sp 101 327 fed mag issues (i think)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kurtrl

Bearcat
Hi all new to the forum posting but not just hanging out reading.
i have read lots of issues on the sp 101 in 327 but would like to have
you folks tell what you think of my situation maybe just me.

I have just bought a new sp101 in 327 with 4" barrel and fiber optic
factory sights.
i changed grip before shooting to the hogue grip
american eagle 100 grain ammo.

ok now when i shoot this i get /or feel stuff hitting me in the face
and buddy tried it and said the same.

also some cases are stiff to get out and lots of black on half the cases
after fired.
after 35 rounds fired the cylinder was turning harder/harder to cock.

holding down on a rest it shoots all over at 10 yards.

any ideas ? Thank kurt

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
Internet gunsmithing is a hard job.
Did you clean the gun before your first firing? The binding of it is often attributed to the build-up of crud somewhere. The face of the cylinder, the back of the barrel, under the ejector star, etc.
As for stuff blowing back,,,,, you can try this to see what is happening.
Take an older, (read disposable) white towel. Place it loosely over your hands & part of the gun as close, but not covering the cylinder/barrel gap. Fire a round, pull the towel, & see if you have any lead shavings OR burnt powder on the towel. If not sure, try again.
Also, look VERY closely at the forcing cone/throat of the barrel. Use a GOOD light. Look to see if there is any build-up on one side of the barrel or not. That may show an alignment issue.
Another way to check for alignment issues is to get a wooden dowel,
as close to the bore diameter as possible yet still able to slide down the bore. Gently insert it in the end of the barrel, sliding it down to the cylinder and when you reach the face of the cylinder,, see if it stops on the face. That can indicate a POSSIBLE alignment issue.

These are but a few ideas to try & help address what's going on.

Good info above, only thing we can say is it is better, simpler and easier to get a sheet of white poster board or such from wally word ( china mart) and make a tube ( roll it up) and try and shoot the gun within this tube (lay th e tube on table , or shooting bench,open up towards the backtop), this way you can tell ALL that is going on around the gun, splatter, muzzle flash, etc..........

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Welcome. Some powder flying out of the B/C gap is not uncommon. Some guns will do it more than others. Some ammo will do it more than others. As mentioned if the B/C gap is too large or there is a miss-alignment of the cylinder throats and the barrel you can get large propellant particles and lead or copper shavings flying out of there. Also the accuracy will be bad.

I recommend a good cleaning and then try a different ammo. If that doesn't improve the situation call Ruger and ask if they will repair the gun. If you have to send it back, ask for a shipping label from them. They should cover all the repair and shipping costs. Good luck.

kurtrl

Bearcat
thank you all and will try the poster board trick one of these
days when i get time

kwh

Bearcat
None of that sounds normal. I would contact Ruger now. They will promptly fix it.
I had difficulty cocking issues with my SP101 .327 also. Ruger had it fixed in 2 weeks.