sp101 .22 LR action very stiff

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2ndtime

Bearcat
Just bought new sp101 4.2 in bbl in .22 caliber. Shot about 200 rounds to break it in, but the action is VERY stiff. Double action requires lots of effort (both thumbs) to squeeze the trigger. Single action requires major effort to pull the hammer back to cock it.

There were a couple of fail to fires which also seemed to result in the cylinder "locking" up and not allowing the hammer to cock in either DA or SA. I had to turn the cylinder a bit clockwise to open it up. This seems contrary to the alleged reliability of DA's. Is it?

This is my first double action so I recognize that this might be ok, but a good friend/shooting buddy says the effort is way off the chart.

I like the looks and feel of the gun, am a Ruger fan and prefer .22 for cost purposes and plan on going back to the range to adjust the sights.

I gather the action may loosen up a bit with use, and am willing to try this if needed.

Lastly, as I will mostly do target shooting, what distance is the most practical for me to shoot at? The main range has a max of 25 yards.

Thanks for your advice and counsel.

2ndtime

2ndtime

Bearcat
whoops, make the double action VERY stiff and single action requires both thumbs to cock the hammer.

hittman

Staff member
Give it a thorough cleaning before you panic. I'd say what you have is not normal but I'd for sure shoot it with some CLP and/or Hoppe's and blow it out with an air compressor. Make sure there's no gunk under the ejector star too.

You're not shooting Remington ammo ~ are you?

My 357 LCR was pretty stiff ~ especially the button to release the cylinder but all is well now after 400 rounds.

I personally wouldn't even think of taking any new gun to the range without cleaning it first, but it does seem that alot of people never seem to think of that - though whether it applies inthis case or not, remains to be seen. This behavior doesn't seem at all normal for a Ruger 22 revolver

cjs1945

Single-Sixer
Sounds like something is not right. My SP101-22 trigger and hammer are harder to pull than my SP101-357 and both are harder than my LCRX, but not enough to cause a problem and it does not require both thumbs to cock hammer. I run about 400 rounds threw it right out of the box with no problems other than 5 or 6 miss fires that may or may not have been the ammo. When i dismantled and cleaned it there was nothing in need of cleaning and it was well lubricated.

2ndtime:
Does this happen when dry firing? Does the cylinder rotate freely when open? Are the rounds being fully seated in the chambers? I would also suspect dirt and gunk under the extractor star.

2ndtime

Bearcat
Thanks for the replies. Now an update. Yes, I did clean the piece and read the entire Ruger manual before taking it to the range.

In addition to the 200 rounds shot at the range, I also dry fired as ok'd in the manual. I believe these actions have resulted in the double action softening up a bit, but no effect on the single action cocking. I went to another local gun store and tried single action cocking on one of their sp101's--a load of difference and only required one thumb. This convinced me that I needed to contact Ruger.

Ruger customer service very accomodating, will send me a UPS label to facilitate sending it back to NH for a look-see and repairs and return in 2 to 3 weeks. This not only seems fair and right, but underscores why I bought Ruger again.

Going back to the sighting in issue: the maximum distance at the local gunshop range is 25 yards. Is this the distance I should sight in at? My shooting goal with this pistol is to practice to get as best as I can with an open sight at the distance that is most practical.

Thanks again.
2nd Time

shatolang

Bearcat
I have thousands of rounds through my sp101 22. The more you shoot it, the smoother it gets. Absolutely my favorite 22lr pistol. Can hit an 14" gong at 100 yards religiously. The more I shoot it, the more I like it.