Show me your Custom Ruger Original Flat Tops

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
Well i am considering customizing a rough 1957 Ruger Blackhawk 44 mag 6.5"...gun has already had the front sight modified poorly for a custom plexiglass insert which i am told was a popular mod back years ago...and if we are going to repair that..it will damage the bluing to remove it...so i am thinking doing a 4 5/8" barrel mod and correct front sight reinstalled and case harden the frame...and of course a custom set of vintage stag grips with original blackbird medallions and grip screws....i know it is only original once and figured this one would be the try this on...i would never want to alter a original one....i am sure i am not the first to think of this...so please show me the early flat tops u all have with your mods...they can be just grips to full modifications......thanks in advance God Bless,John....

I made my first post here about 5 years ago. The topic was this 4-digit .44. In short, I bought it in high original condition, put a few mild rounds through it and the ejector housing flew off. Turnbull is about an hour away and he repaired it but had to reblue the barrel. No longer original and, my first trip back to the range, the housing flew off again. Took it back for repair ...no charge, of course...but since it was now just a shooter I had him refinish the entire gun. I made some English walnut grips for it.
It's remarkable in that, with about 800 rounds through it since the refinish, there is not a trace of a turn line. I wish all revolvers were made that way.

VOlvyjd.jpg

you don't need to start out with a 'flatop' this was a 30 prefix protected sight gun, case color was done back when the old man was running Turnbulls......AND its a 44 Special............

tdZ9H4cm.jpg

It's your choice on custom options and some nice examples already shown would make it "better than new". If the barrel is the only issue, those vintage barrels do surface for sale periodically if you are looking for options to restore back to "original".

hdxr750

Single-Sixer
I have a 1960 .44 Flat Top. It's had the Main frame CCH and a set of Stags By Lone Star, and also shoots very well. Wish I could post a Picture.

jringo8769

Single-Sixer
wow...everyone...those are some real beauties....love the case hardening and all the custom work done to all of these...incredible work...where did u all have this done?........thank u all for sharing these pics...keep them coming.....if i do get this 6.5"...as they are more common ...i think i would want to do the mods i wanted...i have a very nice 7.5" i would love to do the case hardening too...but i do not have the heart to do it to that one...but i would love too...God Bless,John...

tom black

Blackhawk
Mike Campbell the only thing I see wrong with your flat top is...it isn't mine. That is simply a stunning revolver. In fact, it may even rival some of Bob Wright's beauties. Thanks for posting.
Tom Black

Thank you, Tom!
Purty as it is, it's still a shooter. The only thing that keeps it from being perfect is the original finish on the alloy grip frame. It's not real bad but you can tell it's 65+ years old.

On that note, I wonder if someone here has had the finish restored in a manner that would almost pass for factory original.

That is one of Ron Powers two piece #5 style grip frames for the old model Ruger. That gun was the first old model Ruger #5 that Hamilton built. I pestered him for a obut 3 years before he agreed to do it and the #5 base pin latch.

rmc25

Single-Sixer
First try didn't work so here goes. Previous owner abused this OM so I decided to have it refinished and shortened. Always wanted a short barrel OM 44. Got it back after my accident so never got a chance to fire it. I put flat bottom grips on it because I like the feel.
rmc

https://imgur.com/a/GvIUS