Shoot or not..........

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mattsbox99

Hunter
"Collector value crap..." I can't believe dipshits are allowed to post that.

Just recently a Hawkeye that sold for $78.50 new sold for $3894... and it wasn't a 2 digit.

Obviously your gun isn't a Hawkeye, but its not like they make 2 digit OMs anymore.

Keep yours tucked away and pick up a shooter.

Quattroclick

Single-Sixer
Just a note on prices for old model 30 Carbines. For the last month or so I was looking for a 4 digit shooter. On GunBroker, two nice guns with no box or papers sold for right around $630 each. I would expect a new in the box 2 digit to be worth at the very least a $300 premium to someone. Probably more.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Well, here's what I'd do.

Post the serial number so we collectors can be informed as to what has "surfaced".

Be prepared to receive multiple offers of $ and/or similar valued merchandise.

I would certainly believe that keeping the gun pristine is the way to go.

I don't have a "two digit" s/n .30 Carbine in my collection, but I have "as close and one can get" example.....

48278843.jpg

flatgate

Hey one of the '899' 3 digit guns.......nice one, I sold my #51x last year for $450 to a "friend"......

yessir, flatgate hit it on the head, you post or picture the gun and it's serial number, and just sit back and see what happens....yep, you should end up with a bunch of money AND a NICE shooter, BUT , then what would your friend 'think', hell he could do the same thing...........don't burn ANY bridges, a friendship is far MORE valuable than a pocketfull of spending cash,which will be gone....soon :wink: Me, Don & Bill have been wheeling, dealing, trading ,back and forth, nobody keeping score, and often little or NO money paid,...........

My final .02 cents worth :roll:

Rclark

Hunter
Just a hunk of metal guys :) . My motto is "Every gun I buy, will be shot". I don't believe Sturm & Ruger ever meant their guns to gather dust, but to be used, and used, but not abused until they are finally shot out. I 'admire' how they shoot, not admire them behind a piece of glass or hung on a wall. Just one man's opinion. :)

Hawgleg44

Bearcat
OK, this thread is pretty much all for nothing. It's not an Old Model like he originally said it was and there is a slight turn line on it. Still unfired, but not NIB, either.

It's a 2 digit serial number, but a New Model 2 digit SN.

looks like I have a good shooter after all, which is what I was looking for anyway.

100_2709.jpg

100_2710.jpg

100_2711.jpg

100_2712.jpg

100_2713.jpg

100_2714.jpg

CraigC

Hawkeye
mattsbox99 said:
I must be a dipshit too because if I can't do what I want for significantly less money, I'd shoot a collectible any day of the week. If I found a 1st generation Colt SAA that I could buy for $500 and sell for $2000, that might be a little different. I'd sell it and buy an engraved USFA Pre-War. I wouldn't go to too much trouble offloading a collectible Ruger and than finding a suitable replacement to save $200. Especially when an equally nice "shooter-grade" sixgun cannot be easily procured. Nice guns shouldn't be reserved for self-righteous collectors who think their purposes are somehow more noble. :roll:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
Well I have been a gun trader most of my life and a gun nut all my life. If it were me I would get the carbine and put it up and go out and buy a new 30 carbine to use and enjoy. A gun is worth whatever you can get for it. You could run some pictures on the classified's here and see what kind of offers you get or just sit on it for a while. I have played all these games and had some really rare guns in the past I have had consecutive # guns and all that. A early # gun is a good thing but if your gun serial # is 99 there are 98 that are worth more in the same condition. Personally I don't own safe queens if I have a gun I shoot it. Come to think of it I don't even own a safe. To the right collector your gun is a rare find but finding that guy is like finding a needle in a haystack. I have 2 shooter 30 carbine rugers one I bought brand new and wanted to have a 4 5/8" but ruger didn't offer it so I cut the barrel and made what I wanted. Then a while back I found another 30 carbine blackhawk and bought it. I haven't gotten around to having it cut yet but I plan on getting it setup just like the other one. I prefer the short barrel and love shooting my cutdown one. So I will do the same with the other one. The one I cutdown looks almost perfect with no wear at all the other one is about a 75% gun with wear and blueing loss. I buy my guns to use and enjoy.

mattsbox99

Hunter
CraigC said:
mattsbox99 said:
I must be a dipshit too because if I can't do what I want for significantly less money, I'd shoot a collectible any day of the week. If I found a 1st generation Colt SAA that I could buy for $500 and sell for $2000, that might be a little different. I'd sell it and buy an engraved USFA Pre-War. I wouldn't go to too much trouble offloading a collectible Ruger and than finding a suitable replacement to save $200. Especially when an equally nice "shooter-grade" sixgun cannot be easily procured. Nice guns shouldn't be reserved for self-righteous collectors who think their purposes are somehow more noble. :roll:

Yep, I'd say you qualify.

On the other hand, you make my collection more valuable. I have lots of guns to shoot, so I don't need to shoot the collectibles. I have a friend that collects WWI era 1911s. Since none of them are unfired, he always shoots one magazine full through each gun he gets. Obviously he is very careful when doing so.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize that I had just fallen off the turnip truck or that buying a gun and shooting it made one a "dipshit". I'm just glad I really don't care how self-righteous blowhards feel about what I do with my money or my property. How about you do what you want with yours and I'll do what I want with mine? I won't judge folks who buy guns and put them on a shelf if you 'try' to show the same respect to those who choose to actually shoot them. :roll:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize that I had just fallen off the turnip truck or that buying a gun and shooting it made one a "dipshit". I'm just glad I really don't care how self-righteous blowhards feel about what I do with my money or my property. How about you do what you want with yours and I'll do what I want with mine? I won't judge folks who buy guns and put them on a shelf if you 'try' to show the same respect to those who choose to actually shoot them. :roll:

mattsbox99

Hunter
Actually you did judge those who collect. This site is for shooters and collectors. Maybe you didn't notice. I actually don't care what you do with your money or property. If you want to buy up every OM Ruger and drive over them with a M1 Abrahms, you are free to do so.

You're also quite disrespectful in many ways. I didn't start the bashing, I merely offered a rebuttal.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Excuse me but who started the very first offensive post in this thread with the word "dipshit"??? Another member voiced his opinion and you respond by calling him a dipshit. Now you wanna call me disrespectful??? I would not have even posted in this thread if it weren't for your offensive post. Were we standing in a gunshop I would have a few choice words of my own for you.

PS, if you wanna swap your self righteous collector crap back and forth, feel free to do so in the collectibles subforum. I'll leave you to it. :roll:

RugerHound

Hunter
Hawgleg44 said:
I'm buying a NIB, 2 digit SN Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine tomorrow. It even has the original shipping box that it was sent it. Not even a turn mark on the cylinder. Factory oil all over it still, too.

I'm not a collector at all. I'm a fan of the .30 Carbine in my USGI M1 Carbines and have shot a Blackhawk in that caliber before and figured I needed one to go along with them. A friend of mine offered me this one out of his collection.

So, am I doing a big disservice to a collector's grade Ruger Blackhawk by shooting it, or is there not much of a demand for a it? Is there really any added value to it by being such an early gun, NIB, with the original USPS shipping box, too?

I'm really a shooter and want to shoot it, but if it's really a desired collector's item, I don't want to ruin that.

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got a very nice '71 model or a '68 4-digit model that I'd be happy to work a trade with! ;) I love the .30 Carbine for a shooter, and can buy very nice shooters all day long. Those NIB are real prizes to some collectors/shooters.

Good luck with your decision!

Hawgleg44

Bearcat
RugerHound said:
I've got a very nice '71 model or a '68 4-digit model that I'd be happy to work a trade with! ;) I love the .30 Carbine for a shooter, and can buy very nice shooters all day long. Those NIB are real prizes to some collectors/shooters.

Good luck with your decision!

Check out my update on Page 2. It turned out not to be an Old Model. It's a New Model. Still NIB and unfired, but it does have a slight turn line on it. So, it's no collector's piece, just a good .30 Carbine Blackhawk shooter, which is what I was in the market for in the first place.

I do appreciate the offer, though. After I made the original post I received several e-mails with trade/purchase offers.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Seems to me Bill Ruger didn't think much of collectors. He wanted people to buy his guns to shoot. Collectors should like guys who shoot anyway it just makes your collection of never fired guns that much rarer. Calling anyone a dipS8%#t is probably a little over the line for either side. I can seriously see both sides no I'm not going to go either way. Now if someone was bashing Rugers and admitting to lustful thoughts of Glocks or Hillary & Wessons then all bets would be off ..... By the way that New Model 30 Carbine looks like a peach of a shooter.

Major T

Blackhawk
I have never considered myself a collector. Also have had the gun loony disease and the gun trader (take the profit) mentality on rare or hard to find models. I cannot count the number of NICE Browning Safari and Winchesters that I picked up for a song and passed on to collectors for a nice profit. Now later in life, I wish I had kept a few of the nicer Featherweights, Super Grades and the rarer Safari models, including a .270 Olympian.

My advise is not to do anything hasty. Keep and fondle it for a while and give your attachment to a chance to surface. If you don't stay in love after the initial fondling, you were not in love, just in lust. jack

radicalrod

Hunter
Bill disliked collectors because they made more money on his guns than he did......he was all about the money....as for shoot it or keep it....just do what you think is right for you and live with your choice....a simple rule to live by....RR.

That qualifies as a "two-digit gun" because the New Models started out with the 51-prefix. It likely shipped in 1973. For what it's worth, there appears to be something odd about the last digit of the serial number, like perhaps the die was broken or something?

This would mean something to those collectors who like the low-numbered guns.

The cylinder turn line is to be expected on New Models.

:)

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
That qualifies as a "two-digit gun" because the New Models started out with the 51-prefix. It likely shipped in 1973. For what it's worth, there appears to be something odd about the last digit of the serial number, like perhaps the die was broken or something?

This would mean something to those collectors who like the low-numbered guns.

The cylinder turn line is to be expected on New Models.

:)

Good observation, I noticed that also. I thought it was an attempt to obscure the last number since some posters are concerned about showing the entire number.