hammer with the 3 inch SP101 and benefits of the fully shrouded hammer of the 2.25 inch. Is it that big of a difference of a snag risk if you have a decent holster?

Thanks.

recumbent

Buckeye
The LCR in 357 has more recoil than the heavier SP101 because the LCR is lighter.

Hard decision, too bad you can't shoot both before you decide.

Hugh

Buckeye
26 - 27 ounces for the SP-101, 17.10 ounces for the LCR.

I've not shot the LCR in any iteration. I own and shoot SP-101 2-1/4" and 3-1/16" .357 Magnums both. They are very comfortable with all .38 Special ammunition. With .357 Magnum they are not uncomfortable, but with the very heavy cartridge of some manufacturers the recoil is substantial but manageable.

I suspect that a 158 grain .357 cartridge would result in substantial recoil and commotion in the LCR. That's just a guess.

rino

Bearcat
Yes. 158 gr in the LCR is a handfull. If you want to carry for protection, then you will want 158 gr. The sp101 at 26 ounces is not much to carry. My daughter has the LCR cause the SP101 weighed her purse down too much. You will get used to carring the 26 ounce SP and it wont be long and you wont feel the weight. You WILL know you are carrying a real gun.
The LCR is a fine gun, just not for shooting much.

chiefwahoo

Bearcat
Thanks very much for the replies. I very much agree that it's too bad I can't shoot both. I don't live in a big metropolitan area that might afford that opportunity. For now, I'm going to watch hundreds of videos and read hundreds of articles to try and help my decision. I don't mind weight at all and love the "built like a Sherman Tank" description I keep seeing for the SP101. Size, maybe, but I don't mind the weight. Thanks again fellas.

WANT A LCR 22LR

Bearcat
I've got a 13.5 oz LCR 38 and regularly put top end 38+P through it. It's manageable but about 250 in one sitting is enough.

A 17 oz LCR 357 running the same +P should be more plesant to shoot. There is no reason to run 357 through such a gun.

I've run exactly " 2 " 357 rounds through a 12 Oz SW 340 PD ( Airlite Scanadium frame / ti cylinder ) 357 in this type of gun is plain stupid. . .

If you are recoil sensitive I vote for the 357 and run 38+P , if you value light weight get the LCR 38 and run the same ammo through it.

harrydog

Bearcat
chiefwahoo said:
Thanks very much for the replies. I very much agree that it's too bad I can't shoot both. I don't live in a big metropolitan area that might afford that opportunity. For now, I'm going to watch hundreds of videos and read hundreds of articles to try and help my decision. I don't mind weight at all and love the "built like a Sherman Tank" description I keep seeing for the SP101. Size, maybe, but I don't mind the weight. Thanks again fellas.
The size difference isn't all that great. If you don't mind the weight, the SP101 is the the way to go!

jimjc

Single-Sixer
I can`t speek to the LCR but I can tell you that shooting 357 mags. out of any short barreled smaller frame revolver will get your attention and probably will not be something you will wish to do often. I have shot 357 years ago and I stil remember and those were all steel guns, for self defence fine but target practicing not my cup of tea. That said THE SP101 is as good as any and better than most but it will not be comfortable to shoot target. The LCR Ican only imagine will be considerlby worse in all catagories, it`s plastic. Just a opinion Jim

Tony_The_Liger

Bearcat
Heres what I would do:

Buy the sp101, in .357, model KSP-321XL. Buy an IWB strong-side holster.

Load it up with some golden sabres, gold dots, or DPX. I like to have my first 2 chambers in a gp100 loaded with the sabres or DPX, because they tend to be milder loads and I can put the bullet on target easier with less flashbang. My last chambers are loaded with balls to the walls speer gold dots, which have never failed to get a reaction at the local range!

The steel frame will be a comfort for long term usage.

The LCR, while light, will be less controllable and less durable.

I really liked the concept of the LCR when it first came out, but there are some reports regarding flame cutting (which is NOT ok on a polymer revolver) and trigger issues (it uses a new system that is not tried and true) that made me abandon the idea. If I was going to buy a .357 snub, it would be the sp101. If I was going to buy a .38 snub, it would be a s&w 442 or 642. At the current time a .357/.38 snub is not on my list... But, it is a viable option for ccw.

In any case...

The sizes are comparable. Neither the LCR or SP101 appear to be good for pocket carry, unless you have big pockets. The LCR is quite wide for such a small gun.

So, if you are going to holster it, go for the steel. Buy the Sp101. It's tried and true and you won't be disappointed.

BulkAmmo

Bearcat
I have a SP101 and have shot the LCR .357 at my local range. If you were already comfortable with shooting revolvers i would say get the LCR since it's an easier package to conceal. Since you are wanting to do some target shooting. I would say the SP101 is the way to go. The LCR with full power 357 rounds is a bit of a dragon to hold. I prefer the steel frame to absorb some of the recoil energy for me.

It depends on your level of comfort with revolvers though. I have a preference for steel frames though.

willk

Blackhawk
Best way to describe it and help you decide is this. What is your priority? If shooting is the priority, you will not go wrong with the SP. If you only want a carry gun, the LCR shooting .38 +P is likely a better choice. (but even then, I would want the SP cause I like to shoot and the SP is definitly a shooter)

Black Hawk

Bearcat
I have an SP101 in the 2.25" version with the hammer spur. I really enjoy shooting it but do have some trouble carrying it because of the hammer and its weight. It doesn't work for me to put it in a front pocket because it is just too heavy. I think if I can find the right holster it will work just fine. Just need to somehow keep the hammer from rubbing my side. Maybe a deep holster? I also have the LCR 38spl which carries very easy in a front pocket or inside waist band holster, but isn't much fun for me to shoot. It does kick some though so its mainly for carry. This is my remedy, get both. :)

rgwarren

Bearcat
I have a LCR in 357 and it is a real hand full....I am used to shooting a 460 and 500 and the LCR still shakes me...I shoot 38 in mine when practicing. I got my wife a LCR in 38 and it is nothing like recoil of the 357.

Boanerge

Bearcat
rino said:
Yes. 158 gr in the LCR is a handfull. If you want to carry for protection, then you will want 158 gr. The sp101 at 26 ounces is not much to carry. My daughter has the LCR cause the SP101 weighed her purse down too much. You will get used to carring the 26 ounce SP and it wont be long and you wont feel the weight. You WILL know you are carrying a real gun.
The LCR is a fine gun, just not for shooting much.

+1-----

AppleAtchun

Bearcat
I rented and shot an SP101 at a local range. I also shot a GP100 and my wife has an LCR in 38 special. The LCR is lightweight and easy to conceal but is downright uncomfortable to shoot. I tried it with 38+P ammo and it stung bad. I almost dreaded pulling the trigger the next time. I can't imagine what it would be like in .357 magnum.

The SP101 was much more fun to shoot but as an FYI, I ended up buying a GP100. Love that gun. It wouldn't be my first choice for concealed carry because it's so heavy, but what a joy to shoot!

For all-around, of the two you're considering, I'd go with the SP101.

Buy both you won't regret it. And the LCR is NOT a hard gun to shoot and in fact, with the recoil reduction grips and the polymer frame, it has much less recoil than a J frame steel snubby, felt recoil that is. My wife is recoil shy and she shoots the .38 LCR with no problems. The added benefit is the very light weight to conceal carry. I love it. And we also own two Ruger sp101's but of course they weigh much more. Your decision but my suggestion, LCR first and then the SP101. JMHO!!

ronto

Hunter
I carry the 357 SP101 2 1/4" DAO (spurless) in Levi jeans front pocket in a Mika pocket holster every day and don't find it too heavy. In fact, I forget it's there most of the time.
357 Mag 135gr Speer GDHP "short barrel" ammo is not that brutal to fire from the SP.

rich642z

Single-Sixer
I own both in .357/.38 and to me there is hardly no difference except a better hold on the grip on the LCR in .357. I carry my SP101 as my primary and the LCR as a backup.