Thinking about a Colt series 70.... Thoughts?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jmfc606

Single-Sixer
Some dealers have the Colts. There is a dealer on gunauction.com called sandman that has quite a few different models. I don't know who their wholesalers are, we use 4 or 5 different ones and none of them have any.

dakota1911

Buckeye
I had to remind myself I am on a Ruger forum. I bought a new Series 70 in SS about half a year ago for a little over $1K, but the same gunstore had a 5 inch blued steel XSE with beavertail, ambi safeties, Novak sights, etc for about a hundred more. Of course it would have had the Series 80 safety.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Just get an SR1911 it's based on a 70 series Colt. You are just paying for the Colt name. The SR1911 is a good accurate shooter. Save your money for ammo! JM .02! bhk

revhigh

Hawkeye
The Blackhawk Kid said:
You are just paying for the Colt name. bhk

As spoken by hundreds of others who can't afford or otherwise don't have the money to buy a higher level 1911 than the entry level Ruger, and there's nothing wrong with entry level guns .... No matter who makes them.

Just making that statement shows a lack of understanding of the finer points of 1911 construction and building.

You pay for the name of any superior product ... Whether it's BMW or Mercedes over Chevy ... Rolex or Omega over Seiko ... Or Guinness over Old Milwaukee.

REV

bgw45

Bearcat
For an investment of $1800 I would prefer a Les Baer. I believe the Baer to be better in Every aspect except name. JMHO

revhigh

Hawkeye
bgw45 said:
For an investment of $1800 I would prefer a Les Baer. I believe the Baer to be better in Every aspect except name. JMHO

I'd spend it a little differently ... a 9mm RO, a stainless loaded target model, and $200 worth of reloading equipment or components.

REV

modrifle3

Buckeye
revhigh said:
bgw45 said:

I'd spend it a little differently ... a 9mm RO, a stainless loaded target model, and $200 worth of reloading equipment or components.

REV
I love the 9mm RO I have some light lead loads that gun loves. They are crap in other guns but great in the RO. Just picked up 3 more kimber 9mm mags and a 10rd metalform. Kimber mags work great.

modrifle3

Buckeye
revhigh said:
The Blackhawk Kid said:
You are just paying for the Colt name. bhk

As spoken by hundreds of others who can't afford or otherwise don't have the money to buy a higher level 1911 than the entry level Ruger, and there's nothing wrong with entry level guns .... No matter who makes them.

Just making that statement shows a lack of understanding of the finer points of 1911 construction and building.

You pay for the name of any superior product ... Whether it's BMW or Mercedes over Chevy ... Rolex or Omega over Seiko ... Or Guinness over Old Milwaukee.

REV
I learned this the hard way. People always wondered why I only buy good tools. Other wise I would buy them twice. Until I got into the 1911 game I had no idea how much difference there was.

I still would like to get a SR and have it gone through and a match barrel installed to see what it could really do.