Sold my Rugers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Or, rather, some of them.

Last fall I decided my Ruger American in .30-06 had frustrated me enough. Dad had given it to me in 2013, unfired by him but possibly fired by the shop he bought it from when they installed the scope. The scope was a Bushnell Ultra HD or some such that I didn't care for at all and was soon replaced by a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x with Ballistic Plex reticle, a scope I have on most of my rifles. The American consistently shot 2-1/2" groups at 100 yards. I tried 5-6 types of factory ammo and worked up several handloads loads to no avail. I had hoped to go elk hunting with it in 2013 but didn't have a good load. After Dad passed away in 2014 I was even more determined to make the thing work but still couldn't find a load that met my accuracy requirements. A decision was made to sell the rile and the Bushnell scope was put back on it. I know I have a picture of it somewhere but that where eludes me.

In March of 2011 I scratched a longstanding itch and purchased a Ruger #1 in .280 Remington. It was used and a/the previous owner had it nickel plated and had a Moyer trigger installed. It was a handsome rifle and a tack driver. After using it to take antelope I realized it really didn't suit my hunting needs and it became something of a safe queen that only went to the range and back. Daughter #1 is moving back to Colorado from the east coast and will be going elk hunting this fall. While I have several rifles she could use, I decided a .270/7mm-08/7x57/.280 class would be better suited for her. The Ruger #1 became trade bait. The #1 is on the right. The one on the left is the M77 in 7mm RM that I purchased new in 1982.

RUgers_-_M77_7mm_RM_and_1_280_Rem.jpg

The last rifle I sold was a Hawkeye .300WM. I had purchased it as a wedding present but the wedding was called off. The rifle had been a display rifle at Dick's and had a couple of small scratches in the bluing and some small dings in the stock. I had called Ruger and asked what they would charge to reblue the rifle and the answer was "No charge" as it was purchased as a new rifle. (Typical Ruger service.) In addition to rebluing the barrel, however, they also replaced the stock with an African stock. It was one beautiful rifle but not one I needed as a Zytel "boat paddle" .300WM was already in my safe. The Hawkeye also became trade bait.

Ruger_Hawkeye_300WM.jpg

The American and the Ruger #1 got sold before elk season last fall and I immediately went online and purchased a Ruger All-Weather .280 Rem. It showed up at the LGS the night before I left for elk camp. The first thing I did after returning from the hunt was to work on the trigger, which wasn't bad but is now quite good. It has been to the range a couple times now and I am very happy with the way it shoots. Here's the All-Weather .280 in a laminate stock I took off a stainless MKII .30-06:

20141028_211521.jpg

Next I took the Ruger Hawkeye to a couple of gun shows and traded it. While I got $100 less than I wanted for it, I also got a NIB Ruger Scout for $150 less than I could get it elsewhere, including online. It also got some trigger work. I mounted a standard Burris Fullfield II 3-9x on it and I am very pleased with how it handles and shoots. So is Daughter #1 who wants to use it for her elk hunt this coming fall. She is rather petite and prefers it to the All Weather .280. Here's the Scout with 3-round (in the rifle) and 5-round synthetic mags, caps for the synthetic mags, the steel 10-round mag it came with and a couple of bipods.

20141211_195507.jpg

I'm done selling for now but still have some wants, including a walnut/blue Hawkeye in .308 Win and another Ruger #1 in .45-70.

Jim Puke

Hunter
Nice looking rifles...those sold and those acquired.

In the last 27yrs, I have only sold 3 Ruger's, but I have a couple of 45 colt's that are about to be gone. I am not really a colt fan and these can be replaced with something that I will shoot a lot more...2 more 44 special's...like I need more of them. Really, I have only sold 2 guns in the last 25yrs...a Benelli M2 and a 357 Blackhawk. I don't like to turn guns loose, but it probably doesn't make sense to hold onto those that I don't really intend to use.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Nh Rugerman said:
To ME,
Selling = Regretting....
YMMV.

No real regrets about any gun I've ever sold, but it hasn't been that many:

Ithaca Model 49 in .22LR
S&W .38 Spl.
S&W .357 Mag
Savage 110E in .22-250
Ruger American .30-06
Ruger #1 .280 Rem
Ruger Hawkeye .300WM

Of all of those I regret selling the Ithaca Model 49 the most. It was a Christmas present in 1961. Sold it for $8 in the summer of 1969 after I graduated high school, took the money and headed west. Was gone for a month. For more money I baled hay in Nebraska, washed dishes in West Yellowstone and fought forest fires out of Missoula, Montana (probably actually in Idaho). Hopped a freight train in Whitefish, Montana, and rode it to Everett, Washington. Hitchhiked down the coast to the Big Sur area of California before turning around and heading back to home in Iowa, where I promptly joined the Air Force. Hell of an experience for a kid of 19 and it all got started with the $8 I got for the Ithaca - so my regret about selling it isn't that great.

After a couple years of looking I found a like-new Model 49 at a gun show in 2011. Others that were pretty well beat up had asking prices of $200 and more but I got this one for $105. Even with my old eyes, and given a good rest, I can hit clay pigeons at 100 yards with it on a fairly regular basis, sometimes 2-3 in a row, other times 5 shots and nothing. Glad to have a Model 49 again and won't be selling this one.

DDDWho

Bearcat
I've spent a few thousand dollars replacing guns I once owned and sold. As I think back on many of them I get kinda sick to my stomach...... now regretting the departure of every one.

With a few substitutions I gotten back most models. I'll never sell another gun....

Big Old Boy

Hunter
My brother sold my 49 while I was in Nam 1969 I wish it was still mine, also miss the traps and streachers and such he sold.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Did you ever play musical chairs when you were a kid? I think it is funny your daughter likes the scout rifle. They do look nice. :D

gtxmonte

Buckeye
Still have my Ruger pistols and several No1s, but finally moved my last centerfire Ruger bolt gun on Gun Broker last week and likely won't be owning another. Have had several, thinking maybe "this one will shoot better"......nope, hasn't happened yet. NOT that they shot bad, just not as good as I wanted. Now before the "hate" starts.......LOL!!!.... I DON'T do hunting rifles and I don't do sporter weight rifles. My primary function in a rifle, is to be a "target" rifle and I don't think it's a secret that Ruger never focused on that area.

Of all the guns I have traded and sold over the years, the only one I regret trading was a Franchi featherweight 20ga shotgun. Not that it was special or anything like that, but my grandfather had given it to me for Christmas when I was a kid. Never been a shotgun guy and haven't fired one of any kind in probably 15 years. I traded that gun when I was in my 20s, because I never used it, but now, in my older age, I realize the sentiment would be worth way more than the gun. I have bought another like it, but it was not IT, so it's not the same.

Coyote Hunter

Single-Sixer
Had the .308 Scout, All-Weather .280 Rem and a MKII stainless/laminate .223 out to the range today, along with my Ithaca Model 49.

The Scout loses quite a bit of velocity due to the 16.5" barrel but I have 3 loads for it now:

2699fps = 150g Ballistic Tip, Varget
2252fps = 208g A-MAX, BL-C(2)
2296fps = 208g A-MAX, Varget

Only took two shots with the .280 Rem, a 140g TTSX and 140g AccuBond. They went to the same places they did last time I was at the range, which is what i was checking.

Tested some 40g BT and 50g V-MAX in the .223 and it continues to have a preference for the lighter bullets. In the last three trips to the range it has given me three separate two-shot groups measuring under .5"

Most of my time was spent trying to hit clay pigeons on the 100-yard berm with the .22 Ithaca. Broke 7 out of 8 and used up a box of 50 bullets in the process. Some pigeons that were just "winged" with the the first hit were shot again so I don't know what the hit total was but would guess 10-11. If the pigeons were 6" I would have had a lot more hits as many bullets danced just off the edge. Not bad for irons and my eyes.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
After 40 years and a pile of Rugers I have a 1959 44 Blackhawk left, and I don't see anymore in my future.

DDDWho

Bearcat
gtxmonte said:
Of all the guns I have traded and sold over the years, the only one I regret trading was a Franchi featherweight 20ga shotgun. Not that it was special or anything like that, but my grandfather had given it to me for Christmas when I was a kid. Never been a shotgun guy and haven't fired one of any kind in probably 15 years. I traded that gun when I was in my 20s, because I never used it, but now, in my older age, I realize the sentiment would be worth way more than the gun. I have bought another like it, but it was not IT, so it's not the same.

I inherited a model 12 Winchester from my favorite Uncle. I did not actually inherit it he gave it to me while he was still living some 40 years ago. He loved the gun and I hunted with him many times as he carried it. If he had not given it to me in person I'm not sure it would mean as much to me, an act of unconditional love IMO. I've hunted with it for years until my legs got old. Now as I lean it against a post on my porch waiting for that ground hog to show himself from underneath I think of him remembering the times we had together and sometimes tear up. It is my most cherished possession.

Major T

Blackhawk
I never had a Ruuger bolt gun. I rigged one for my BIL and it does well thank you. First Mini-14 was as accurate with the peep as with a scope. I always felt it was the Rube Goldburg scope mount wiggeling. Sold it and got one of the newer ones with the swell in the barrel. It does really close to an inch after a little work on the trigger, and that is with factory ammo.

I have five Single Action revolvers, Bearcat through .44s and two old Mk I s. Dad's old early 60s 6+" and a 5" bull barrel. Both are still scary accurate.

These Rugers aren't going anywhere.

I bought a couple of Lipsey No. 1s a while back. I kind of regret letting one of my physicians have the 1S-C, but I'm still fretting scoping the AH. I have a couple of old long 4X scopes that work, but they seem like not enough glass for a .25-06. So far, as new in the box. Fate to be determined.

Jack

HAWKEYE#28

Staff member
Coyote Hunter said:
Nh Rugerman said:
To ME,
Selling = Regretting....
YMMV.

No real regrets about any gun I've ever sold, but it hasn't been that many:

Ithaca Model 49 in .22LR
S&W .38 Spl.
S&W .357 Mag
Savage 110E in .22-250
Ruger American .30-06
Ruger #1 .280 Rem
Ruger Hawkeye .300WM

Of all of those I regret selling the Ithaca Model 49 the most. It was a Christmas present in 1961. Sold it for $8 in the summer of 1969 after I graduated high school, took the money and headed west. Was gone for a month. For more money I baled hay in Nebraska, washed dishes in West Yellowstone and fought forest fires out of Missoula, Montana (probably actually in Idaho). Hopped a freight train in Whitefish, Montana, and rode it to Everett, Washington. Hitchhiked down the coast to the Big Sur area of California before turning around and heading back to home in Iowa, where I promptly joined the Air Force. Hell of an experience for a kid of 19 and it all got started with the $8 I got for the Ithaca - so my regret about selling it isn't that great.

After a couple years of looking I found a like-new Model 49 at a gun show in 2011. Others that were pretty well beat up had asking prices of $200 and more but I got this one for $105. Even with my old eyes, and given a good rest, I can hit clay pigeons at 100 yards with it on a fairly regular basis, sometimes 2-3 in a row, other times 5 shots and nothing. Glad to have a Model 49 again and won't be selling this one.

PLEASE:
SELL THE SCRIPT ABOUT THAT TRIP ([COMPLIMENT HERE].....THINK YOU HAVE THE SKILLS TO WRITE IT) IE: YOUR ADVENTURES AND EDUCATION AND SURVIVAL ON THAT TRIP.....SEEMS IT WOULD MAKE ONE HELL OF A MOVIE.........CLINT EASTWOOD WOULD LOVE TO DIRECT THE FILM, I'D BET GOOD MONEY..........HURRY UP! :!: 8)

dakota1911

Buckeye
I look at it as those you sold/traded went to good homes and you will give the new ones a good home.