skunk trapping

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Not intentional but it smells the same.
One of the less desirable aspects of coyote trapping is the 'off target' catches such as skunks. The normal response is to shoot the skunk from a 'safe' distance, wait a day or two, and then reset the trap. Two days wasn't nearly long enough for the last one. DARN, I was so happy I lost my sense of smell during my latest bout of Kung Floo. DIL is very adamant about skunk smell in HER HOUSE so Son may have had to change clothes in the shop building before she'd let him in.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yeah,, skunk perfume can be quite off-putting to many. :D :D

And yes,, coyote trapping with foot holds does catch "non-target" critters. Skunks are the least favorite to most trappers.
BUT,, the skunk smell at the trap set can actually work in your favor. Many a yote like the scent & it helps cover man smells.

I've heard that about skunk smell making the set attractive but it hasn't worked that way for us. My opinion (the opinion of someone who doesn't have to prep an entirely new set) based on what I've seen is the yoties will come and check the set out but are more likely to dig up or 'foul' the set than to get caught.
I'm wondering if the boys didn't clean their traps before setting this year and the coyotes can smell them and dig them out. I was hoping for more light snow cover so they could use the 'hay pile' sets this year. Those were the highest catching sets we've ever used. I can even reset those and make another catch the next night. They just don't work well on mud.

krw

Blackhawk
Most who catch coyotes in SW Ark use snares. Then the coyotes get sold to 'fox' pens

contender

Ruger Guru
Snares aren't legal in all states. A very effective trap,, but politics keeps them unavailable to some.

Fox pens.

We have those in my area. It used to be legal to sell live coyotes to them, but the state finally saw the error of their ways & stopped it. Or at least,, made it illegal to do so.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Yeah,, skunk perfume can be quite off-putting to many. :D :D

And yes,, coyote trapping with foot holds does catch "non-target" critters. Skunks are the least favorite to most trappers.
BUT,, the skunk smell at the trap set can actually work in your favor. Many a yote like the scent & it helps cover man smells.
When I was 16 a local Fur buyer & Professional Trapper, Art Scott (NTHF 1997) taught me the basics of fox trapping. He would often state
that catching a skunk almost guaranteed a fox catch at that set later, I have also found this to be true over my years of trapping. He would
dispatch the skunk, take it out of the trap & pull the trap. Then in the middle of the catch circle he would partially bury the skunk and then
make a fresh dirt hole set with a clean trap on the edge 3-4 feet out. He would not use any bait or lure in the hole, just a squirt of urine in the bottom.
He said that some times fox like to dig & roll in the skunk catch circle, but in working the set he would discover the new dirt hole set and work it also resulting in a catch.
In 1966 he caught 66 Red & Gray Fox in 10 days, one of the best times of my teens.
When I smell skunk I think of crisp fall days dyeing & waxing traps for Fox trapping. (y)
Sorry for being long winded response.
Terry

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Terry,, I've heard similar stories all my life AND experienced some of the same. NO problem in you "long" post. Heck,, that was a short one for me! :D

In lure making for canines,, it's an often used ingredient (skunk essence) that is used to help attract them.

And your method of trapping foxes,, one of the variations I have known for decades. :D

My favorite expression about skunks when I'm called to trap them; "Skunks,, they smell like money to me!" :D It's funny, folks never seem to argue about my prices when it comes to skunks, snakes & bats. I love it! (Skunk trapping has helped me buy several Rugers!)

contender

Ruger Guru
ole442,, NC has the law against relocation of animals that can be rabies vectors,,, so we too have to kill the offensive critters.
The differences are HOW you kill them.

I can legally shoot a critter, I can use a gas chamber, or a guillotine. (The guillotine is allowed because the State uses them to kill animals they test for rabies.) I can also use a kill type of trap.
BUT,, in most city limits in this country,, shooting a firearm is illegal. So,, that option is out. I use a lot of live traps,, remove the animals from a home,, and kill them at my place.
By doing this,, it also reduces the chances of offending a neighbor of a customer if they were to happen to see something they disliked. Now I also use kill traps. Very efficient too! But skunks get the live traps. No need to have them stink up the neighborhood.

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Art Scott also sold Trapping Supplies and made a lot of his own lures, he also raised his own Fox & collected their urine. I loved the smell of his Fur Shed & Trapping Supply House. This thread brings back good memories of times I'll never see again.

Considering the damage skunks can do to ground nesting bird populations, the rabies vector, and the damage they do to lawns/gardens, WHY would anyone even think about relocating?
This has been a fairly mild winter in north MO so the skunks haven't gone dormant. My front yard looks like hogs have been rooting where the skunks have been digging for grubs in the unfrozen turf.
Skunks are a target of opportunity here.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
Best way. Use a Have-a-heart trap. The long one with the 8" opening. They can't lift the tail to spray. Dig 2 holes. One "post hole" about 3' deep. The other a trench deep enough to hold the trap. Line the trench with plastic sheet and fill with water. Bate the trap with wet cat food and/or peanut butter. Trap skunk. Put trap in water. Wait. Dump skunk in post hole. Reset trap and repeat. At one time I was getting 4 or 5 a day. Tips-- #1 if you catch the cat let it go. #2 you can double or triple bait. P&B,cat food ,tuna juice ect. Better odds of a catch. #3 when done back fill the post hole. #4 if the skunks won't go in the trap wire the trap doors open and feed the skunks IN the trap for a week. They will loose there fear of it. I am doing this with pidgins now.Feeding them in the trap. I don't want to catch them but if the food supply gets low they will be easy to catch. For the record the skunk trapping was 50 years ago in a state far far away! PS- Unless you can take skunks 20 miles away from all homes relocating will not work.
1677163468950.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
ole442; Yes,, relocation was stopped to try & prevent the severe spreading of rabies in most of the states that stopped relocation.

Old & Grumpy.
I am a State certified Animal Damage Control Agent.

A few thoughts about your post.

Wet cat food for bait WILL result in catching non-target animals. Cats, dogs, coons, possums rats, & such will go after wet cat food. I never use cat food. Imagine the publicity (all negative) if I caught a kids pet. Even you admitted to catching a cat. There are much better baits that work.

Drowning a skunk in a trench or whatever is illegal in many states. Here in NC,, it's illegal. I'd check the laws before trying that one.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
This method is silent. The old lady next door who feeds them won't know as long as you have a good fence or hedge.

Old and grumpy

Single-Sixer
I let the cats, birds and others go. The rats died of fright very fast.That's ok. I never left the trap alone for long.

Sapo

Single-Sixer
? For Contender..........when you asphyxiate a skunk, do they still release the stink? Can they spray while in a properly sized live trap?

Too many skunks and I live with the windows open in central Texas

Latest posts