series 70?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JNewell

Single-Sixer
Skalkaho Slim said:
It's generally considered a Series 70.

Although I imagine there'll be someone along who will nitpick it to death as to why technically its not. :roll:

:mrgreen:

dakota1911

Buckeye
Series 70 and Series 80 are Colt terms. Ruger elected to go with what many 1911 makers have done. They use a Titanium firiing pin with different rates on the firing pin, the mainspring, and the recoil spring to give customers a very safe system with fewer parts, thus less chance of failure than a Series 80 system or a Swartz system.

mistermills357

Blackhawk
I have a Colt Series 70 and the distinction is the collet (front collar) on the barrel.
It has splits, so it can slide on. A solid collet is probably what Ruger went with. The split types can be unreliable and break. And there goes you gun, probably right when you need it most.3
Dennis

JNewell

Single-Sixer
mistermills357 said:
I have a Colt Series 70 and the distinction is the collet (front collar) on the barrel.
It has splits, so it can slide on. A solid collet is probably what Ruger went with. The split types can be unreliable and break. And there goes you gun, probably right when you need it most.3
Dennis

The collet-style barrel bushing is a difference, but most people regard the firing pin block "safety" parts in the fire control parts as the real distinction between a Series 70 and a Series 80. The SR1911 models don't have the firing pin block "safety" parts.

DGW1949

Hunter
So tell me..... If we are to refer to all 1911-type semi-auto pistols which lack a firing-pin block as "Series-70", how are we to draw a distinction between a real Series-70 and all of the other variations of the 1911 which came before it?
If ask that because I presently own an unmolested 1911A-1 and it sure as shootin' isn't a Series-70, nor is it a Series-80. Actually, when ya get down to it, it's not even a 1911.....nor is Ruger's SR1911.

Frankly, I don't see much sense in confusing the issue, especialy when it comes to a Ruger. After all, aint it enough that the terms "Blackhawk" and "Vaquero" are confusing already?

But that's just me.

DGW

JNewell

Single-Sixer
DGW1949 said:
So tell me..... If we are to refer to all 1911-type semi-auto pistols which lack a firing-pin block as "Series-70", how are we to draw a distinction between a real Series-70 and all of the other variations of the 1911 which came before it?
If ask that because I presently own an unmolested 1911A-1 and it sure as shootin' isn't a Series-70, nor is it a Series-80. Actually, when ya get down to it, it's not even a 1911.....nor is Ruger's SR1911.

Frankly, I don't see much sense in confusing the issue, especialy when it comes to a Ruger. After all, aint it enough that the terms "Blackhawk" and "Vaquero" are confusing already?

But that's just me.

DGW

It probably isn't apparent, but I agree with you...speaking as the owner of two real 1911s.

modrifle3

Buckeye
I am new to the 1911 pistol. Can you explain why a 1911a1 is not a true 1911??? Are most modern pistol more a1 based? I have the Sr1911 as well as the Remington r1.

Snake45

Hawkeye
modrifle3 said:
I am new to the 1911 pistol. Can you explain why a 1911a1 is not a true 1911??? Are most modern pistol more a1 based? I have the Sr1911 as well as the Remington r1.
"1911" is today usually used as a generic term for the whole family. Most "1911s" are actually made to the 1911A1 pattern, more or less. The smaller pieces can be changed between the two but the major tipoff is the finger relief cuts behind the trigger; these were not on the original 1911s made before about 1924.

Few "1911s" today are made to actual 1911A1 specs, either. Most, including the Ruger and Remington, incorporate several "custom" touches and features that have become popular and pretty much standard in the last 30 or 40 years or so. You almost have to go out of your way to find a true 1911A1 any more, though a few are available.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
For details: http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/features.html
Does anyone know if the plunger tube is cast into the Ruger SR1911 or a separate part, as in the 1911 and 1911A1?
Geoff
Who is a curious fellow.

dakota1911

Buckeye
A better question would be does the SR1911 use a firing pin block (FPB). No. Hard for me to call it a "safety"

Series 80 Colts use a FPB, and it is based off the trigger. Taurus and a bunch of others manufacturers use it. Kimber IIs and S&W 1911s before the E Series plus others use the Swartz FPB which is based off the grip safety, and, yes it was developed by Colt in the 1930s. Colt throws confusion on the issue with its new Series 70 with no firing pin block and no collet bushing. The Colt collet bushing was on 5 inch Govs and Gold Cups from 1970 to about 1988, thus yes there were Colt 80 Series with the collet bushing, since Colt introduced the 80 Series about 1983. There were never any 70 Series Colt Commanders; they are called pre 80 Series. I could go on but I think that is enough Colt for now.

It is my understanding the plunger tube is part of the frame on the Ruger SR1911* line.

AEROCOLOR

Bearcat
How about 1911 based and leave it at that. The different makers and models are all variations on the 1911 platform. Too many to decipher now that everyone has climbed on the bandwagon.

For Colt manufactured pistols there are:
1911A1
series 70
series 80
series 90 (Double Eagle model)

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Snake45 said:
modrifle3 said:
"1911" is today usually used as a generic term for the whole family. Most "1911s" are actually made to the 1911A1 pattern, more or less. The smaller pieces can be changed between the two but the major tipoff is the finger relief cuts behind the trigger; these were not on the original 1911s made before about 1924.

Few "1911s" today are made to actual 1911A1 specs, either. Most, including the Ruger and Remington, incorporate several "custom" touches and features that have become popular and pretty much standard in the last 30 or 40 years or so. You almost have to go out of your way to find a true 1911A1 any more, though a few are available.

Would the Springfield Armory GI Model comes close to the 1911A1 Specs?................................

DGW1949

Hunter
AEROCOLOR said:
How about 1911 based and leave it at that. The different makers and models are all variations on the 1911 platform. Too many to decipher now that everyone has climbed on the bandwagon.

For Colt manufactured pistols there are:
1911A1
series 70
series 80
series 90 (Double Eagle model)

And then there's the "Government Model(s)" which were made for the commercial market, but were/are not "Series-70" either.
Traditionaly, Colt's Government Models have been very similar to the 1911A1 of any given era, but with different finishes, grips, and markings. I remember seeing a few early ones that even kept the lanyard loop on the MSH.
And lets don't forget their stand alone model which was made under contract for Argentina....the Model 1927. That one was built with a 1911A1 frame, featured an arched MSH, but retained the 1911 hammer, trigger, and grip safety. Noteworthy also, is it's black (not brown) checkered grips, that all of it's "non slip" metal surfaces were checkered the same as were those of the 1911, and that as-supplied, many were finished in Colt's famous blue...not parkerized.

There are also different variations of the 1911A1. Most notably, the "in service" change from a wide-spur hammer to the familiar skinny hammer, and it's absence of checkering. Somewhere along the line, it also lost it's original 1911-type thumb safety, which got replaced with the same standard safety still used today....which is sans the checkering also.
It aint unusual that military guns exhibit ongoing changes during service. Actually, it is the norm. These changes are/were made as up-grades during arsenal rebuilds, even during war time. M1 Carbines, the infamous M1 "Garand"....they had their share too..yet they retained the same model number throughout them all, as-did the 1911A1.....which to me, calls into question the widely-held concept of what constitutes an "original" gun. As far as that goes, it aint a big secret that some manufactures of war-time guns were using parts from other manufactures to facilitate their own production schedules, and that some (Winchester in particular) were experiencing such a failure rate during testing, that had Springfield Armory not stepped-in to get 'em on the right track, they were in danger of loosing their contracts.....so who's to say that any given military gun has to have all of it's parts marked as being from the same manufacturer, in order to be "original"?

All that may seem like way too much information, but the point is;
There's a lot of variations that can be found within various military model numbers in general, and/or within various Colt model names, but there aint but one "Series-70 Government Model"...so it should be rather obvious that the lack of a FPS does not a "Series-70" make.

Hope this is helpful.

DGW