skunk trapping

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sapo

Single-Sixer
I use sweet feed / horse and mule feed around the barn to avoid cats in traps. I put SF/HM in their bowl and it was immediately rejected, no interest. Caught 5 racoons terrorizing my feed room.

contender

Ruger Guru
The gas chamber I use normally, the skunks do not release their essence. Occasionally, one will, but not often.
As for spraying in a normal cage,, I have never had one spray while in a cage. But I don't excite them either.

My bait for skunks, coons & possums is a "sweet" bait. I have a couple of different ones. Some more specialized than others. Generally, I use (and do NOT laugh) is cheap honey buns. I buy the small ones that are sold in boxes of 8 or so for a few bucks. I leave them in the plastic, cut one in half, and place them inside my special bait station inside my cages. Plastic wrapping & all. With it cut open, they can easily find it. I get (2) baits from one honey bun.
My cages are also not "as sold by the factory." I modify my cages in a few ways to ensure a better catch ratio, as well as reducing damages by raccoons.

Teflon97116

Bearcat
Skunks are not uncommon on my suburban hillside with woods nearby. Some summer eves there's a quick whiff of skunkiness on the breeze. Went to close the patio slider last year and noticed my new neighbors out on their deck, blissfully unaware. Might've had something to do with their bong, lol.

gundog5

Single-Sixer
I use Hav-A-Heart live traps. I bait them with cheap canned cat food. If I catch a cat I just let them go with a full stomach. I f I catch a skunk I shoot them in the head with a .22 short HP.. I have used chicken eggs for bait but don't catch as many as with cat food.

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
ole442,, NC has the law against relocation of animals that can be rabies vectors,,, so we too have to kill the offensive critters.
The differences are HOW you kill them.

I can legally shoot a critter, I can use a gas chamber, or a guillotine. (The guillotine is allowed because the State uses them to kill animals they test for rabies.) I can also use a kill type of trap.
BUT,, in most city limits in this country,, shooting a firearm is illegal. So,, that option is out. I use a lot of live traps,, remove the animals from a home,, and kill them at my place.
By doing this,, it also reduces the chances of offending a neighbor of a customer if they were to happen to see something they disliked. Now I also use kill traps. Very efficient too! But skunks get the live traps. No need to have them stink up the neighborhood.
How do you transport a live and probably irritated skunk?

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Had a lot of possums. Took a trash can and a brick. Wire a chicken bone to the brick so they can't drag it off. Brick in the bottom of the trash can. Lay the can on it's side on the ground. Possum- slow and dumb can't jump. Come out and flip the can up. Dumb possum looking up at me. Pellet gun. Load the pellet up side down it becomes a hollow point. Double load with two pellets. He can't jump. Bop him on the head with the muzzle. He gets pissed. Opens his mouth and hisses. Put muzzle in his mouth and fire. Done. ---As for CATS-- In some Southern California cities Cats are called "Roof Rabbit". Make good tacos. I would eat off the carts in East LA. I am White? I think? My friends who were Mexican said I was NUTS. Tacos were good. Very good.

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
"How do you transport a live and probably irritated skunk?'

That's why people pay a professional like myself. And for the record,, I've never been sprayed.

Latest posts