An American Made SxS Shotgun...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

And it's not Ruger.

https://www.savagearms.com/fox/

Savage is again releasing an American made double-gun. I'm surprised they think there is a market for such a gun. And if there is, it's too bad Ruger can't get back in the game with the Gold Label.

I like it. I have always been a fan of the Side by side. I have owned a Browning SBS or two over the years. I owned a Lafever Nitro 20 special 20 years ago. I would break clays with it at the skeet range. Some old guy made fun of me once and asked if I was going to start wearing English riding boots to the range. I guess I drifted away from side by sides. I would want a 20 or 28.

Bill

Always liked the look of a SXS. But they just never felt "right". Now, my Citori OU is a marvel. Shoulders effortlessly, swings with a grace and smoothness no SXS ever even came close to for me.

I hate to say this, but my 20 ga Browning is a better upland game bird gun than my old Franchi 48L 20. And I used that Franchi for thirty years and loved it every time I used it.

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
The December 2017 issue of the American Rifleman has a review of it. Nice looking SxS, and for US$4995.00 it should be, but craftsmanship and a firearm appealing to a niche market will not be inexpensive.

Always liked a SxS as I grew up shooting them. 'Nevva' had the funds for a really fine one and so I still have my 1962 Stevens 16 gauge M311. I can still hear some of the then old timers say of the 16: "swings like a twenty, hits like a 12."

DGW1949

Hunter
Beautiful gun, but my vanity don't run deep enough for me to pay anything close to 4-digits for a shot gun...let alone 5K.
Myself, I'd rather have a new 311 and not have to worry about it getting scratched, dinged, or devalued the first time I shot it...

But that's just me. My wife say's that I'm way too practical for my own good.

DGW

5of7

Hunter
Beautiful shotgun and I thought I wanted to buy one until I saw the price.

Just to be picky--are we allowed to be picky about a 5K shotgun?--I noticed that the ad mentioned a charcoal colored receiver. I would have been happier if I was assured that it was indeed charcoal case hardened, rather that just colored.

Also, I would have preferred a selective single trigger over double triggers, but perhaps they were shooting for something a little more retro, although selective single triggers have been around for a long time now. 8)

Dranrab said:
I have never understood why recoil pads are so rare on doubles.

Utility is second to artistry in a fine double gun. From the bead at one end, to the butt plate on the other end, everything is purposely designed to be pleasing to the cultured eye. A beautiful double gun with an awful recoil pad just is not cool. Remember too, a gentleman, when carrying his double gun afield, is wearing his shooting coat, with a recoil pad sewn into the shoulder of the coat. 8)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
5of7 said:
I would have been happier if I was assured that it was indeed charcoal case hardened, rather that just colored.
I'm not sure about this but perhaps modern Cr-Mo steels used for these receivers won't take the old case hardening heat treatment. They certainly don't need it for strength or wear resistance.

Flyrod

Bearcat
My first shotgun was a Savage Fox SBS, 20 ga, 26" barrels, choked IC/Mod, double triggers. It was perfect for rabbits and grouse in the northeast. That one was stolen, but nothing feels as natural in my hands. I have other doubles now, but I sure miss that one. $5k does seem a little steep for this new model, at least to my eye.

Arky

Single-Sixer
S X S lover here. I especially like the two trigger variety. I scratched that itch with the CZ made in Turkey. It is a 20 ga and a very sweet little gun. I am not likely to pay their price for an American made one although American Rifleman magazine called it an economy model!

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
At least it has double triggers. As to recoil pads on shotguns, I have never liked them. For quick snap shooting when birds are flushed, a smooth hard butt plate slides up into the shoulder much quicker (for me) without getting snagged on clothing. Five grand is a little out of my price range though.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
I was pretty excited to see this in American Rifleman, until I got to the MSRP. Georgeous gun, get what you pay for.

mac66

Single-Sixer
There are lots of American made SXS out there but they are mostly all well used, made in 30, 40s and 50s and you have to look for them. I have 4 of them from those vintages. 2 -20 ga and 2 are 12 ga. My brother has an original Fox 12 ga. The funny thing is that many, many American made double barrels were budget grade guns made for and sold through Sears, Wards or hardware stores and were made by Crescent Arms, Stevens etc.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I had to look to realize who's making the gun for Savage. Connecticut Firearms seems to enjoy a good reputation for such work, and I seriously doubt the guy interested in one of the Fox repros is gonna flinch at the price. In fact, where most of us would put such a gun in the safe, he's likely to have it out in the field several weekends every Fall...

It's been a long time since I did any serious trapshooting, but still drop in to a shoot once or twice a year to see if I recognize any old faces and make some noise trying to break those little clay birds. One of the biggest differences in the game from when I played it seriously and seeing it today is that it's become a "fashion show" for high dollar guns (even if they don't shoot any better than an off the shelf Remington 870.) There are fewer and fewer ranges and opportunities to shoot in this part of the world, so the social aspect is taking over from the simple shooting part.

As hunting access succumbs to urban sprawl thru more and more of the country, I can see a similar growing market in the not so distant future for "look at this" guns even in the field as our bird hunting migrates toward being a sport more for the well heeled than Joe the Working Stiff. Especially for the guys who can drop $1000s into a South Dakota pheasant hunt one week followed by a similarly priced duck hunt down in LA the next, and not think any more of the prices than if they were taking the kids to a movie on Saturday afternoon!

Hope this gun catches on! Mean time, my 1930 L.C. Smith will go on a couple more dove trips here in CA before we get stuck shooting "non-toxic" loads at them and its value has to be forever ruined by installing steel friendly choke tubes, or it's retired to a target field. Maybe by then I'll have enough saved up for a new Fox... ;)

Rick C

winchester348

Single-Sixer
I fingered one at the NRA show here in Atlanta. Nice but not $5k nice. I could buy a CZ or Ugartechea and still have enough money left over to buy a life time of shells.