sig sauer sp2022 or ruger sr9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
89grand said:
I know you're convinced the SR series guns have horrible triggers (mine don't) and are probably convinced they are quite inaccurate.

Actually ... I'm not convinced of anything ... except that the original SR9's that I fired several hundred rounds through, had horrible triggers and that that made them difficult to shoot accurately.

I doubt many would disagree with the above, and it's most likely a big part of the reason that the NEWER guns have far better triggers. Because if they DIDN'T ... they wouldn't sell hardly any once the new release hoopla faded away and after the early adopters got hosed with recalls, and guns that battered themselves to death ... with a horrible trigger to boot.

From everything that I've read ... the C trigger is not bad at all. Why it would be appreciably different than the full size when it's supposedly the same mechanism is beyond me, but that seems to be the concensus here. Regarding accuracy .... I haven't fired a recently released SR9 or any C, so I can't say for sure whether they're better or not.

Just goes to show ... stay away from new releases .... whether they're guns or cars, or Rugers or Chevies.

REV

A

Anonymous

My SR9 (which looks slightly different internally than the first series) and SR9c appear to have the exact same trigger mechanism, and they feel nearly identical too. The SR9 actually feels slightly better, but it's been shot, the SR9c has not, but as they sit, they're real close.

I've never felt the really bad first series triggers, but I wish I had, so I could tell you the difference, but based off of what people have said about them, my SR9 trigger is MUCH improved over those first guns.

I don't like being a guinea pig either so I usually wait on things first released unless it's just a newer version of something that was already proven.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
25, 28.5, 29 ozs, what ever. They all get lighter as you shoot it :wink: that is the best part.

BTW, the sig 2022 is 29 oz per the spec sheet.

I just could not shoot a Sig, can't speak German or Swiss. There is a reason, I speak American English, and my SR1911 loves it when I talk to 'er that way :)

I must admit, this is my first 1911, and I like. :D :D :D But I like my P 85, P89, P91,...SR40, yup every one of them.

Jake Bauer

Bearcat
Different strokes I guess. I'm not a huge fan of striker guns mostly cause I dont feel quite as safe carrying them cocked. With a DA/SA I know I can carry it loaded in the chamber and safely de-cocked, or with my HK I can cary it cocked and locked If I want. And If its such a big deal that the first trigger pull is so unbearably long, why not just pull the hammer back?

I guess I dont get the high bore axis either. I've had no problems hitting my targets very well with my Sig and HK.

For the record I did shoot my friend's SR9C and thought it had a pretty nice trigger. Better than any glock or SW MP Ive shot come to think of it.

A

Anonymous

DA/SA's are not bad, I just don't prefer them any more but I'd buy one no problem if I liked the gun, just to have it and shoot it.

The high bore axis isn't an accuracy issue, I just don't like the feel of it in the hand vs a low bore axis gun like the SR's or Glock or M&P type gun. My P94 has a pretty high bore axis vs the SR's. Physics though, make recoil more controllable with a lower bore axis, that can't be denied.

I consider striker fired guns as somewhere between a single action and a double action. It's not really either one. They don't have the long hard pull of a DA, but they don't have the really light SA trigger. They're more of a SA length pull with the weight of pull closer to DA.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Bore axis .... schmoor axis .... hold the gun properly and train with it, and it's a non-issue ... especially with a super soft recoiling gun like a 9. :D

This seems to be the catch-word of the decade (so far) .... it's all you hear about anymore with regard to semi's. How come people can shoot revolvers just fine, and have always been able to, in far larger and more powerful calibers, and they have one of the highest bore axis's possible ? If a 9MM has too much 'muzzle-flip' for you .... work out a little and stiffen up those limp wrists .... :D

People would be far better off buying a gun that fits them well, and is a quality gun, rather than buying a spec like bore axis ....

REV

A

Anonymous

When I bought the SR9 I wasn't looking for a gun with a low bore axis, it just so happened that when I picked up the Ruger I immediately knew it was the right gun, it just felt right. I just consider the low bore axis a plus, not really a requirement.

I used to have a Redhawk .44 Magnum and have owned a few .357's, so recoil doesn't bother me at all, and of course a 9mm is very easy to shoot regardless, but no matter what you shoot, well, assuming normal pistol calibers, muzzle rise does happen, maybe not much but it does. I notice it less with the SR9.

I did buy a gun that fits me and is a quality gun, in fact I bought two, the SR9 and C. :D

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
89grand said:
.... and I also prefer the low bore axis that the Ruger has vs the rather high bore axis of the Sig. Due to having a hammer, all DA/SA guns will have a higher bore axis (although some higher than others like Sig). Somehow they managed to screw that up on the Springfield XD because it has a high bore axis for absolutely no reason, obviously there is no hammer.

Not exactly true, CZ75 framed guns, have a slighty lower bore axis than an SR9, about 1/10th of an inch.

revhigh

Hawkeye
OK ... I'm confused a little here ... I'm not sure if it's me or others who are misinterpreting 'bore axis' terminology.

I thought that a high bore axis meant that your hand can be closer to the axis of the bore, and that low bore axis meant that your hand was farther away from the axis of the bore (like a revolver).

If you're talking MEASUREMENT, then it would be opposite obviously .... a lower number (or measurement) would mean that your hand is closer to the axis of the more, and a higher number would mean that your hand would be farther from the axis of the bore (like a revolver).

Anybody know which it is for sure ?

When somebody says a gun has a high bore axis ... I've taken that to mean that the hand can be placed CLOSER to the axis of the bore. Is that correct or opposite ?

REV

A

Anonymous

Cheesewhiz said:
89grand said:
.... and I also prefer the low bore axis that the Ruger has vs the rather high bore axis of the Sig. Due to having a hammer, all DA/SA guns will have a higher bore axis (although some higher than others like Sig). Somehow they managed to screw that up on the Springfield XD because it has a high bore axis for absolutely no reason, obviously there is no hammer.

Not exactly true, CZ75 framed guns, have a slighty lower bore axis than an SR9, about 1/10th of an inch.

I don't have a CZ to measure it, but it certainly doesn't look lower than a SR9.

Are you talking about from the top of the trigger opening to the top of the slide, or from the beaver tail type section in the back to the top of the slide?

I can't see how a hammer could even fit it it's lower than the SR9, which is the area I would measure, not the distance from the top of the trigger opening.

Although I will say the CZ's, like my Star Model 30 are about as low as it gets with a DA/SA.

Rev, the lower the bore axis, the higher up on the gun your hold is. In other words, a SA revolver would have the highest bore axis.

revhigh

Hawkeye
89grand said:
Rev, the lower the bore axis, the higher up on the gun your hold is. In other words, a SA revolver would have the highest bore axis.

Thank You !! So it's the MEASUREMENT, not the orientation of the hand.

Supposedly, from the research I've done, it's the measurement from the axis of the bore to the top of the knuckle of the trigger finger, although this could certainly vary depending on your hand, but would still give an accurate depiction between guns if the same hand was used ... LOL

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
revhigh said:
89grand said:

So it's the MEASUREMENT, not the orientation of the hand.

Supposedly, from the research I've done, it's the measurement from the axis of the bore to the top of the knuckle of the trigger finger.

REV

Exactly.

Rev, I know you feel it is less than important but it one of the reasons I like CZ's so much. If you shoot rapid fire for accuracy, it puts you back on target quicker.
Besides reduced muzzle flip, and I agree on a 9mm that should be minimal if you know anything about proper grip and mechanics.
It is easier to resight a pistol the closer the sights are to the top of your hand.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz said:
Rev, I know you feel it is less than important but it one of the reasons I like CZ's so much. If you shoot rapid fire for accuracy, it puts you back on target quicker.
Besides reduced muzzle flip, and I agree on a 9mm that should be minimal if you know anything about proper grip and mechanics.
It is easier to resight a pistol the closer the sights are to the top of your hand.

I can see that. For those that regularly practice high speed shooting ... and I know you do .... I don't doubt that a big bore axis difference would matter. Who knows ... maybe it's why I like CZ's so much and didn't even know it. I don't do all that much high speed shooting .... usually double and triple taps when I practice. I've always been one to adapt to the gun I'm holding rather than buying guns that have a certain 'spec'.

I'm not doubting that it could make a difference if the delta was large enough .... more commenting on people buying a certain gun just BECAUSE of an incrementally different spec.

REV

Jake Bauer

Bearcat
revhigh said:
Bore axis .... schmoor axis .... hold the gun properly and train with it, and it's a non-issue ... especially with a super soft recoiling gun like a 9. :D

This seems to be the catch-word of the decade (so far) .... it's all you hear about anymore with regard to semi's. How come people can shoot revolvers just fine, and have always been able to, in far larger and more powerful calibers, and they have one of the highest bore axis's possible ? If a 9MM has too much 'muzzle-flip' for you .... work out a little and stiffen up those limp wrists .... :D

People would be far better off buying a gun that fits them well, and is a quality gun, rather than buying a spec like bore axis ....

REV

That's pretty much how I feel about the whole bore axis argument.

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
It is actually the vertical distance from bore axis (center of the bore) to the hand (the place the leverage is applied from a fired cartridge)or the web of your hand. Not the finger, as there is not force acted upon by the gun to the fingers. The orientation of the web of your hand can be adjusted by grip design, how you hold the grip, as well as the physical dimensions of the frame/slide. All in all, should only matter to those who care, and I am not one of them :wink:

Mike J

Hunter
My XD & P944 both have high bore axises. I can tell a big difference between shooting them & my neighbors Glock 23. It does make for faster follow up shots. It is a trade off of sorts. With a lower bore axis the recoil pushes more straight back into your hand but the sights come back on target faster after a shot. With a higher bore axis there is less felt recoil but it takes a little longer to get back on target. Of course with 9mm recoil really shouldn't be an issue anyway unless someone is just especially recoil sensitive.

fixer

Bearcat
I have both and have been looking for a reason to trade the 2022.

I think the sr9 is the best pistol value on the market.

The 2022 is a great value but after owning it for a while, it really doesn't do much for me. I practically never shoot it.

fastexas

Bearcat
fixer said:

The 2022 is a great value but after owning it for a while, it really doesn't do much for me. I practically never shoot it.

Fixer.....I too recently bought a SP2022 in .40, and while I like the pistol just fine, like you I'm so-so about it's "specialness" to me. My Stoeger Cougar in .40 shoots and handles better. I really should have waited and bought a SR40c to keep my 9c company. I may end up selling the Sig and doing just that.

fixer

Bearcat
fastexas said:
fixer said:

Fixer.....I too recently bought a SP2022 in .40, and while I like the pistol just fine, like you I'm so-so about it's "specialness" to me. My Stoeger Cougar in .40 shoots and handles better. I really should have waited and bought a SR40c to keep my 9c company. I may end up selling the Sig and doing just that.

Right there with you. The bad thing is I bought one of the "German" made ones...roughly 500$. Now the Exeter NH ones are running 100 less NIB. Ugh...resale value went down big time. At least that has been my experience.

GKC

Blackhawk
If you already have the SP2022 and you are considering selling/trading it for a P95, I don't see the reason...both are comparable, but the SP2022 has a better trigger, IMO. BTW, Academy Sports has the SP2022 priced at $399 right now, and I think the P95 is at $349. Both are great values...but between the two, I would go with the SIG. The P95 is too big for me to grip comfortably...I can, but I didn't care for it, so I sold mine.

My personal favorite DA/SA 9mm is my SIG P229 e2...I have small hands, and the grip on the e2 fits me as well or better than my 1911s. Of course, it is a good deal more expensive.

The SR9 is a different category...if you want a striker fired polymer pistol, the SR9 is hard to beat. It has a very comfortable grip, it's not expensive, backed by a great company, and holds 17 rounds (in 9mm.) The S&W M&P9 is comparable, although I think the SR9 grip is a little slimmer.