Tri-Srar Shotgun

Help Support Ruger Forum:

spanky509

Bearcat
I own several 12 gauge shot guns including a Red-Label 12ga I bought in the mid -eightys I think. I 'm getting old and don't like getting beat up from the recoil. No intentions of hunting , just shooting clays. Looking for a 20ga. semi-auto that won't break me or the bank. That Tri-Star Viper Bronz is ,in my opinion ,a handsome shotgun. Any one with experience with this one ,or another 20ga. auto? Thanks in advance.

eastbank

Single-Sixer
I bought a Remington 1187 premium (wood) 20 ga 3 " for 550.00 in ex condition. it shoots 2-3/4 or 3" with a removable sleeve to shoot either, no barrel change. I have several thousand rounds thru it, mostly 2-3/4-7/8 oz # 8 with out any ftf-fte.

wwb

Hunter
Not familiar with that particular gun, but if you intend to shoot a lot, its long-term reliability may be questionable. The Remington 1100 has been around for a long time, and with occasional O-ring replacement, has proven itself over tens of thousands of rounds.

If you don't intend to shoot that much, it ought to be fine.

I bought my little sister a Turkish made Charles Daly semi auto 20 gauge. Knockoff of an Italian designed gun-Beretta or Benelli, I don't remember which. It puked out its innards after minimal use with light field loads. Actually fell apart. Last Turkish made shotgun I'll ever buy.

OP-there are several manufacturers that offer light 12 gauge loads that kick less in a 12 gauge gun than a field load in a lighter weight 20 gauge gun. You might try some of those in one of the good 12 bores you already have.

Winchester AA X-tra Light target being one we have used.

jjas

Single-Sixer

grobin

Blackhawk
Browning imports a Turkish made shotgun in one of their budget lines-darned if I can find the article-the Turkish company also makes a 7 shot 12ga that's real popular in Oz. A friend has one and she likes it a lot. I think hers is Adler arms but not sure. As I remember the Browning is available in: 12, 28, & 20ga.

coldmaker0

Bearcat
I have the tristar 20 gauge bronze shotgun. have only shot it a couple of times. fit and finish is very good. these are distributed from Benelli and look very much like a Benelli.

Tri-star shotguns have improved immeasurably since they went to Turkey to have them built. I believe it's the same company Benelli uses. Their warranty is out of Florida I believe, and they are mostly using it to fix older shotguns and get very few returns for the newer shotguns.

Hunter6657

Single-Sixer
I have a Tristar Viper G2 20ga auto with matte finish and it has been a great shotgun.
I also had one in a 28ga that I liked a lot as well. I used them to shoot 5 stand clays in West Monroe but haven't done that in a long while since my mom passed away in March 2017 and lived in West Monroe.
I traded the 28ga Viper on a Rossi 28ga double barrel which was the first one I had ever seen in that gauge.
You might try looking on Shotgun World forums in the Turkish section for reports on shooting the Tristars.