shotgun recommendation

Help Support Ruger Forum:

pennsy

Bearcat
Looking to buy a 12 Ga pump shotgun for home defense/possible turkey hunting. Prefer US made looking at Remington 870 or Mossberg 500. Any suggestions or other recommendations.

thanx Rich

Ken Dowdy

Bearcat
I don't think you can go wrong with either a Remington or a Mossberg for those purposes. There are lots of options for both models. For turkey hunting, I prefer a camo model.

toysoldier

Hunter
Both are reliable designs that have been around a long time, with lots of accessories available.

Parts for the Mossberg (extra barrels, choke tubes, etc.) tend to be cheaper. Also, the tang safety makes it suitable for left-hand operation.

I do not recommend a pistol grip. Keep the full stock.

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
Nothing wrong with either Rem. 870 or Mossberg.
You said that you prefer American made.
However, my wife and I both have Benelli Novas - hers in 20 ga., and mine is a 12. They are ugly as sin (in my opinion), but have been 100% reliable. Problem with the Nova is that, if you want to buy a slug barrel for it, the barrel will cost almost as much as another gun; something to consider.

Jeff

Pal Val

Buckeye
I give the Remington 870 an edge in quality of manufacture. The Mossberg 500 has an annoying rattle in the pump action that makes it less desireable as a turkey gun. If you're left-handed, the Mossberg has an advantage with the tang-mounted sfety. The Remington safety is a bit awkward to use shooting left handed.

There's another American-made gun you can check out - the Ithaca 37. It's a 100 yr old Browning design that has come and gone over the years, but it's a fine gun. No interchangeable barrels, but it's a real quality product. It ejects straight down, a feaure lefties must surely appreciate. The safety is still a bit of a reach, like in the Remington.

trapperon

Blackhawk
I also pick the 870 over the mossberg. The deciding factor for me is Remingtons steel receiver vs aluminum on the mossy's.

Maybe a tad rough when new, but as they are used the 870 express wears into a smooth action.

Ron

Capn27

Single-Sixer
I had an 870 "Tactical" - admittedly a new one. There was no place I could break it in. Our range only allows slugs on the rifle range and it's silly to waste ammo on the trap range with a cylinder bore.

Rough? Every time I would try to load it, it would jam. I finally developed a work around the problem by holding the pump forward with one hand while I stuffed shells in the tube with the other. If I let the pump drift back even 1/8", it would jam the next shell. Then it took tools to get the jammed shell out. Very embarrassing when shooting a timed course. I detested that gun.

Finally traded it off to a guy who insisted that was the best shotgun in the world. Good riddance.

Then I bought a new Tristar Cobra, made in Turkey. Perfectly smooth right out of the box. Hits where it's aimed (the 870 was a foot high at ten yards). I'm happy. If Remington can't match the quality along with paying their workers a living wage, they deserve to lose sales. :?

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
I'd go with Ithaca but finding a camo model used is tough and new ones arent cheap but the 37 is imo about the best pump out there. Mossberg is an ok gun for a lower end model and I would take one of them over an 870 express model. Not tryin to hurt anyones feelings but I've seen nothing but trouble from express models and if you move up into a wingmaster...I'll spend the money on an Ithaca or a Browning instead...

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Im an 870 fan from way back. If you don't require the 3" chamber you can get great deals on the older high grade wingmasters in like new condition usually. I have picked up three of them in the $200 to $225 range. I find them smoother than the express. I also had good luck buying the express and tactical models for 2 different police depts. when I was the Chief of Police.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Actually, I would get the Mossberg home defense/field barrel combo semi auto.

Yes, the field barrel is 28" and the gun isn't camoflauged, but despite the fact that hunting shows and outdoor rags and brainwashed hunters insist you can't kill a turkey with such a gun one only has to realize that the wild turkey was extirpated across much of it range by hunters packing 30" barrel blue steel and walnut shotguns wearing clothing that most certainly was not camo!

mishtub

Blackhawk
I like the 870 youth model for home defense, shoots 3" and bbl. 21" is quick handling. Had a Mossberg 835 camo that was stolen in a home break-in, a little heavy which help tame the recoil but very dependable. Don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Snake45

Hawkeye
You are getting good information, advice, and opinions in this thread. :wink:

I own both. I've been shooting 870s since 1972 but have only owned one for the last five or six years or so. I've owned Mossbergs since about 1978 (I have three now, one on long-term loan to my kid.)

The 870 is by far the better gun. The Mossy isn't a "bad" gun but the Rem is much better fitted and can be made to operate much more smoothly. Mossbergs rattle and shake, even when new, and there's not much you can do about it.

The Mossberg is by far the better value. It'll do anything the Rem will but usually at much lower cost. A used Mossy 500 is among the planet's best firearms bargains. You can still find them for between $100 and $200. Hard to find even a used 870 for under $200 anymore, unless it's a beat-to-hell police trade-in (still functionally sound, but will look like ass).

It's easier to put a mag extension tube on an 870. If you want an extended mag on a 500, you have to buy it that way, and then you can't put a "normal" barrel on it.

Mossberg makes a simply delightful "Turkey Gun." 20" barrel with screw-in chokes, and a vent rib. It is hella cool looking and goes great with a Colt Python or Diamondback on your hip. :wink: Remington USED to have something similar but I'm not sure they offer it anymore. The Mossy Turkey Gun represents an OUTSTANDING value if you want one shotgun for turkey hunting, home protection, deer (with slugs or buckshot), other upland game hunting, and even an occasional round of informal skeet (you will have to put up with "real" skeet shooters whining about the noise of your short barrel--they are not used to the sound of "real" gunfire). :lol: :lol: :lol:

Both are good guns. The 870s, especially the older all-steel Wingmasters, are GREAT guns. Let your wallet be your guide, you really can't go wrong with either.

An anecdote regarding the Remingtion 870. Many years ago while duck hunting I wading through a shallow bay with a very muddy bottom. My hip boot filled with water and I fell over and completely went under water and my 870 was "stabbed" into the bottow with mud coming up past my elbow. I never let go of my gun and eventually got out of the water and into my boat. The 870 was totally covered in sticky mud!

I cleaned and cleaned that gun. I was able to shoot it many times after that without failure. Even on occasions, I could "feel" the grit as I pumped it. I always held the 870 in high regards as a reliable shotgun.

pennsy

Bearcat
thanx all for the replies...I have begun shopping at my local gunshops and will make a final decision subject to availability and price. Both Mossberg and Remington fit into my price range.

Capn27

Single-Sixer
I'd like to add to my previous posting. When I had a cruising boat (way back when my income would barely allow a toy like that), I bought a Mossberg Marine model 12 gauge.

It was Nickel plated, as I remember and had a pistol grip. We used to bring a case of clay pigeons and a hand thrower along when we went cruising in Puget Sound. What a blast! You could actually bust birds with that gun, but just remember to not bring it up to your eye like a gun with a full butt stock! You'd get a bloody nose. . .

I even got "busted" by the Seattle cops who hitched a ride on a 40' Coast Guard boat to chase us down, but that's another story. I got an apology from the S.P.D. before it was over.

I really liked that gun - rattle, single actuating bar and all the other faults attributed to the Mossberg. I would buy another one of those. It was smooth when loading, cycling and firing. Real light too, with a easy recoil for a 12 gauge.