Single Seven, a Review and First Shots.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LSCG

Buckeye
Well i picked up my Ruger Single Seven a few weeks ago and now that I've had a chance to handle it and shoot it some i thought I'd do a review.

after picking it up I gave the little Seven Gun a thorough once over finding only a few small flaws along the way. two tiny places on the main frame weren't perfectly cut (neither is noticeable with one being inside the frame where the cylinder sits and the other is nearly covered up by the grip frame on the underside) the threads on one of the grip frame screws is buggered up, the grip fit was sloppy towards the bottom of the grip frame and the grips themselves have a very uncomfortable boxy feel to them. other than that i could find nothing wrong with the gun.

i had picked up a Wolff spring pack when I ordered the single seven so the next thing i did was add a reduced power hammer spring and trigger spring which did lighten the action considerably but unfortunately at the same time it became very gritty. after some research i found this article http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/diy-slick-ruger-single-action/ following some of the steps in it I polished all the parts except where the Sear engages ( i don't have the proper jigs for that) the result is the smoothest single action i own.

last week i finally had a chance to shoot it taking along a box of Federal American Eagle 100 grain Jacketed soft points and some reloads. after firing a few rounds to make sure I'd hit paper i shot the Federal 100 grainers for group at 25 and 50 yards. the 25 yard group measured 2 5/16" and the 50 yard group measured 3 5/8".

next I tried my reloads. all rounds were loaded using Lee dies, Brand new Starline brass, CCI small pistol primers and 100 grain Hornady XTP Bullets. Load data was taken from Hodgdon's web site and all shots were fired while leaning over a round bale.

first up was IMR 800x with a starting charge of 6 grains, then 6.5 and a Max charge of 6.9 Grains. ( due to my screw up at the reloading bench a fifth shot was not fired in this group )

the next powder tried was IMR 4227 with a starting charge of 11.5 grains, then 12 grains and a max charge of 12.5 Grains compressed.

the most accurate load of the day was the 12.5 grains of IMR 4227 with five shots going into 1 9/16". because of this and the fact that I have more 4227 than anything else this is the load I chose to go with.

another five rounds were loaded with this charge and fired at 50 yards. not counting the called flyer four shots went into 2 3/8" and the fifth shot opened the group up to 4"

so far I am extremely happy with it and can't wait to start putting it to work on the Coyote population.:)

jimd441

Blackhawk
Thanks for the review. I looked and didn't see it on the Ruger website. What caliber is it?

Jim

Ethang

Blackhawk
Nice review and range report. All things Single Seven seem to have died down as of late. Looking forward to your reports on coyote results.

LSCG

Buckeye
jimd441 said:
Thanks for the review. I looked and didn't see it on the Ruger website. What caliber is it?

Jim

the Single Seven is chambered for the 327 Federal Mag. it will also fire the 32H&R mag, the 32 S&W long and the 32 acp

djw54

Single-Sixer
jimd441 said:

Jim

Also, search here on the forum for more info. It's a Lipsey's exclusive, so you won't find it on the Ruger website.

Don

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
It can be found on the web site under single six distributor exclusives.
I have been playing with loads in my 7 1/2" and so far a 10 gr. starting charge of 2400 under a Hornady 100 gr. bullet at 1235 f.p.s. has been the most accurate giving 14 shot ORH group at 45 feet rested.
A very accurate and fun little shooter for sure.

LSCG

Buckeye
Chuck 100 yd said:
It can be found on the web site under single six distributor exclusives.
I have been playing with loads in my 7 1/2" and so far a 10 gr. starting charge of 2400 under a Hornady 100 gr. bullet at 1235 f.p.s. has been the most accurate giving 14 shot ORH group at 45 feet rested.
A very accurate and fun little shooter for sure.

good to know that load of 2400 is an accurate one!

i thought about trying 2400 in mine using some of Brian Pearce's loads from the new handloader Magazine but i'm down to just one pound now and thought i'd better save it for my 44's.

JustsayMo

Single-Sixer
Excellent review and range report. Thank you for posting.

My Single Seven seems to favor loads at the hotter end of the data, especially with 115 grain bullets.

For such a diminutive caliber I'm amazed how fast it can burn through powder and lead.

contender

Ruger Guru
Casting isn't too hard to get into. But, like reloading, you can start with a bit less equipment, and build, or you can bite the bullet (so to speak) and buy a good quality casting pot, a few good molds, and a few other minor accessories & be set for life. Remember, bullet casting has been done for centuries by the common man.

picturerock

Bearcat
Great review. Now you have me jonesing for a new Ruger (like that's hard to do!). Any experience yet with shooting some of those other cartridges? It's hard to believe you can go as low as a 32 acp.

LSCG

Buckeye
no I haven't shot any other cartridges out of it yet. I imagine the 32H&R would provide good accuracy, the 32acp on the other hand would probably group like a shotgun lol.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
They don't shoot all that bad in 32 long chambered guns and 32 H&R mag. There's certainly a long bullet jump to the chamber throats in a 327, but from what I'm told they don't shoot that bad.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Thanks for the review...and nice shooting....looks like it's grouping in for you too. I'd say it'll improve as you do more shooting with it...smoothing out the barrel as it were. In my Rugers, somewhere around 100 shots, with jacketed bullets gave me all the improvement I was going to get, and my cast loads improved measurably. If you get into casting, I'd recommend Lyman's 311008 sized, 0.312" if your mold will throw them that large. In my Ruger Birds Head .32 H&R it's a 1.5" group producer and even better in my S&W M16. Truly a fine bullet for that caliber. Lyman's 311316 GC also does extremely well and might even be a better choice for your application if you intend to push them out past 1200 fps. Either is a great bullet in the .32 H&R and should be as good in the 327 Federal.

In factory swagged bullets, the Hornady one is a good option with a small charge of 231 in H&R brass if you're just punching targets. For chucks etc, the XTP bullet is accurate and opens well down to say 950 fps.

Unique and Win 231 with Winchester Small Pistol Primers (standard not magnum) were the components I used and I cast my .32's with a wheel weight alloy sweetened with just enough tin to ensure mold fill out. Lube is NRA's 50-50 but lately, I've found that LLA or 45-45-10 swirl lubing does just as well at least up to 1100 fps in some calibers.

I am curious however...how's your brass holding up to multiple reloads? My initial trials with the .32 H&R with factory Federal loads produced about 25% case splitting on first firing (that's with the factory load). Federal responded verbally to my call, but wanted me to send them the box of loads....but with HAZMAT fees and shipping I blew it off as a non-starter. Since then, I've not bought another box of Federal loads in that caliber. I've had good brass life with Starline however, getting 10-12 loads out of them on average, before the lip of the case mouth splits. I don't anneal either. Those early Federals split all the way down to the web in most cases. Must have been a bad lot 'cause I've not heard complaints lately.

HTH's Rod

Rod