Should you stand or sit while reloading?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pal Val

Buckeye
I have a stool with casters. If you need all the leverage one gets from standing, you aren't putting enough lube on those shells.

...I think...

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Here's another vote for a barstool.

With plenty of padding...so you dont cut off circulation to the back of your legs.

Ted

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
BearHawk 357":dhs7z6an said:
Thanks for the insight. There have been several "votes" for a hybrid seated/standing position, now. This has got me thinking....

Hi,

Dunno what they use today, but decades ago I worked for USPS for a while, and they had a device they called a "rest bar" the clerks used when sorting mail.

While it looked like a stool, it wasn't intended to be used as such. It was more like having a wall behind you to lean against. There was a foot rest bar on it, too, so you could have some weight on the floor, some more on the bar, some against the seat. Properly adjusted, it allowed workers to maintain a semi-standing position for hours at a time.

If you're friendly w/ your local postmaster, maybe you could ask if they still use 'em, and if he/she might be able to show you one?

Rick C

Bucks Owin

Hunter
I have 3 herniated discs and don't like to stand OR sit for extended periods, whether loading at my 3 single stage presses or doing long casting sessions. Can't go wrong with a "tallish" bench and adjustable chair IMO....

SBH4628

Blackhawk
I stand when using my Hornady LNL AP and sit when using a single stage press/sizing bullets,,,,Don't know why :roll:

Cherokee

Single-Sixer
I stand for single stage loading at the bench, or using Dillon 650 (different bench). If I do set, for some step in the single stage process, I have a high stool that works fine.

Bell Swamp

Bearcat
I used to stand but now I sit. Getting an adjustable height chair certainly helps. I can sit and reload for a much longer time than I could stand. The old joints just can't take extended sessions of reloading while standing.

ra

Single-Sixer
My bench is an old section of a kitchen cabinet with shelves, doors, and drawers. It is 3' tall and I have always stood up.

ra

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
Mine is set up to stand at or to sit on a tall barstool while working. I kinda vary depending on what mood I'm in and what operation I'm performing at the time.

I'm with yankee7809 and some of the others. My bench top is 38" above the floor, holding a Rock Chucker. I can either stand or sit on my "bar stool" chair, and sometimes alternate during a loading session.

With a bench at this height, you can either sit or stand as you desire. With a very low bench, you lose the standing option pretty quickly.

JMHO
:)

WyoGunner

Single-Sixer
the bar stool method is definitely the way to go. In my opinion standing seems like a lot of extra work. I usually load about 400 at a time though.

Cedar Creek

Bearcat
I also have a tall loading table with a padded barstool for when I want to sit, and when I sit I usuall rest my foot on the table's horizontal cross brace.

By the way - Ernest Hemingway had a tall desk and wrote standing up. :shock:

Cedar Creek

Elmer

Bearcat
I load rifle ammo in small batches on a single stage, standing up at my garage workbench. I have a barstool available but have never felt the need for it.

Rclark

Hunter
I stand for most of the activity. Have a high bench. I also have a high stool if I want to sit. When I am at the priming stage, I usually sit. I hand prime all my cases with the RCBS hand priming tool.

Pal Val

Buckeye
After seeing two weeks of discussion on the matter, I would like to say that it is better to stand or sit while reloading.

Doing it while prone is hard, and could get tiring. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mandan

Bearcat
I set mine up for standing. This way I can stand or use a barstool with a back. Depends on how my lower back feels whether I want to stand or sit. This way I can do both.
Dan