Shot My New f1 Chronograph -- Almost

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jack

Single-Sixer
Had it set up on a tripod. Was shooting from 10 ft (standing without a rest). Running 357's and 38 sp's thru it. Hit one of the rods that hold the light shield/screen. Two piece rod ... found one ... the other must have gone into the tall grass nearby. Going to make a shield (for the instrument part) from channel steel before using it again. Also going to make a "rest". Also going to "make" another support rod for the light shield. Whew! That was close! :)

I'm curious to see how different amounts of crimp affect bullet velocity for a given bullet and powder charge. :?:

Sagebrush Burns

Single-Sixer
If you shoot enough rounds through a chronograph, sooner or later you will shoot the chronograph. I have, more than once...

Enigma

Hunter
There are two kinds of chronograph owners; those who have already shot their chronograph, and those that WILL shoot their chronograph. I number myself among the latter, so far.

Bucks Owin

Hunter
There are a third group of chrono owners:

Those who will never shoot their chrono because they make a conscious effort not to!

I count myself in the third group... :wink:

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
then there's the fourth group that buys them ..... that puts them in the closet out of fear they may shoot them

Rclark

Hunter
I always shot across a chronograph (9-10feet away) from a rest at a set target 15Y or more away. I've marked with tape on the rods where the bullet should pass between (per manual) and adjust the tripod accordingly. Takes a bit to setup properly (back and forth, back and forth, ...) . Then commence testing. Like Bucks, I haven't shot mine yet after a lot of rounds over the chronograph.... Glad yours is still ok!

pps

Single-Sixer
I absolutely HATE to admit this, but I shot mine last month... in front of my son who I had JUST lectured to not hit the machine.

Passtime

Bearcat
I keep a bunch of cut to length 3/16 wooden dowels in my chrono box for rod replacement. I also find putting a target behind the chrono helps me by having something to aim at but then again my range is behind my house. Here is a interesting approach.

154hpuu.jpg

jack

Single-Sixer
Thanks passtime. I plan to do something similar, but mine will not be as pretty as yours. :)

Rclark

Hunter
Yep... Target centered down range (at least 15Y) and shooting from a bench rest. Makes it very unlikely to nail your chronograph.

Passtime

Bearcat
jack said:
Thanks passtime. I plan to do something similar, but mine will not be as pretty as yours. :)

Your welcome. It may look silly to some but it has saved my chrono more than once. Pretty....:shock:

Lost Sheep

Single-Sixer
jack said:
Going to make a shield (for the instrument part) from channel steel before using it again.
My channel iron "armor" cost almost as much as my chronograph, but it is heavy enough to deflect a hit from a .500 S&W and good insurance.

Check this thread:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&f=2511043&m=446105658

Lost Sheep

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I always use a rest and line up from the rest through the middle of the chronograph to the target before doing any shooting. No problems so far. When you hand hold there is always the chance that you will be moving the gun around. My tripod for the chronograph is set to the correct height and I don't change that. In fact everything at my range stays the same, benches, rest, target stands, etc. :D

jack

Single-Sixer
^^^^^ AMEN !! to the above link. In my case, what makes it really embarrassing is I was shooting my longest barrel revolver (4" Security 6) single action. So .... undoubtedly, "I flinched" as someone said above. Got the "armor system" and support systems (rests) finished today. Will try to post some pics in a few days.

I'm not real sure about the safety of accidentally shooting an "armored" object 10' from the muzzle. I'd just as soon buy another $100 Chrony as have a rebounding bullet stuck in my face.

Latest posts