Single-Six Hunter Accuracy Problems (long)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wisecane

Bearcat
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and SA revolvers in general. I did my research and wanted a dependable revolver in 22 Mag to carry when I'm just out messing around in the woods. I decided a Single-Six Hunter was for me and found a good deal on one "new to me" that came with both cylinders, two sets of Ruger rings and a 2x8 Konus pistol scope and a Millet red-dot sight. During my research, everyone commented on the outstanding accuracy of the Hunter line.

I received the Hunter and love the feel and finish of it. I cleaned it thoroughly and set out to my range to do some shooting. I had two different mag loads and box of bulk 22 lr ammo. I also had a boresnake with me to pass through the cylinders and bore if it fouled up too quickly (I have had experience with a S&W Model 48 that gets "sticky" after the 4th or 5th cylinder worth of shooting). Anyway I set up a target at 25 yards and started shooting.

What I got was more of a pattern than a group. Didn't matter what ammo or cylinder, the best I could do was 6" to 8" "groups". Granted I was shooting out of my truck window with the sill as a brace, so I thought well maybe I'm just not that good with this pistol. I am a good shot with a rifle and with my Glock 17 but I don't claim to be a world champion or anything.

I decided to try and remove myself as a variable as much as possible so I shot approximately 20 to 30 groups over the next 3-4 days to familiarize myself with the feel of the pistol. I boresnaked it after every 3-4 groups or between ammo brand/cylinder changes. Things didn't get any better accuracy wise.

I then set up a shooting bench with sandbag rests at 25 yards and took three different brands of 22 mag ammo and two more brands of 22lr with me. I spent 3 hours or so carefully shooting multiple groups with each. I had mounted the red dot to the gun so that I could be sure that it wasn't my eyes betraying me. All shooting was done from sitting at the bench off of sandbags. This is what I found:

For every six shots with the mag ammo regardless of brand I would have a group approximately 4-6" with shots low and left, high and right, and some in the inner ring. There would be 2 low and left, 2 high and right, and a couple in the "middle".

One of the 22lr brands produced a group that was about 3" outside to outside but strung along horizontally. The other was 4-6" patterns like the mag ammo.

From reading the Hunter threads on this forum it seems to me that I have a lemon. I don't know what recourse I have with Ruger since I didn't buy the gun new. What suggestions would you guys give me? I love the pistol, but if it doesn't get any better than this, I may have to look at something else.

Thanks for reading my long-winded post, all advice criticisms are welcome.

Sincerely,

wisecane

CraigC

Hawkeye
For one thing, stop cleaning the bore. A .22LR loves a dirty bore and a clean bore often will not shoot worth a toot. I have two dozen rimfire guns and shoot 2000-3000rds of .22LR a month and I cannot remember the last time I cleaned one of their bores. Unless there's leading, it's completely unnecessary. Swab your chambers when necessary but stay out of the bore for at least a few thousand rounds.

Are your rings staying tight? Have you ever shot a handgun with an optic before? You may be experiencing parallax issues with that pistols scope. I learned the hard way when I put a Burris 2-7x on a .22 pistol. It was unusable above 2x at ranges less than 75yds. How much shooting have you done with single action revolvers? SA's are very sensitive to grip variations. It takes practice and concentration to shoot them accurately. How much pistol shooting have you done from the bench? It also takes a lot of practice and concentration to shoot a handgun from the bench, as well as a consistent technique.

Sax.45

Single-Sixer
I agree with CraigC. Also single actions have a long lock time.Follow thru with your trigger pull and stay focused on the sights. Grip is very important. If you havn't shot many single actions it takes a bit to get used to.

wisecane

Bearcat
The red dot was the sight I mounted. No parallax issues there. After firing a few of the groups off of sandbags, I practiced dry-firing with the dot to see if I was torquing upon trigger squeeze. The dot stayed solid.

I have been shooting rifles (long-range precision, 20+ years) and my Glock 17 for well over 15 years both on and off bags. The concept is not unfamilar to me, lol. I have just not previously owned a SA rimfire.

I used to shoot my dad's old Blackhawk 44 Mag and could hit a beer can at 25 yds freehand so I have shot revolvers in the past. I shot my brother-in-laws S&W Model 48 22 mag freehand the other day with iron sights and did better with it than off the bag with this Hunter.

I agree with you about cleaning the bore, I have a Marlin 882 22 mag that won't shoot for crap if it is clean. I mainly boresnake the chambers so the cases eject easier.

I guess I just expected more from this pistol since it is supposed to be the top Single -Six.

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
Cleaning it is not the problem. I don't clean mine. I'm not saying it's not a factor, but you shouldn't be getting those kind of groups clean or dirty. I'd call Ruger. I wouldn't mention that I bought it used unless they asked. They probably won't ask. First I would check the muzzle and have a few friends try it out. From sandbags, with a scope and decent cheap ammo, you should be getting mostly sub 1" groups.

Good luck.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It might not be THE problem but it could be contributing. It can definitely make a measurable difference.

CraigC

Hawkeye
I agree but it's one small thing that can be easily checked off the list.

I'd suggest:
1. Shoot it with iron sights

2. Shoot it some more in varying positions.

3. Let someone else shoot it who is familiar with SA's.

Hammerdown77

Blackhawk
If you hadn't mentioned taking along the both cylinders and shooting mag along with the LR, I would have asked whether or not you were accidentally shooting 22 LR out of the mag cylinder. Been there, done that, and it results in random groupings as you mention.

However, if you are not getting at least sub 2" groups with the magnum rounds (should be more like sub 1"), then something is definitely wrong. Either your scope is moving, the LED is loose, or you have a mechanical problem in the gun.

I would shoot it with the iron sights, as suggested. If you don't see some improvement, I'd start looking hard at the crown. My uncle had a Single Six that just would not shoot, no matter what ammo we put in it. Random patterns like yours. A gunsmith looked at it and found a small ding (you really had to look for it) in the crown. Re-cut the crown, and voila. Drove tacks.

wisecane

Bearcat
First off thanks for all of the replies.

I just want to clarify the order things have gone with this gun:

1. I received it and cleaned it, then shot with iron sights from my truck using the window sill as a prop. 6-8" groups with both cylinders and two different kinds of ammo.

2. Cleaned it up set up a bench at my range and shot iron sights from sandbags. Two different types of ammo, still 6-8" groups from mag cylinder, slightly better with lr.

3. Mounted red dot, cleaned and returned to range. Shot with 3 different mag loads and two lr off of bags, mag loads "shrunk" to 5-7" and lr to 4-6" excepting one group that was about 3-4" with horizontal stringing.

4. Got disgusted and came here to ask for advice/help.

I think I'll call Ruger tomorrow and see what they say.

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I agree with others on the overcleaning of the 22. I have shot lots of 22's and maybe clean the barrel every several years running 10 to 20 thousand rounds through the barrels without cleaning. When I do clean them accuracy goes away for at least 100 shots then it's back to great groups again using rifles I'm talking 10 shots into a group the size of your pinkie fingernail at 25 yds with dirty barrel but after cleaning they open to over 1" groups. I would try carrying out a brick of 22 ammo and shooting it all up then check groups in the last 50 or so with the barrel fouled and see if it doesn't close up a lot. It's definately worth a try.

What about marking the chambers in the cylinders to see if one of them or more than one is the culprit? Perhaps the chambers are too "loose"?

Also what about the front sight? If that is canted could that still be the problem (if it is canted that is) with a red dot or scope?

Let us know the outcome, I for one am interested.

single action

Single-Sixer
My .22 hunter sucks also, I do much better with my many other single action .22 without a scope. I have both old models and new models that shoot better. I have tried 9 different types of ammo and none are good. Had much highter expectations then the gun delivered, very disappointed in that one. sa

wisecane

Bearcat
Update-

Called Ruger and described my problems. The very nice lady I spoke to gave me shipping instructions and a RA number in less than 5 minutes. Gun is on its way to Ruger as we speak. I will update again once I hear from them and get it back.

Thanks again for all of the advice/opinions.

Stoots

Buckeye
wisecane said:
Update-

Called Ruger and described my problems. The very nice lady I spoke to gave me shipping instructions and a RA number in less than 5 minutes. Gun is on its way to Ruger as we speak. I will update again once I hear from them and get it back.

Thanks again for all of the advice/opinions.

Good deal.

Keep us posted; it'll be interesting to hear what they find.

wisecane

Bearcat
Update: I called Ruger and they gave me a RA number and I sent it back. They sent it back to me with a note saying repaired barrel and both chamber. They didn't specify what the repairs were.

The mag cylinder feels tighter. I will try to make it to my range today or tomorrow and I'll report back the results.

One thing I will say. From the initial phone call until the gun was returned to me was about ten days and four days of that was wasted because the UPS man didn't show up on time on a Friday or Monday to pick it up from me. I sent it 2 day air and it was returned to me 2 day air. Customer service is not a problem at Ruger.

Stoots

Buckeye
wisecane said:
Update: I called Ruger and they gave me a RA number and I sent it back. They sent it back to me with a note saying repaired barrel and both chamber. They didn't specify what the repairs were.

The mag cylinder feels tighter. I will try to make it to my range today or tomorrow and I'll report back the results.

One thing I will say. From the initial phone call until the gun was returned to me was about ten days and four days of that was wasted because the UPS man didn't show up on time on a Friday or Monday to pick it up from me. I sent it 2 day air and it was returned to me 2 day air. Customer service is not a problem at Ruger.

Excellent!

Looking forward to your range report!

:D

wisecane

Bearcat
Range Report:

Started out with factory grips and iron sights off of sandbags from 25 yds.

I used three different types of mag ammo and one 22 lr brand.

I achieved 2.5" to 3.5" groups but with obvious flyers that I knew was on me. I realized that I really don't care for the sight picture of the factory sights. I may try the firesights. Factory grip felt too small.

Switched to Hogue grip and mounted a Millet Red Dot. Immediate difference in control, comfortable grip, etc. Plus the Dot really helps me focus.

Groups shrank to 1.5" to 2" inches with several instances of two (or sometimes 3) bullets touching or cloverleafing. I realize that I need some range time as this is my first SA, but I really like it. Pistol shoots much cleaner although I had a curious thing happen with one brand of ammo. I had some CCI Maxi-Mag 40 gr HP, and I swear I felt like a pressure wave coming back at me from the pistol every time I fired it and there were little grains falling out of the ends of the chambers. They didn't group great but they weren't the worst either.

I'll list the ammo types in order of the way this gun likes them:

Remington 33gr Accutips
(tie) CCI MaxiMag 40gr HP/Remington 40gr PSP
Federal 40gr FMJ

The 22lr was Winchester Super-X HP. It shot it about as well as the Federal. Anybody have any suggestions for 22 lr ammo that might perform well?

The one gripe I have is the trigger has some creep. I have heard this is the norm for Ruger SA. What is the remedy?

I am in the process of building a new shooting shelter and adjustable bench. Once I get it finished, I'll set up the chrony and see what she prints. I am also going to accuracy check each chamber for POA/POI and consistency.

Looking back on it I think I would like a 6.5" version better, but this pistol is definitely growing on me.