Shop Ruger data breech

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RSIno1

Hunter
Just saw this on CalGuns. It said the malware has been in place for 2 years. https://www.myinjuryattorney.com/data-breach-alert-sturm-ruger-company-inc/

August 19, 2022 – Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc., reported a data breach after the company was targeted in a recent cybersecurity attack. As a result of the breach, the first and last name, shipping address, email address, payment card number, expiration date, security code, billing address, gift certificate number (if applicable), description of the product purchased, price, and quantity of certain individuals was compromised. On August 18, 2022, Sturm, Ruger & Company, Inc., sent out data breach letters to those individuals whose information was affected by the breach.

I'm not sure if I've bought anything in the last couple years from them. I might have. But I sure wouldn't trust an email that told me of some data theft.

I have bought from them recently so I expect a letter oulining everything. A month or so ago I got (through USPS mail) a letter from Numrich, they had a breach also and explained what happened and what to do to mitigate any problems.

xtratoy

Buckeye
Most companies I have had that type of notice from send a mailed letter sometime after the fact informing you about the breech and telling how to monitor your financial accounts that could have been compromised.

blammer

Single-Sixer
Thanks for posting. Fact that no one seems to have tried to use the information for 2 years makes you wonder who or what entity gathered the information. Since apparently not using it to steal money, what are they getting out of it?

Unless it's pretty sophisticated malware (like government-sponsored kind), you'd think Freestyle would be checking for that and using protective software.

hittman

Staff member
Just opened my letter. Seems they’ve done everything they’re supposed to. As usual, the info wasn’t stolen directly from Ruger but rather from their processing company.