series 70?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
C'mon DGW .... don't go confusing the issue with facts and knowledge .... LOL. :D

REV

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
Actually, it is neither.

This.

Series 70 and Series 80 are Colt trademarks. Series 70 designation hasnothing to do with the fire control group, even though it's come to allude to the fact that the pistol doesn't have a passive firing pin block/safety.

Series 70 meant/means that the gun was equipped with a collet bushing and the patented Accurizer™ barrel.

Thus, there is no such thing as a Series 70 Springfield, Kimber, Rock Island, etc. Neither is there any such thing as a Series 70 Commander or Combat Commander. All Series 70 Colts were 5-inch guns...Gold Cups and Government Models.

And there were a few early Series 80 pistols...mostly Gold Cups...that had the Series 70 barrels and bushings. Colt has never been known for wasting perfectly good parts on a technicality, so I suspect that this was the reason for the Series 70/80 hybrids that are occasionally encountered.

1911Tuner

Single-Sixer
eagleeye43 said:
Just for the record I have three combat commanders, a 45, a 38 super and a 9mm that are series 70 and all have a 70B prefix

That tells us that the pistols were built in the 70s, and that they're made of carbon steel with a blued finish. If either of them had been finished in Satin (Electroless) Nickel,™ the B would have been an S...and you'd have thought that it stood for 70 Series.

Until a friend came along and wanted it more than I did, I had a blued Combat Commander with an 80B prefix, and I can assure you that there were no Series 80 parts in the gun.

Colt never built a Series 70 Commander-length pistol. All Series 70s were 5-inch guns.

Here's a picture of the 80B Combat Commander. You may have to enlarge it to see the serial number prefix.

CombatCommander2-1.jpg

Latest posts